PDA

View Full Version : Serious possible purchase - CANTER cutie - please critique!

Meadow36
Apr. 2, 2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3685:righteous-tiger-163q-2005-bay-gelding&catid=51:mountaineer-trainer-listings

I'm looking to do low level hunters (prob 3' max), low level eventing (BN/N) and fun stuff like hunter paces.

Let me know what you think! :eek:

joiedevie99
Apr. 2, 2011, 07:46 PM
He's super cute. If I went to see him in person, I'd check out whether he is behind at the knee at all in front. It's really hard to tell in the pictures. I'd also want an x-ray of the front fetlocks.

SidesaddleRider
Apr. 2, 2011, 08:29 PM
He is cute, yes.

However, he looks to have long, upright front pasterns -- which I am not a fan of, personally, as upright pasterns MAY be a future lameness issue waiting to happen -- not guaranteed, however.

What I really don't like is how downhill he is -- that is going to make if much more difficult for him to collect and learn how to carry himself properly and engage the hind, instead of dumping on the forehand.

He also looks a bit straight in the shoulder, but it is hard to tell, as the only pic they have of him with his neck level and stretched out wasn't taken straight on.

KBEquine
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm glad there are multiple pictures because his neck looks short in the 1st one & it looks just fine in all the rest. But I think he is cute.

I Also believe he is listed by a COTHer - Jessi P is her name here. Why don't you ask her what she thinks this guy could do?

My impression is that she wants the horses she posts to get to the right home for them. If what you want to do isn't what she thinks he can do, I think she'll tell you.

danceronice
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion from the photo but is he a bit butt-high for a six-year-old?

Overall I like him, but that does look odd to me.

Meadow36
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:11 PM
Yep, I've been talking with Jessi. I didn't realize she posted here. She likes the horse and thinks he'd be suited well for my purpose.

She is getting me a new video of him at liberty tomorrow, so that will help me decide if he's the right type or not.

dodedo
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:36 PM
what are the front shoes he is wearing? They seem to be glue ons?

Meadow36
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:39 PM
I think they are called "no vibe" shoes.

dodedo
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:46 PM
I think they are called "no vibe" shoes.

Yep thats it I think! Thx

Czar
Apr. 3, 2011, 07:34 AM
I like him!

For a local 3ft hunter; a horse can have a lot of conformation "faults" and still be perfectly capable of performing at that level...many for a long, long time.

The only thing I am really picky on is how they travel from the front & back. I've known 3 OTTB's that interfered - the one in front developed bone chips from hitting himself and the 2 that interfered in behind would fall off the lead which was INCREDIBLY frustrating.

A neck can almost always be fixed - this one doesn't look like that would be a problem...he's got a nice neck for a horse still in race training.

Hauwse
Apr. 3, 2011, 07:48 AM
I do not think this horse is downhill, point of the hip to widest part of the neck determines uphill/downhill balance, not croup/wither, and he looks pretty close to level.

I also think his neck is fine, it is the same length as his back, and that is good as far as body balance is concerned.

What I would look at is his front ankles, looks like some mild rounding has occurred, the osselets may be set, but it is a sign of wear and tear. As one poster noted he may be a little upright in his pasterns and ergo the osselets.

I his osselets are set or you can give them time to set if they are not he should be ok as long as you do not expect too much from him. I have seen many with worst ankles have long, long sound careers.

Meadow36
Apr. 3, 2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks all. I agree, my #1 concern would be the ankles, and I would have them checked out if I decided to go for it. That's why I posted him, to see if others catch the same thing as me or if I'm imagining things.

Still waiting on the new video of him at liberty. If he doesn't move the way I need him to then its not going to happen.

Go Fish
Apr. 3, 2011, 04:34 PM
While he is somewhat level, his hocks are too high for my taste. Common in racehorses, but not something I'd look for in a hunter.

I'd have the vet take a good look at the tendons on the front legs...particularly the left front. Looks like there's some filling (or there has been).

Shoulder looks wonky...not sure if it's the angle or placement.

I'd definately want to see this horse travel at the trot and canter.

His neck is doable...on the short side, but clean and well placed.

I'm okay with the front pasterns...some of the pics make them look upright...they look fine in others. I'd rather see this than pasterns set in front of the bony column. You see that a lot in OTTB and it's just asking for trouble on a jumping horse.

Make sure he has the step.

Lord Helpus
Apr. 3, 2011, 05:15 PM
He looks very nice. Yes, you can pick him apart (his pasterns and ankles especially), but heck, he is a $2500 horse with a lovely temperament. You are not going to get a perfect conformation hunter.

He does not look especially downhill to me. Perhaps by an inch or so, but not enough to cause a problem with training.

Jessi and I have been friends for over a decade and if she says she thinks a horse will be suitable as a lower level hunter and event horse, I believe her. She will take a pass on horses she cannot represent honestly -- She truly wants horses she sells to get into good homes and for their new owners to love them.

amastrike
Apr. 3, 2011, 05:38 PM
Front legs concern me. Very long cannon, long and upright pasterns, crazy high heels. Super cute, but the idea of landing a jump on those legs makes me nervous.

ETA: On the other hand, he's six and is sound after 43 starts so... I'm guessing his front legs work just fine for him.