PDA

View Full Version : petroleum pipelines

okggo
Apr. 2, 2011, 12:48 PM
Anyone here have pipelines running through their property? Or thoughts on that subject?

We are looking for property in the midwest and another of our favorites has petroleum pipelines running the whole rear of the property line. It's a huge parcel of land, the lines are a good 45 acres from the home and 40 acres from the barn. It was a crop farm, nice pasture land, etc. We understand the easements, right of way, and the fact we could never built on that part of the land - and I've read enough about pipeline leaks to totally freak myself out.

Anyone have this situation? Would you consider it? If yes what would the factors need to be? If no, why?

I've been reading about it all morning, I'm basically formulated my own opinion, but thought I would ask what others think.

It's the perfect place for us in every other way....and I'm just torn.

BasqueMom
Apr. 2, 2011, 01:20 PM
We hve one that crosses a back corner....never think about it. And we only have 4 acres.

deltawave
Apr. 2, 2011, 01:22 PM
I guess the main thing I'd want to know is how the oil companies historically have dealt with "issues" on land that their pipes cross, in terms of rapidly responding to environmental threats and compensating nearby landholders for damages.

WildBlue
Apr. 2, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'd get more information in two areas (need the contractual paperwork in hand and consulting a lawyer with experience in that area):

-Easement. EXACTLY what does it mean--how will it be maintained, how often would you have what kind of equipment on it, what is your recourse if they make a mess, etc.

-Spills or leaks. It should be a very unlikely problem to ever face, but *if* the worst was to occur, what kind of clean up and compensation would they be obligated to make. Right down to the details of things like requiring independant confirmation of abatement to below USDW (drinking water, pretty strict) or back down to background levels of specific chemicals, etc.

If both were favorable enough, I'd certainly consider the property.

Bluey
Apr. 2, 2011, 01:29 PM
There should be some contracts recorded in the court house.
Get a good contract attorney to look at all that paperwork.
If you buy that land, you may get the rights also to what that line is paying, that should be a considerable, nice paycheck, depending on what size line it is.
Generally those payments are several dollars per rod, again depending on the size and materials going thru the line.

You need an attorney to look at all that, it could be enough income from that alone to pay the taxes on that place.;)

wildlifer
Apr. 2, 2011, 02:13 PM
Definitely look at the paperwork. We have a liquid petroleum line that was just put in on part of the farm. They sure made a big ol' mess of mud cutting it, I'm not thrilled about all that washing into the streams and wetlands.