PDA

View Full Version : Bitting Option Help?

Rebels_Princess
Apr. 2, 2011, 11:45 AM
I'm looking into buying a new bit for my new Filly. She just turned 3 and I'm just starting to really work with her and I want make sure I do my best by her. So I'm thinking of buying her a good quality bit. The Herm Sprenger Dynamic RS Aurigan Eggbutt Style Bit has caught my attention and everyone I know just raves about the Herm Sprenger bits. Right now she can be a bit heavy on the forehand and she can be a little fussy with some head flipping (I have an appointment with the vet to make sure all teething is going well...just in case). She is still very stiff to the right with bending and still pretty unbalanced but she's only been off the track for 4 months or so.

Do you think this bit would be a good option to try? Any other ones you can think of? Also is it really an eggbutt? All the pictures I've seen of it make it look more like a dee.

I'm hoping she'll make a good hunter but for the next year or so I'm going to just be doing flat work with her and maybe some flat classes just to get her out and about. Maybe a school dressage show here and there.

NiQi
Apr. 2, 2011, 04:10 PM
Thats a super nice and pricey bit. Personally I would start with a cheap snaffle, eggbutt, rubber D blah blah blah. I would wait to see what kind of bit will work best before investing in the expensive ones. Who knows maybe you'll need to try a few before you find the right one?
Also If your going to do some dressage just make sure whatever bit you get is 'dressage legal'
Just a thought if you need bits, check out the tack shops consignment area.
Good luck and dont for get to post some pics for her :)

SnicklefritzG
Apr. 2, 2011, 04:16 PM
I tried a Stuebben double jointed snaffle bit with a copper center piece on one OTTB and they loved it. In moving to that from their previous bit, there was less head tossing and actually an interest in accepting contact.

I've heard good things about the HS bits too, but they are a lot more expensive. I think I got my Stuebben bit at Dover's for ~$30 or so.

edit: see if you can borrow bits from friends or other people at your barn until you find something you think may work. On the other hand, some tack shops might let you actually use a bit once or twice and return if if it doesn't work out.

Rel6
Apr. 2, 2011, 04:51 PM
Why start off with such an expensive bit? Play around with some more common ones, loose ring snaffle, full cheek snaffle, rubber D, even a happy mouth. She might go great in one of those and then you can spend your $$$ on something else (saddle pad, boots, blankets, etc)

Rebels_Princess
Apr. 2, 2011, 05:23 PM
Not saying I'm def going to buy it just seemed like an interesting option. People certainly seem to like these bits for a variety of horses and issues.

So far I've tired a regular dee which she wanted to suck back from and currently a happy mouth dee. I don't like the happy mouth bits though but she's at least not sucking back now but she isn't looking for contact either.

I have an oval mouth double jointed dee also but she doesn't want to look for contact in that either. I am just wondering if maybe a warmer metal would be the ticket...something she will actually look for and want to reach for. Copper or maybe sweet iron...or whatever the above bits are made out of.

CBoylen
Apr. 2, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'd try a copper roller or a black rubber dee first. Why buy something that expensive that isn't that special mechanics wise and is pretty unattractive to boot?

kinnip
Apr. 2, 2011, 07:30 PM
She may prefer a mullen mouth. I have two OTTBs who love a Happy Mouth mullen mouth Baucher.

amyginger
Apr. 2, 2011, 07:45 PM
When I bought my horse last year, I utilized the Sprenger bit rental program from Bit of Britain. I settled on the Herm Sprenger Dynamic RS Aurigan Eggbutt that you're interested in. The rental program is an affordable way to try a few really nice bits at a great price, even less expensive than buying several inexpensive options. Good luck!

ACMEeventing
Apr. 2, 2011, 07:57 PM
You say she is just turning 3? She is just in the infancy of her training. A simple, friendly, go-forward kind of bit is all she should be in while she gets her start. Look at the KK ultra loose ring snaffle.

The forehand, head tossing, etc is baby stuff. She is gaining strength and trying to figure out where the heck her balance is. COMPLETELY normal. Burying it under a heavy bit will delay her overall development. Patience, grasshopper.

And kudos to you for wanting to make sure you do right by her. Nice to see.

Rebels_Princess
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:50 AM
Thank you for the input everyone! I realize she is still very much a green bean and I'm in no rush. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to make her a 'willing partner' if you will. I def don't want to over bit her. She already has NO go button, what's so ever!

Here is a picture of her:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Rebels_Princess/outofpasture01.jpg
Sweet little bashful face at the camera :)