PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull

LeniH
Apr. 1, 2011, 11:01 PM
I'm finally trailer shopping. I will mostly be doing short runs to local shows, no long distance hauling. Cedric is a Clyde TBx and a big guy so I was initially thinking straight load so he would have more room. But now I a worrying about the trailer being unbalanced if I just have 1300+ pounds Cedric on the inside stall and no horse balancing it on the other side. He'd have less room in a slant but the load would be more balanced. He is a laid back horse who trailers easily so no issues there. My truck is an F250. Then a friend started telling me about bumper pulls that were unbalanced tipping over and that I should get a gooseneck. So straight/slant and bumper/gooseneck. Would appreciate any advice!

camohn
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:02 AM
if you can afford to go goodneck (since they are usually more expensive) then do it. I have a gooseneck now/had a bumper pull before. the quality of the ride for both horse and human is better in a gooseneck. When I had the BP the problem is speeds over 55 on the highway.....trailer would start to get trailer sway which is a scary thing. Then I got the anti sway bars put on. That was better.....but it is still better with the gooseneck. NO sway with the GN. It took a little bit to get used to backing the trailer into parking spots with the GN but that passed with practice.

Mudroom
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:06 AM
Agree, go GN if you posibly can. I haul my 1500 # 17.2 Perch/TB in a 2H GN straight load. 95%+ of the time he is the only horse, never had a problem. I haul with a F-250 also. We book about 10K miles a year on the road, but lots of short hauls too.

If your guy is that big he may not fit well in most "normal" slants. Some companies make slants deisgned for large horses, the stalls are wider, but mainly at a steeper angle so they are longer. But unless you need capacity for 3 horses I don't know why you want to choose a slant. Perhaps the best options for you would be straight or stock.

my $0.02

JB
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:14 AM
GN GN GN SL SL SL :lol:

My WB is 1300lb+ and it's fine to have just him in there.

Auburn
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:16 AM
I have never been able to talk my DH in to getting a gooseneck. I would switch in a minute.

I have driven both and love driving a gooseneck over a BP. I find that they are much easier to back up, than a BP.

Of course, I never could talk my DH into getting a diesel truck, either.

If you have the money, then I would go for it! You have a lot more storage room in a gooseneck, too.

wildlifer
Apr. 2, 2011, 02:16 PM
If all's the same, I'd choose the gooseneck too. That said, you'll be fine with a bumper pull as well and it can save you a fair amount of money. I haul my guy at 1250 lbs in a straight load bumper pull -- as with any well made trailer, it stays balanced and is not going to go tipping over unless you lose your mind and drive across some 45 degree slope or something equally idiotic, LOL.

Watermark Farm
Apr. 2, 2011, 02:24 PM
I pulled a straight load bumper pull with big horses for years, on both long trips and local, and thought it was just fine. The only time it was hard was on freeway trips in the wind.

I just switched to a 3 horse GN last year and it's also fine. It does ride more solid on freeway trips. I do find it to be a bit unwieldy in small places.

I find I am using both --- I use the 2 horse bumper pull for local stuff as it's easier to fit into small parking areas and such. The big GN for long hauls and when I have to take 2-3 horses.

Straight load for sure if you have a big horse! You can find nice 2 horse straight load GN trailers.

rustbreeches
Apr. 2, 2011, 03:20 PM
Since you already have a truck, go with the GN. Unless you are in a very cold area, I would humbly suggest going withthe stock type trailer that lets you tie a horse without any sort of divider. Some people even ship loose. I love the open aspect of a stock trailer with the bigger guys. Then they are free to 'sprawl' as much as they want to stay balanced.

merrygoround
Apr. 2, 2011, 04:13 PM
Gooseneck. Ship loose if you can.

LeniH
Apr. 2, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thank you everyone for all the feedback. I've waited so long I want to make sure I make the right choice.

philosoraptor
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:21 AM
Both types can tip over, lose control, or generally wreck under the right conditions. The big part of the equation is the driving including the sense not to cross a bridge in a 60mph windstorm or to weave through interstate traffic at 70mph.

GN pros:
- puts weight over axle and not behind it a few feet, so in theory it should be a bit more stable.
- you kind of have to go GN if you're looking at one of those monster sized trailers. If you need a full sized LQ along with space for 2 horses, you must go GN.

GN cons:
- hitch is more expensive. Trucks don't come with them. It may be harder to find a friend with a truck, if you need to borrow a truck to move your horse some day.
- the ones I have seen also have a higher gross weight, which i assume is from the extra trailer length. Look at your truck's max towing weight and be sure to keep in mind the weight of the trailer's cargo (horses, hay, water) and your cargo (friends, tack, whatever).
- you lose use of a smooth flat pickup truck bed, unless you go with a fancy "hidden" GN hitch.

Some people say GN are easier to back up, but I am not sure that I agree a GN is required. Part of the equation for turning/backing is the turning radius of the truck, I've found. If the truck has a terrible turn radius, it makes it more challenging to back any trailer up.

I currently tow a 16' BP stock trailer, and I've been really happy with how maneuverable it is for parking and how little it sways on the highway. I also loved my brenderup, even for towing the big horses. I've never felt either would tip over, push me off the road, or sway... as long as I respected the speed, road type, and driving conditions. Just my 2 cents worth.

In my personal opinion, I'd get anything BUT a slant load. They're deceptively small for the horse. Some horses don't like to load in them because the entry door is very small when you get the popular configuration of tack-compartment in rear. I've never seen a horse voluntarily turn himself to the angle the slant loads put them at, so I am not convinced it's easier on the horse. Check out the straight loads or consider a stock trailer.

Tiki
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:50 AM
GN stock combo. That means you have an open box and a dressing room for your tack and incidentals.