PDA

View Full Version : Shipping boots opinion: only on front legs to reduce kicking?

Cacique
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone,

A friend is shipping my old horse to a new barn (I'm away at school and can't get there) this weekend. When we dropped my horse off at the current barn, we left most of his stuff but not the shipping wraps. We took those home with us to wash, not expecting to need to ship the horse again. The friend who is shipping the horse this weekend uses shipping boots, but I'm in the shipping wrap club. My horse is used to wearing wraps, and one time when we shipped him and had to use boots he wasn't so happy to be wearing the boots (hopping, kicking, etc. before he loaded and while he was in the trailer).

I feel like it is better to just put front boots on him and leave the back ones of since I think those bug him the most and hope that he kicks less. I feel like if he's going to kick more wearing the boots the net result will probably be less good than if we just left them off.

I will continue to look into buying/borrowing wraps, but if this ends up being the scenario WWYD?

Thanks!!!

CBoylen
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:00 PM
Wraps or naked is my opinion. Boots are worse than nothing.

karlymacrae
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:28 PM
Wraps or naked is my opinion. Boots are worse than nothing.

Ditto. I bought shipping boots a few years ago because they were on sale, used them once, and I haven't used them since - I have no idea where they are. Get her to ship him naked. I usually don't wrap if the trip is less than an hour or so, unless the trailer is full or the horse is a bad hauler.

fourmares
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:51 PM
I'm in the wraps or naked camp too.

Kryswyn
Apr. 2, 2011, 12:06 AM
Why doesn't your friend put the boots on him and let him get used to them BEFORE the morning he ships out. If you think back, your horse probably didn't like his hind shipping wraps the first time you put them on either.

Personally I don't like shipping boots that go over the hock, but horses can get used to almost anything. It's just that most horse folks would never try a new bit the morning of a show, but think nothing about slapping on shipping boots, especially the awful kind with 8 forever tangling velcro strips, 10 minutes before loading.

Kryswyn
Apr. 2, 2011, 12:15 AM
Could your friend put the boots on the horse BEFORE the morning he ships out so he has a chance to get used to them? I bet if you think back, your horse probably didn't like his hind shipping wraps the first time you put them on.

Most horse folks would never think of trying a new bit 10 minutes before a class, but never bother to put on shipping boots a few days before the trip to allow the horse to become accustomed to the boots.

I personally don't like shipping boots that go over the hock, but horses can get used to anything. For the record, I hate the shipping boots with the 8 forever-tangled velcro strips. They're awful.

tallygirl
Apr. 2, 2011, 01:19 AM
Question for you all, not to hijack the thread, BUT I have always used shipping boots and my horse hops right in the trailer without any big deal. He just gets so antsy in the trailer and poops a lot, like anxiety, stomps his feet, etc. Maybe its the shipping boots? Although he walks around his stall with them on and around the ranch without any big deals? just curious, also what don't you like about the shipping boots?

He was laid up for the past 6 weeks and was in a standing wrap and doesnt mind them at all. Safer to ship with standing wraps?

TIA! And sorry OP to ask a couple ???'s :)

Cacique
Apr. 2, 2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys! Glad I was on the right track.

And no problem Tia, good question =) I hope you get an answer I'd be interested too. My guess would be it's probably not the main issue and probably more related to the trailer feel and noise.

STA
Apr. 3, 2011, 12:10 PM
Another vote for wraps or nothing. I lean towards the nothing option. I rode with horses from LA to NYC, I can't tell you how many times I had to reset bandages because they were bothering the horses. I find a GOOD driver and no wraps a good choice.

Treasmare2
Apr. 3, 2011, 12:23 PM
We have wide stalls with a full partition so I ship bare legged. For long trips I do a support/stable type bandage believing shipping boots are a terrible idea and too warm on some occassions. If it is a partial partition with a horse beside yours you may want to consider a shipping rap and bell boots or nothing at all. So many schools of thought on this but boots and wraps can cause trouble.

poltroon
Apr. 3, 2011, 12:26 PM
For me the choice is dependent on the size of the trailer relative to the horse and whether there are other horses in the trailer. If the horse is hauling alone in a roomy trailer, I happily haul with naked legs. But if you're stuffing a horse into a smallish trailer and there's the possibility the hocks might contact the back, and there's another horse, I'm much more interested in covering the coronet bands and protecting the hocks.

Ibex
Apr. 3, 2011, 01:20 PM
I agree on "it depends on the horse". I actually prefer shipping boots that come over the hock as my mare is fairly long, and I'd like to avoid rubs. If she's shipping by herself, I'll just put her in her brushing boots and bells to be safe...! We're usually shipping out to ride, so it helps that they're on when we get there :)

EAY
Apr. 3, 2011, 01:40 PM
My mare, for reasons known only to her, went from being a good shipper to being a bad scrambler. The first thing I did was take off her rear shipping boots because I thought they might be bothering her. It seemed to help a little. Now she travels in front shipping boots and standing wraps and bell boots behind. For longer trips or after a show or if it's hot I wrap the front also.

The last few trips she has been much better so I'm hoping the scrambling was only a passing phase. Still I don't think I'll go back to rear shipping boots, even though it is a pain to have to wrap for every trip, even three miles down the road to use an indoor.

karlymacrae
Apr. 4, 2011, 04:37 AM
Question for you all, not to hijack the thread, BUT I have always used shipping boots and my horse hops right in the trailer without any big deal. He just gets so antsy in the trailer and poops a lot, like anxiety, stomps his feet, etc. Maybe its the shipping boots? Although he walks around his stall with them on and around the ranch without any big deals? just curious, also what don't you like about the shipping boots?

He was laid up for the past 6 weeks and was in a standing wrap and doesnt mind them at all. Safer to ship with standing wraps?

TIA! And sorry OP to ask a couple ???'s :)

He probably just doesn't trailer well. I prefer shipping wraps because they're easier to use (to me.. it took me way longer to get the shipping boots on tight enough, but I can do a wrap in 15 seconds), provide more protection and don't slip as easily (although new no-bows are really slippery; but when they're "broken in" there's no problem).

Summit Springs Farm
Apr. 4, 2011, 06:52 AM
no shipping boots club !