PDA

View Full Version : help! jumping ahead of your pony?

gabster2
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:33 PM
hey,
I ride a 14 hander and i've started noticing that i jump ahead of him sometimes, so if you guys have any exercises or advice on how to nip it in the bud before gets worse.

Aerial
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:36 PM
ride a dirty stopper :lol:

HappyHorselover
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:07 PM
ride a dirty stopper :lol:

Ha! Oh, so true! I have ridden those and I am def not ahead anymore. My problem now is that I grip with my knees and lose my lower leg over fences as a result of being paranoid for a stop (which then tends to make the horse think, "should I stop?"). Ugh!

karlymacrae
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:26 PM
Instead of thinking about your hip angle too much, think about your leg and release. Your body will follow. Consciously stay centred in the saddle, without getting left behind or catching your pony in the mouth. When I ride my pony I tend to lean a bit but that's because I'm not used to jumping so small. I'm improving, though. I think there's an article on here about jumping ahead..

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/don%E2%80%99t-jump-ahead-horse

It explains things pretty well. Jumping without stirrups and through grids will help a lot as well.

And of course, as Aerial mentioned, ride a stopper!!

fourmares
Apr. 1, 2011, 11:03 PM
Fix your base and you'll stop jumping ahead. I suspect that you are in your knee and not truely in your lower leg.

Late
Apr. 2, 2011, 12:03 AM
is the pony sane enough to jump through some grids with no hands? that would be my main fix - trotting into, say, a placing pole to a bounce to a one-stride with a knot in your reins. as you go over the placing pole drop your reins and, as you get comfortable/confident in said pony drop your reins and put your hands all the way out to the side.

This will definitely help you feel aware of how low you are dropping your chest, and if you try to get ahead of the motion you will likely have to catch yourself from falling forward with your hands on the pony's neck :)

gabster2
Apr. 2, 2011, 04:32 PM
thnks so much you guys! im going to try it! :)

spacytracy
Apr. 2, 2011, 08:26 PM
I find I do it more with my 14h pony than I do with bigger horses.

I think because on a pony, a "normal" movement means a big movement on a pony. So if you need to sit back, it has to be small increments, not a big move. You know what I mean?

ponyhunter7870
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:37 PM
I do the same thing! Make sure you release is big enough that you're not leaning on your hands, and having shorter stirrups help too.
Jumping withough hands is also a good exercise :)

gabster2
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys! My friend and I tried the no hands jumping yesterday, and we both were falling a little foward, and i see some jumping no stirrup jumping in our future ;) so thanks for the ideas guys!

saddlesore
Apr. 4, 2011, 05:51 PM
Read Denny Emerson's article in the Chronicle last week. Great description of position and body mechanics.