PDA

View Full Version : Heard "our" fox the other day

1sock
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:05 PM
We love foxes. Years ago we bottle raised 2 silvers that we bought from a fur farmer. Awesome little buggers. :)

I have very rarely seen a fox in the wild, just a handful of times. Last summer we saw one in our pasture, (must have been going to drink from the creek). He/she watched us, then ran off to the right.... then came back and checked us out again, then ran off to the left. When we walked out through the pasture I saw him sitting on a log watching us from a distance. A few weeks later I was riding down a nearby dirt road and saw him again, he took off into the woods.

I was outside real early the other morning and thought I heard a dog barking. Ignored it for a while, until I was out in the pasture and could hear it much clearer- and this is what I was hearing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIR8RtI9kaw

Pretty cool! I've never heard a fox bark before. Our two never barked, they just made happy/excited fox noises. Hoping he/she stays out of trouble, we like having him around. :)

Zarafia
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:47 PM
Very cool! I like foxes too.
When I had free-range-all-the-time chickens a local fox used to stalk them in the am. I would see her almost every morning.
I think she caught one rooster cause I followed the feather trail back to her den. But I didn't resent her for it.
I did resent the neighbor's free roaming dogs that killed the rest of my chickens though!

GoForAGallop
Apr. 1, 2011, 02:17 PM
Well, now that I've wasted 20 minutes of my day ohh-ing and ahh-ing over adorable fox videos on Youtube (I want one!!!!!) I can comment on this thread: Yes, quite cute!

Lookit this little guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO_KOB-gUps

There's also a bunch of youtube videos about a fox named Kevin, and he does this cool trilling sound..

1sock
Apr. 3, 2011, 06:44 PM
The one in that video is adorable. :) They are just such neat animals.

Our neighbor had chickens and a turkey free-ranging last year.... he had a few "disappear" on him. His birds are locked in a coop now, hopefully he'll keep them there. Can't blame Mr Fox for taking advantage of free and easy eats, though I don't know if the neighbor is aware of our fox, (when he talked to us last year about it he was thinking one of the neighborhood dogs may be to blame, which is also possible).

The 2nd year I had free range chickens the skunks moved in. They didn't bother the adult birds, but we were letting the hens hatch their eggs that summer and it was so depressing to see a hen with 10 chicks, then the next day she had 5. :( Had to lock the girls up for their own safety.