PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Pinnel half chap questions

doubleoh7
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hey everyone! so i've heard so many fantastic things about the pinnel half chaps so i've decided to start saving up for them.
so, i have a few questions for anyone who's ever bought them.
how much did you pay for yours? i know they vary with what you decide to get. but what custom options did you get and how much did they cost?
also, how do you like them? do they hold up well, do they fit well?
could anyone post pictures of theirs?
thanks!!

KayPink
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:59 PM
I love love LOVE my Pinnell half chaps!! :yes: I got mine 2-3 years ago. I totally beat them up and hardly ever clean them, and they still look great. The pictures below are from when I first got them, but they still look just as good. They match my boots better than it appears in the picture. Mine are pretty simple/basic which is what I wanted. I can't remember what I paid for them, honestly, but it's been totally worth the splurge! They fit me perfectly right out of the box.

About a year after I got them I got married, so I sent them back to Chuck and he switched out the monogram panel for me and put a new one in with my new married initials!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/kpinki/Half%20Chaps/DSCN0529.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/kpinki/Half%20Chaps/DSCN0532.jpg

Giddy-up
Apr. 1, 2011, 02:07 PM
I got plain black. No extras, nothing special fancy. I wanted to be able to use them in the show ring if needed (and I have).

Cost was $300 + 15 for shipping. That was spring 2004. No clue what his pricing would be today. And I was actually measured by Chuck, not a tack shop & then the order sent in.

I will say I have worn those things TONS. For almost 7 years old, they are only just starting to really show some wear in the last 6 months (I ride fairly regularly 1-3 horses 4-5 days/week). The top inside edge on 1 has a worn spot. The elastic is stretched out (my weight varying plus wearing jeans folded underneath). A zipper tab broke off 2 years ago, but a paper-clip & duct tape works fine. Just recently had to have the elastic on the bottom (under your foot) re-done. Not by Chuck, but a local leather person (cost $14).

Overall the actual leather is in really good condition. I do try to keep them fairly clean & avoid wearing them in wash racks, wet footing, etc.. For how long they have lasted (and will continue to do so), it was well worth the initial investment! :yes:

monalisa
Apr. 1, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have a pair, 4 years old probably, paid about $500 for mine, without a lot of bells and whistles.I like mine but I am not certain that it is worth paying for them. I would almost go to Journeyman's and get a pair for a lot less money. In any event, I would compare the two before buying again. They are lovely but they are expensive.

ChafedToBits
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:01 PM
I love mine like crazy! I was measured in July and received them in October. I thought I loved my Vogels but I really love my Pinnell half chaps.

Mine are very straight forward design wise (much like the first responder); I did get double piping. The picture does not do them justice.

A few other gals in my barn have them and they have held up for many years. One young lady wore a hole in hers and the Pinnell team fixed them right up for free.

I was really impressed by Mr. Pinnell's amazing service and how approachable he and his staff are. He called me on the phone once and I said "no way! This is like talking to a celebrity!"

It's true that they are expensive but the craftsmanship is wonderful and I feel really good about supporting their business. You will not be sorry!

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=663540479&aid=250126#!/photo.php?fbid=453617650479&set=a.453617645479.250126.663540479&theater

paris35
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have full chaps from Pinnell made about 8 years ago. They are still in great shape with heavy use. When I lost weight, Chuck altered my chaps for me at no charge! He'll also reinforce/repair them as needed for almost nothing. I believe my full chaps were $700 or so.

I did have him measure me for half chaps at a later date, but I wasn't ready to order them yet, with several custom options they were around $500. They are pricey but awesome quality and you can't beat the customer service.

misstriver
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:45 PM
I splurged a little and absolutely love them. Mine were $750 probably 5 yrs. ago. I have an alligator cutlet on mine. The best thing though is I'm on my second pair but can keep using the cutlet over again. The last time I paid $500. Definitely worth the money.

doubleoh7
Apr. 1, 2011, 07:21 PM
awesome! thanks so much!
anyone else? pictures?

JUMPERROUND
Apr. 2, 2011, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't have anyone else make my half chaps. Chuck is a wonder! I have very plain black ones. I have worn these to finals with a pair of lace up jodhur boots when my costumes didn't arrive in time. No one noticed the difference. I finally had to retire a pair after 8 years of hard labor. Worth every penny in my book!

Elementgrl2
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:41 AM
I have 6 pairs of his half chaps now this is over a 7 year period, a few belts and a purse. I'm addicted and I love dealing with chuck. My 1/2 chaps ranged from 700-2100.