PDA

View Full Version : Seriously? My 5 y/o TB grew 3" in 6 months?

B Street Tango
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:52 PM
My TB Gelding that I picked up at the Sporthorse Auction end of October looked like he'd grown a little bit so I put the stick on him tonight. I couldn't believe when it said 17.3! He was advertised as 16.3 at the auction and measured about 17 hands when I got him home. Tonight, I measured him THREE times, made sure the level mark was correct and that it was pushed down on his withers. 17.3 every time. I seriously can't believe he's grown that much since October. And I really hope he's done!! :D

lucky dog farm
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:31 PM
Oh God! I really, really, really hope my 5 yr old, who is already 17.1, doesn't do that!!

PNWjumper
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:45 AM
My TB did that after I picked him up off the track as a late 5yo. He was a nice, level 16.2 at his withers and butt. 2 months later he was 17h at his withers and 17.1h at the point of his croup. Now that he's 10 I've finally given up on the hope that he might level out at some point!

eventingismylife
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:51 AM
My 3/4 ISH mare grew at least 2 inches last summer at 7yo. When I bought her that spring as a 6yo she was barely 16.1-2, now she is at least 17hh! Hopefully she is done growing ;)

scubed
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:29 AM
I sold my first OTTB because he grew three inches after I got him and ended up bigger than I really wanted.

Lori B
Apr. 1, 2011, 11:22 AM
So is this the first time in history where a horse was actually taller than advertised, and then proceeded to get even bigger? Yikes.

jenarby
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
Most of the horses I get off the track get taller when they are let down and start putting on "riding" muscle. Sometimes they'll put on an inch in 5-6 weeks! I always tell people that even the older ones coming off the track do that. It has a lot of to with muscling and posture. I know your did not come off the track but he did come into a different situation with you and not only has matured but his posture has probably changed. Hope you have a really big mounting block!! :)

subk
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:48 PM
I had one come off the track at 15.1h at age four and two years later sticked right at 16h. As I was selling him it was a very pleasant surprise.

My TB (not OT) sticked a hair under 16.3h today and turned 5 a couple weeks ago. I hope he's done. His breeder predicted he'd finish at 16.3, but I've never had a TB that didn't grow a least another inch after turning 5.

B Street Tango
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:40 PM
So is this the first time in history where a horse was actually taller than advertised, and then proceeded to get even bigger? Yikes.

Haha! Right?! It's unheard of!

I've heard they can "rise" a little in the withers when they get into work and build different muscles but I definitely wasn't expecting that!