PDA

View Full Version : Orchard grass pasture??

oldpony66
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:53 PM
Help! I am planning on over-seeding one of my pastures this spring (actually, hoping to do it this weekend!) and was planning on a typical horse-pasture mix for this area. It contains 35% orchard grass. I'm fine with orchard grass as far as growth, pH, traffic, nutrition... but someone just told me that orchard grass grows in clumps :confused:

In the summer my daughter uses this pasture to set her jumps out in a more open area. Will orchard grass "clumps" make the area bumpy and hard to ride in? I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I've only really seen orchard grass when it's dried up in a bale of hay! If orchard grass is bad for an open riding area, what grasses would you use? Traffic isn't the biggest issue, it wouldn't get super-heavy use. I'm worried about the footing.

Thanks!!!

fivehorses
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:53 PM
I am facing a foot of snow tomorrow, and the fields already have at least a foot+ remaining from winter.
Sorry to go off track, but planting, etc just seems like a very long way off sadly.

I don't know the answer to your question, sorry.

oldpony66
Apr. 1, 2011, 06:08 AM
yeah, we're only supposed to get an inch of snow today... better than the 4-6 originally predicted. I think it will melt off enough to seed on Sunday though. If not, hey, there's always next weekend :yes: I just don't want to purchase seed and then regret what I purchased. I might just go with buying alfalfa and timothy seed separately and overseeding with that... at least I know that works.

clanter
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:52 AM
Hermitage Farm in Oldham Co KY is within rock throwing distance of where orchard grass was first commercially produced.... for many years Oldham Co was the center of the orchard grass seed production... most of the remaining farms have some if not all pastures in orchard grass mixes.

Cool weather grass that does well in shade

http://www.horsesales.com/herm.htm

oldpony66
Apr. 1, 2011, 04:55 PM
Interesting, Hermitage Farm is where Pembroke is standing, and he was the daddy of a horse we used to own. Small world.

Well my pasture is far from shady, but it certainly will be cool. I'm mostly wondering whether or not the clumpy growth others have described will cause footing problems if we decide to put jumps out on the pasture. I've walke in 'clumpy' grass pastures before and can't imagine riding in them.

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:13 PM
Help! I am planning on over-seeding one of my pastures this spring (actually, hoping to do it this weekend!) and was planning on a typical horse-pasture mix for this area. It contains 35% orchard grass. I'm fine with orchard grass as far as growth, pH, traffic, nutrition... but someone just told me that orchard grass grows in clumps :confused:

In the summer my daughter uses this pasture to set her jumps out in a more open area. Will orchard grass "clumps" make the area bumpy and hard to ride in? I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I've only really seen orchard grass when it's dried up in a bale of hay! If orchard grass is bad for an open riding area, what grasses would you use? Traffic isn't the biggest issue, it wouldn't get super-heavy use. I'm worried about the footing.

Thanks!!!

If you are just overseeding it might be fine. My pastures were seeded with orchard, fescue and clover. I did notice it tended to grow in clumps.

JB
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:51 PM
Fescue is a clump-y grass if not mowed frequently enough.

oldpony66
Apr. 2, 2011, 12:19 PM
I skipped the orchard grass mix (and the fescue too, thanks JB) and went with a Bluegrass/Perennial Rye/Brome/Alfalfa mix. We'll see how that does! So that's what I'm doing the rest of my weekend...