PDA

View Full Version : Mattes correction shims question

BarnBrat
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a mattes correction pad off craigs list and i'm wondering if those of who have this pad could tell me what shims it generally comes with. There were 3 white felt shims in each back pocket. One of the front pockets has 4 white felt shims, but they are different sizes, and the other front pocket was empty. There were 2 more of these front shims in the box along with 1 blue memory foam shim that is thicker toward the front and thin toward the back. (See link w/ pics of the shims). The blue shim is also sized for the front pocket. I'm thinking the front are normal shims that have been cut so there is a gradient in the amount of padding? Anyone have any idea what the blue foam is or where I could another one to match it? Also, is there a way to buy replacement shims for only the front pockets?

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/579986524hfkpeA
(http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/579986524hfkpeA)

jellopudding
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:01 PM
Mine didn't come with any blue shims. I think it came with 6-8 shims, equal amounts for front and back.
I have never seen where you can only buy a front or rear set, only sets of 4 for about 10.00.
I know that they claim that the shims are made of some fancy material, but it seems like regular old felt to me. I wonder??? If so, then a trip to the craft store may be in order :)

eventingismylife
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:48 AM
The shims that come with the Mattes Correction pad are white felt. You can buy extra replacement shims at SmartPak. I bought mine there and they are great. They hold their shape well. http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productClassId=1917&cm_sp=CS-_-Mattes%20Replacement%20Shims%20for%20Correction%20 Pads-_-NA&cm_vc=UpSell

They also have the same package at Dover too.

Mollie Zobel
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:26 AM
I bought mine new and it came with about 8 shims. They are shaped slightly different for the front and back but are all white felt. I know some other brand pads may offer memory foam shims but I'm not aware that the Mattes do. I've always loved the Mattes 1/2 pad but having the options with the shims is even better!

BarnBrat
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the input! Going to try the pad out today. Hopefully this will put an end to our saddle fitting woes until I can get the fitter out!

EventingJ
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure if they still sell them, but thinline used to make mattes sized shims with their thinline pad material (both original and ultra thicknesses) - it is what I have and use :)

ivy62
Apr. 1, 2011, 03:59 PM
do your shims fit well? my horse lost so much of his topline this winter that i have to add all of them! but they do not seem to fit very well....should i cut them?

Bacchus
Apr. 1, 2011, 04:39 PM
I bought my Mattes Correction pad through my saddle fitter, and they made custom shims for me in a blue foam-like material. A bit heartier/stiffer than regular foam. They were the same color as yours, but different shape. The pad also came with the Mattes thin white shims, about 6 or 8 of them. I much prefered the blue ones and can't see how the white could help much unless you stacked them. The blue ones were beveled, too so that they matched the shape of the horse better. I sold it when I switched to Ansur saddles.