PDA

View Full Version : Can you shorten tall boots?

SkipChange
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hey I just got a lovely new pair of Tredstep Donatello tall boots, but I'm only 5'2" and they're just a little too tall. Can't bend my leg well in them so I think it's too much that they won't really drop with breaking in. The boots only came in one height

So is it possible to have tall boots shortened? Will they still look nice? They have a zipper and little zipper cover and sewn down swagger tabs...I'm just worried that it'll make a mess of it to shorten it, anyone have experience?

P.S. The boots look absolutely LOVELY, fit great through the ankle and calf!

Trixie
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:18 PM
They can be shortened at any reputable tack repair place. I would honestly ride in them for month or two first - pick up some heel lifts. Unless they are truly significantly too tall (well over an inch) I would try to get them broken in first, so you'll see how much they drop.

Big_Grey_hunter
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:27 PM
Sorry, I'm not much help, but I don't see why you couldn't get them shortened at a cobbler. I know they can lengthen and extend oots, so why not shorten?.

Do you have pictures of the boots? They sound lovely, but the front of the ankle looks weird in the close up picture. Is it even leather?. Does it look more normal when it's worn? Thanks!

kelsey97
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:36 PM
Agree w/ Trixie: ride in them. My boots were about an inch too tall, but have broken in nicely with several rides.

SkipChange
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:42 PM
These boots are several inches taller than my old tall boots. There's no way they are going to break in enough to let them relax down that much. But I guess it's probably still a good idea to ride in them and get them to break in before I do anything about it. The boots are designed with a very flexible ankle to break in easily, they are already very comftorable to flex in (as long as I don't zip them up all the way) so I really don't feel like they will drop much at all.

Just measured--2 inches taller on the inside and no more than inch taller on the outside. My old ones are Beval Puissance and have more of a spanish cut top. The outside height is tolerable it's just that it really limits my ability to bend at the knee.

Trixie
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:53 PM
Try some heel lifts first - it'll prop you up a little so it won't hit your knee quite so bad. If the outside is tolerable perhaps they could just remove a little from the back. Not superfun with zippers, but doable.

SkipChange
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:48 PM
Here's a link to a (public) album with pictures of the boots.
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2079877&id=1293060230&l=f8098414b8

The front of the ankle looks very normal to me. It appears to be leather. Just sort of an inlaid leather, the stitching and layering pattern I think was done to decrease break in time and make the boots more comftorable. I haven't ridden in them yet but the ankle is very comftorable walking around the house.

Desert Topaz
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:11 PM
I got my tall boots shortened. All I can recommend is be very specific about what you want with the people doing the work. I wasn't and as a result my boots now look pretty cheap instead of the nice boots they were. They didn't remove the swagger tabs and move them down, instead they just cut the tops of them off with the rest of the boot. The little tabs with the snaps that went over the top of the zipper were replaced with crappy pieces of cut leather with velcro. The stitching at the new top is big and obvious. I was very, very unhappy. In retrospect, I should have bought a new pair of boots instead.

TheJenners
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:51 AM
Can you cut them off and send them to me?? I'm 5'3.5'' but all leg, and the boots I've finally decided to keep are 19" and still a titch short (http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197836_1945212111586_1281017695_2342565_7742804_n. jpg). I'm a freak, hand to god.

sonomacounty
Apr. 2, 2011, 08:09 AM
Don't do it. Wear a heel lift till they are completely broken in. They will drop LOTS.

Canaqua
Apr. 2, 2011, 08:39 AM
In the pictures, it looks like the ankle has hardly any wrinkles yet, I wouldn't consider cutting them down until you've worn them, and ridden in them, for a while. You can get a pair (or even two pairs!) of heel lifts at any drugstore and use those to make them more comfortable until you see how much they'll drop.

I know you are familiar with Puissance boots, since those are your old ones. How much did those drop for you? I just got a new pair of those a few weeks ago...they were at LEAST an inch, maybe more, too tall in back before I wore them much, couldn't get the zipper up, and when I finally did, I couldn't bend my knee much. I ordered them that way on purpose and, yep, even with the zipper and softish leather at the ankle (which is supposed to mean they won't drop as much), they are now the perfect height after about 8 rides and lots of stomping around the house in them. I did put some Lexol on the inside of the ankle area to speed up the wrinkles and dropping.

NiQi
Apr. 2, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hey there,

Tenneys Custom Saddlerly in Florida are AMAZING with anything leather! I dont live in Florida anymore and I still send them all my repairs. About to send them a pair of tall boots to have zippers up in them. Highly recommended. I think they just had a website put up, google it and check em out.

SkipChange
Apr. 2, 2011, 06:25 PM
Canaqua--
I was able to zip my Beval Puissance boots up all the way the first day. They really didn't drop a ton either.

I was able to ride in them today. Didn't really feel like going to the store and buying heel lifts so I made do with a few layers of corkboard and a tack sponge in each heel. :lol: Actually worked pretty well.

adultmedalrider12
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
wear a heel lift until they drop. They will eventually drop with lots of oiling and riding. If you fool around with them too much then you might regret getting them altered. better tall than short boots!

pryme_thyme
Apr. 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
This may have been mentioned prior but I wanted to throw my two cents in :lol:

I worked at a tack shop for 5 years when I was younger.

When I buy my boots I make sure there is atleast 1 inch of boot above the crease at the back of your knee.

It is uncomfortable for a good week but I use vet wrap around my knee until the leather bunches down and it will don't worry.

Leather tends to stretch 1/2 - 1 full size as needed and conforms to your leg.

If you are really not happy with the boots, I often see people who take their boots to the local shoe maker and they put in a small elastic type fabric behind the knee so it is more comfortable.