PDA

View Full Version : Novice XC at Loch Moy

Duckz
Mar. 31, 2011, 05:35 PM
I'm going to the starter trial at Loch Moy on Apr 9. It will be my first time at "real" Novice (did the starter novice division at FMF last fall). The blog post and subsequent thread about the supposed disappearance of move up courses got me thinking - what am I getting myself into?!? No really, can someone tell me what I should expect next weekend on xc? :) All this talk of off-set jumps and mini corners is not helping with the butterflies. I'm was feeling pretty confident but now I'm wondering what I will find on the course walk. Thanks!

yellowbritches
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:12 PM
I still don't know where people are seeing such horrible things at novice!!!

But, for Loch Moy, you'll be fine. It will be straight forward, especially for the starter trial. You will have one or two waters, which are usually pass throughs with something a few strides after the out. You MIGHT have an up and/or down bank, but sometimes at the starters they use their little mound (Really, just a hump that's the same height as the bank...rides like a speed bump). A little ditch that's pretty inviting that MIGHT have a little house or rolltop or something a related distance after. They usually have a couple in the woods that can make you feel like you're in a pinball machine if you're on a greenbean. There is nothing tricky or hard about the course...just fun, open, and gallopy. Sometimes some of the single fences can look a little daunting, but they are very inviting to the horses and just jump right out of a nice forward rhythm.

It's a nice venue. You'll be fine. We've moved riders up there, both rec and unrec, quite a bit, at several levels. It is always pretty successful.

Beam Me Up
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:48 PM
I did the starter trial there last fall and thought the N was very reasonable. I think the ditch that YB mentions (when I was there it had a fence 2-3 strides before it) was probably the most difficult question on the course. Other than that, the waters were very inviting and straightforward, the bank was up-only, then a hill down to a little fence at the bottom. There was one turn in the woods that required a little steering.

The day I went the BN and N shared a lot of the single fences (I actually thought a few of those were a touch large for BN, though my other horse did his first event there and was just fine, as they were inviting).

If anything I thought the stadium was a little tougher than the x-c, as it had a lot of fences in a smallish area, and there was warm-up/dressage/x-c happening in all directions, which was distracting to greenies.

retreadeventer
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:58 PM
Don't be afraid! You'll be fine! Walk your course and know your horse and it will be great fun. Let us know how you did, too!
We should not be scaring riders at Novice. I apologize if we have got you spooked! :)

Duckz
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:17 PM
Yay! Thanks! That doesn't sound bad at all :) I'll try to take deep calming breaths when I see the daunting ones. Actually, it sounds more straight forward than the BN course I saw at Waredaca last year. Should be good times. I'll let ya know how it goes!