PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: HDR 5-point breastplate

Babble
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:50 PM
I have sort of been coveting a new breastplate for a while, and while I like the 5-point breastplates, I just can't seem to justify the price of most that I have seen.

Someone on another thread linked to the HDR version, which is much more reasonably priced:
http://www.horseloverz.com/1/hdr_pro..._112154579.php

It looks very nice from the photo. Does anyone have one? How is the quality of the leather? Does it hold up to regular use?

Thanks!

Trak_Eventer
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:58 PM
I was wondering the same thing. They look really nice too! My first saddle was an HDR and I had it for 5+ years and then I sold it to the little girl who is leasing my pony. It is a great price and looks like a dark brown

LEL
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:06 PM
I have an HDR bridle and the leather is lovely. I don't know if that helps you any :)

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:40 AM
I think Legacy Tack has that one too.. and you can get a discount if you use Kaboom! Right?!? :)

I'm debating buying that one too... but I need it in oversize... :(

Babble
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:44 AM
FLeck, the link I posted above from horseloverz.com has an oversize listed (but no horse size). A few buck more than at Legacy (and no kaboom discount) though.

avezan
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:19 PM
I've seen it. Leather is ok, not great. It would need to be cared for well. But the overall breastplate seemed to be very well constructed. They just came out so I don't think anyone knows how well they hold up.

hoofhearted
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:26 PM
it only drives me a little crazy that the photo is upside down.

alg0181
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:29 PM
Some of my favorite stirrup leathers in the world are HDR. Soft and supple without any care at all. Not sure how that translates to the breastplate but my experience with their leather has been positive.

Late
Apr. 1, 2011, 02:50 PM
FYI, if you end up ordering anything from Horseloverz, you can use the coupon code 5SS2011C and get $5 off your order :)

Though I just looked up the 5-point breastplate and it appears they only have it in Cob or Oversize now... which would work for Fleck I guess!

*Trinity*
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:26 PM
FWIW, my student ordered an HDR 5-point in Cob for her Welsh/TB mare, who is a slim 15 hands. It was WAY too small for her - we were both shocked! She has ordered the Full size, but haven't gotten it yet. She was impressed with the quality when she had the Cob and is selling her Cob cheap (tags still on). PM me if you want details.

dexhol
May. 8, 2011, 06:13 PM
I picked up one for my TB at Rolex. Wonderful value for the price for sure! Looks like a much higher priced piece than it is. Leather is good quality and everything seems to be made well.
On the sizing though, I'm not sure if it's a quality control thing or what. My mare is 16.2hh+, about 1100lbs, fairly petite but certainly not small. They only had a cob sized in stock which I bought in hopes it would fit. It fits her PERFECTLY. She's on the biggest holes all around, but it works great and should stretch a little. So I don't know if the sizing is wonky as I would imagine my horse is quite a bit bigger than *Trinity*'s student's horse, but the cob fit mine just fine.
I paid more for one from Hilasson that was a PIECE OF JUNK, had to 12" worth of strapping removed at the shoe shop to fit even the biggest WB (1500lb Swede), and is flaking off the finish. Nasty.

enjoytheride
May. 8, 2011, 07:55 PM
That is very odd, because I looked at buying a COB sized one from someone online for my 15.1 hand arab cross. They told me it would be more suitable for a large pony having bought it for a small horse, and I ended up passing on it.

Sonoma City
Jan. 13, 2012, 08:32 AM
Bumping this back up. Does anyone have any additional info on sizing or how they hold up? The horse I'm looking at it for is 17H but not broad. He takes horse size in bridles and halters, but I've never gotten him a breastplate. Suggestions on sizing? Thanks!

eventer_mi
Jan. 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
I have one - I've had it for over 6 months now, and it still looks like new. I don't use it every day, but I did use it about twice a week during a hot, sticky NC summer and again, it still looks like new. I wipe all my tack off with a damp cloth/sponge after riding and put a light conditioner on when it looks dry (about once a week in the summer), and deep condition it about once a month.

My gelding is 16.1ish, with a loooong shoulder. He is in the horse size, and everything fits well except for the strap that goes between the front legs and attaches to the girth. It's uber-long, so I had my saddler chop it off and now it fits fine. I'd say that based on mine, they tend to run a little large, but this is a sample size of 1.

The leather is quite nice - it's soft and supple straight out of the "box", and it's nicely padded. The sheepskin disk is soft and of good quality, and I like the brown elastic. Love mine, and well worth the $90 I spent for it.

HappyHorselover
Jan. 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
They have a horse sized one here (my favorite, their customer service is awesome and shipping is free and fast)

http://www.jeffersequine.com/product.asp?camid=EQU&pn=J0-H7&cn=2407

It's backordered, but it's cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

I have an HDR bridle and it's held up very well, I would buy the breastplate.

GutsNGlory
Jan. 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
They have a horse sized one here (my favorite, their customer service is awesome and shipping is free and fast)

http://www.jeffersequine.com/product.asp?camid=EQU&pn=J0-H7&cn=2407

It's backordered, but it's cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

I have an HDR bridle and it's held up very well, I would buy the breastplate.

My mother bought me the HDR in horse size from here for Christmas (we love Jeffers and have also had good experiences with the shipping and customer service, just FYI). I think she even got it around Thanksgiving when they had a big discount sale. I haven't tried it on my horse yet, since it is winter and we aren't doing much jumping, but it looks like it is great quality for the money! I'm excited to give it a try in the Spring :)

billiebob
Jan. 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
I have one and have been pleasantly surprised with it! IMO HDR products are kind of a crapshoot--some are very nice for the price and others, not so much. This is one of the nicer ones. The leather is supple right out of the box, the fleece is nice and fluffy, and it's easy to adjust. It fits my 16.3 TB really well and he's about 90% shoulder. I want to say everything's adjusted more or less in the middle. I have the horse size.

I got this from Jeffers--love them!

piaffeprincess98
Jan. 14, 2012, 05:22 PM
I got one for Christmas for my OTTB and the horse size was too small. It sat too high up on his throat, so I figured it would restrict his breathing when galloping and jumping. There was just no way to lower it.

I'm going to splurge and get the Nunn Finer and hope it fits better.

AmberleeB
Nov. 30, 2012, 10:39 AM
Bumping this back up. Does anyone have any additional info on sizing or how they hold up? The horse I'm looking at it for is 17H but not broad. He takes horse size in bridles and halters, but I've never gotten him a breastplate. Suggestions on sizing? Thanks!

I just bought a 17hh as well. He is quite broad though and takes oversize for pretty much everything. Did you end up getting one if so what size? Have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

GingerJumper
Nov. 30, 2012, 10:45 AM
I've got one and I really like it... I got it for my pretty big TB gelding (big shoulders), and it fits him nicely but also fits my friend's large pony jumper (although he has large shoulders as well). It's super adjustable and has held up great.

KateKat
Nov. 30, 2012, 01:49 PM
I just bought a 17hh as well. He is quite broad though and takes oversize for pretty much everything. Did you end up getting one if so what size? Have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

I think you would be fine with horse size. That is what I got for my mare, who isn't tank wide, but is wide enough with a fairly long shoulder (she's a good sized16.3 who usually wears horse everything in most brands). We're currently at first or second holes on most of the straps, so there is PLENTY of room to spare.

FWIW, I really like the breastplate a lot. I've had it about 4 months now, and its held up great. The leather isn't fantastic but its SUPER for the price that was paid ($78 on sale). Hasn't darkened at all, and hasn't stretched much, if any. Sheepskin disks are holding up fine, as is the elastic. I ride with this thing on every ride, so 3-4 times a week. Did fine in the summer too with excessive sweating.

BoysNightOut
Dec. 1, 2012, 07:19 PM
This is on my wish list to get before next summer. I have the HDR Pro A/O saddle, and Stress Free Figure-Eight bridle, and love both of them. Great quality for the price. Glad to hear some good reviews for the breastplate!

JKennedy
Dec. 1, 2012, 11:05 PM
I have the HDR 5 point breastplate (horse size, for a 16.2 H TrakX), and also had an Ovation one (cob sized, for a 14.2 mare)

The HDR is not very nice leather. It is servicable, probably durable enough for me and my one horse. It is coated, not the 'open grain' kind of leather that really holds oil. Its the kind you can wipe with water and it doesn't absorb any, but it doesn't absorb sweat and dirt either so thats a bonus. Over long term use it will get those little cracks in the coating that this kind of leather gets, or the color will rub off.

The Ovation was better quality, less 'coated'/ painted looking. BUT the edges of the leather straps had a weird plastic coating that peeled off. Didn't hurt the leather itself, but looked weird.

The HDR is a great price, can't really beat that.

I can't compare to other brands of 5 pt breastplates, but I have owned courbette, stubben, edgewood, and amish made tack that is made of actual quality leather.

LaraNSpeedy
Dec. 2, 2012, 05:54 PM
So - a cob needs a cob size - I am confused. Do they run small or large? Seemed conflicted posts....

I want a 5 point for my 14.1 sport pony - he is a long shoulder and strides like a horse. But I also want to get one for my 16.2 BIGGG boned half Appy WB cross.

And yes - the only one I can afford to buy if I buy two - is the HDR which is so much cheaper than the others - but I notice no one sells used ones on ebay. So people must like ot keep them. There was a massive tack sale and none there either.

My experience with HDR though on their saddles is - they have high end and economy end so my guess its the same with the 5 point. You get what you are paying for but sounds like HDR is cornering the affordable 5-point breastplate market because the next one is like 190 and goes up from there.

I could afford it - if I had to but I always bargain shop because I never know when I am going to have a vet bill or if I need to change a supplement or buy a new blanket. So I would rather not pay $200 plus for a breastplate.

Winding Down
Dec. 2, 2012, 06:08 PM
This isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than a lot of the 5 point breastplates.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/wellfleet-five-point-breastplate-by-smartpak-8937p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

It runs VERY large, such that a cob size is appropriate for a 16+ TB. The one that I got is super quality leather and workmanship.