PDA

View Full Version : My Haffy going off to "school" UPDATE

bizbachfan
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks to the COTH I am very happy with the trainer I am sending my Haffy to. He is turning 4 this month. (the horse not the trainer LOL)

In my many years of riding I have never actually sent a horse "off" for training. He will be a couple of hours away.

I plan to bring his feed, some hay to transition to their hay as well as flyspray, hoof dressing, and sunscreen for his nose. Oh and his bridle. (he is on no supplements)

Any other suggestions for what I should send with him? I feel very comfortable with the trainer and think he knows what my expectations are but do plan to talk to him and ask lots of questions.

Any advice on getting my baby ready to leave home is appreciated :)

bizbachfan
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:20 PM
okay bumping for a little moral support I am wishing I had something to do to help like sewing labels on his clothes :)

I am sure all will be well!

SkipChange
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:26 PM
It just depends on the trainer really.

My trainer needs nothing but their blankets and boots if they use them. He uses his own bridles on all the horses, but I'm sure plenty of trainers expect the client to supply the horse a bridle.

I would just ask your trainer if he needs anything specific. Hopefully the training goes well!

bizbachfan
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:30 PM
thanks, trainer did ask for Bridle and I am glad as he is sensitive to certain bits.
Just feel like a mom sending her kid to preschool :)

CBoylen
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:00 PM
Send him with a sheet of paper that gives his last dates of shots, coggins, worming, teeth, and trimming; the amounts of feed/hay he's used to getting, any vet conditions they should be aware of, all your contact information, and the number for your insurance company if applicable.

alto
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:48 PM
Halter? - how is turnout handled? lately I've found alot of barns are insisting on halters during T/O so I insisted on a breakaway halter ...

I'd put a name plate on his bridle, mark anything with a name/phone number, if you leave more than 1 bit, include an itemized list (I'm assuming that the trainer has staff).

Consider whether you want general brushes/saddle pads/coolers used or if you want to supply all that.

KBC
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:19 PM
I've never sent one away before, so I can't help, but just sending best wishes for you and your boy as he goes off to big school:lol:

I hope he does really well.

Oh, I take it you've warned his new teacher that he is a special needs student, differently gifted Haflinger, probably able to inhale food from a distance, able to walk through closed doors. sense of humor, all good Haflinger qualities.

Proudly owned by 4 Haflingers

alto
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:24 PM
Just a thought - what saddle are you using?
& how many trainers keep saddles around that fit haflingers?

I'd be bringing my saddle just in case ...

bizbachfan
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:19 AM
Thank you everyone, the saddle is a good point. I have advised that he can jump out of paddocks, open stall doors and take down fences. Trainer is confident his hot wire will hold him in. Good idea to write everything down that I am sending with him and his feeding schedule and contact infromation.

Also definitely good to send him with a breakaway halter.

Thanks I will update his progress!

findeight
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:33 AM
OK....1-2-3 BREATHE.

Don't stress too much and turn it into a 3 year old kids first trip to day care. Trainer is a Pro here and you can relax about alot of this stuff.

Ask the trainer specifically what he needs and follow CBoylens advice about the vet records.

I would guess that once your Haffy starts school, he is going to be too tired to go jumping out of paddocks. Try not to hover like a helicopter parent too much. Check...but not 3 times a day. Maybe every 3 days or so.

Sit back and enjoy a little more free time while that Pro does their job-you might get to like it.

bizbachfan
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:37 AM
Great advice, for me the nervous mom :) He is such a good boy and I know he loves to have a job so this will be good for him and me since I am traveling for work a lot right now.

birdsong
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:51 AM
How often will you be actually visiting your Haffie? Often I hope.

Meantime, My friend is owned by a Haffie mare that was a broodmare for 10 years. She's a trip and can she ever move out with those short legs! After just two weeks of being under saddle she was moved to her Fl home. Fast learner and riding nicely.

But geesh...she turns all of the geldings nearby into raging uncontrollable stallions who buck their riders off and tear away from their restraints! (ask me how many times I've witnessed this??!!) Must be that gorgeous big dappled butt!

spacytracy
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:20 PM
Good luck! How exciting!!

I am owned by a halfie - a half haffie! I think he inherited all the naughty, quirky little Haffie traits though, unlocking stalls, stealing the halters off the wall and throwing them on the ground, escaping fencing, inhaling food (he once broke into the feed room and ate almost an entire bag of feed with zero consequences), etc etc.

bizbachfan
Apr. 2, 2011, 06:42 AM
Yes Haffie's are amazing in so many ways!! This one has jumped out of his paddock numerous times, bulldozed a few fences and unlocked his stall door. When I got him he was trained to drive, had been successfully shown in driving dressage classes and Haflinger breed classes but only been ridden twice. He has been wonderful to work with, brave and willing and never been a bad boy under saddle, he saves that for the pasture.

He had never been on a step up trailer until yesterday and jumped on with enthusiasm. He was calm as could be when we arrived at the trainer's farm and settled in right away. I plan to try to visit once a week. I am so excited, he is such a fast learner and has great retention once he learns something. I never knew much about Haflingers and this one just "happened" and I am so glad he did.

P.S. is it Haffy or Haffie? :)

Here he is chilling out in his "dorm room"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150138561736027&set=a.439462961026.225282.519456026&theater

KBC
Apr. 2, 2011, 11:39 AM
*SULK* It wont let me see the picture..

Haffie or Haffy? they are both equally incorrect because we should always refer to them in full as Haflinger :rolleyes:

I use the Y version, as you may have noticed.

I'll be watching out for more updates as his training progresses, what's his name BTW?

bizbachfan
Apr. 2, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hey Haffy his registered name is Nestor, didn't love it but no other nickname every stuck. I will double check to make sure my photos are public.

Okay fixed my setting.

KBC
Apr. 2, 2011, 11:03 PM
Even bigger *SULKS* it still wont let me look at the picture:(

Polydor
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:10 AM
Bes tof luck to him! Sounds like an entertaining one!

Also can't see the pics :(

P.

bizbachfan
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:45 AM
sorry guys on the pictures. I don't have great ones of him right now. Will try to get some video when I go visit him next time.

allison finch
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:28 PM
I have grown to love haffies. A student bought one and here he is on his first day trying cross country. Amazing attitude!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/students%20and%20friends/h2obank.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/students%20and%20friends/gomaus.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/students%20and%20friends/bigjump.jpg

bizbachfan
May. 5, 2011, 03:07 AM
Okay don't shoot me I didn't get pictures/vids when I went to visit him a few weeks ago. However he is doing wonderfully! I just talked to trainer today and they said he is doing beautifully! They took him to the Oaks (O'Connors) last week and he had no issues with the water, anything they asked of him. I think the quote from one of their other clients was he is so "emotionally healthy." Nothing seems to phase my little guy and he is happy to do whatever is asked.

He got a lovely new leather halter with his nameplate from Rolex. Can't wait to see him in it. I wish he wasn't 2 1/2 hours away. All I keep hearing is how wonderful he is, how easy going he is and how much he loves to go and especially jump. I miss him but am so happy he is doing so well.

Rolex 2020 for us ??? LOL but seriously tadpole eventing here I come I hope, this old hunter princess has a lot to learn. Sounds like I have the right horse for it.

bizbachfan
May. 5, 2011, 03:10 AM
I have grown to love haffies. A student bought one and here he is on his first day trying cross country. Amazing attitude!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/students%20and%20friends/h2obank.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/students%20and%20friends/gomaus.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/students%20and%20friends/bigjump.jpg

Great pics! If you go to Tudor Oaks Farm Facebook (breeder of my boy) they have lots of great shots of their Haffys doing cross country, etc. Hearty wonderful horses!:):):):)

KBC
May. 5, 2011, 04:48 PM
I think the quote from one of their other clients was he is so "emotionally healthy." Nothing seems to phase my little guy and he is happy to do whatever is asked.

That's awesome, what a great compliment to both you and him. Thanks for the update, I'll let you off from photos this time, but that is your one chance :lol: