PDA

View Full Version : Weight distribution hitches -- cost

FrittSkritt
Mar. 31, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hey all-
I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban 1500 that I use to tow my 2 horse FRP/steel Shoop. (Trailer max loaded weight is 5k, hitch is a class III and also a 5k rating.) I'm only towing one horse and haven't had issues with the weight.

I'm looking to upgrade to a two horse BP with DR... this particular model is about 3100 lbs empty/7000 lbs max loaded. Obviously my dinky class III hitch isn't going to cut the mustard, :p so I either need to a) upgrade to a class IV or b) use a weight distribution system (ups the class III capacity to 10k).

I'm leaning toward option B, as the trailer's longer and it'll provide more stability. I'm looking online at weight distribution kits, and was wondering if there's any reason to opt for a more expensive kit (e.g., Reese) versus the cheaper chicken (Valley, Curt, Pro). They have the same capacity and capability, but some are signficantly more expensive (up to $100 more). Keep in mind I'm not comparing the Reese WDH with sway control -- just the regular one.

That being said... is there any reason to buy the more expensive WDH? Also, I'm supposed to use the round bars, right? :D

Thanks in advance!

FrittSkritt
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:39 PM
Bump -- no one?!?!

grinanride
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:10 PM
I sell both Curt and Quality S, depending on what the distributer has at the time - the Curt seems little nicer, we charge $325 complete in stalled with #10k ball. Both do the job just fine.
Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers
BalancedRideTrailers
SterlingHorseTrailers ( on the way )

HunttoLive
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:01 PM
We've had a reese system for 14 years and it has been worth the money.

stillknotreel
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:51 PM
I have used Reese systems, I've never used the others personally. I will say though, you get what you pay for. I'm sure all systems do their jobs correctly and safely, but I'm sure there are minor differences with all. For example, we bought two types of gooseneck hitches about ten years ago. One was a highly recommended, more expensive brand and the other was an equally comparable hitch, just lesser known and cheaper. The more expensive one to this day still looks brand new. The lesser known brand has held up well and served it's purpose, but when it is time to replace it I will gladly put the more expensive one in.

As said before, you get what you pay for. Do your homework and see what the price difference is worth to you.