PDA

View Full Version : New breastplate- help me decide!

greyTBlove
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:10 AM
So I am looking for a new breastplate for my guy. I am trying to decide between the Nunn Finer hunting breastplate with elastic and the Nunn Finer hunting breastplate. Any thoughts? I like the idea of having the elastic for a little extra give and freedom but then I wonder how much of a pain it will be to keep the elastic clean with hair, dirt and sweat. What have been your experiences with these? TIA

scubed
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have the one with elastic. Have had it for 8 years. I just sponge the elastic parts and it seems fine. I tend to have horses with bigger shoulders so the give is key for me

eventr4life
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
I have the 5 point elastic nun-finner breast plate:
http://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-5-Way-Breastplate-p/5w.htm

Adjustable for all horses. Easy to clean: rub the elastic with a wet sponge, and i take a cat brush to free up the gunk out of the cotton on the "points".

whicker
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
To add to the OP's question:
How fast does the elastic lose it's rebound? How hard is it to replace the elastic? Can it be done? What about the sheepskin fuzz?

greyTBlove
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:44 AM
whicker: thats a good point about the life of the elastic...I am curious to see what others experiences are

eventer_mi
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
You REALLY need this one:
http://www.fivestartack.com/breastplate_fst.php

Oooohhhhh....so pretty....must...resist...taking....out....credit. ..card....

greyTBlove
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
That is REALLY pretty!!!! They have such nice tack! Do I get a discount if I buy...everything!!!!

Carried Away
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:07 PM
do a search on Bartville Harness in PA, their breastplates are the same as BoB's and MUCH cheaper :)

Xctrygirl
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:14 PM
Also lots of us live close to Bartsville and will happily go get what you want and ship it to you, since they're amish and don't do internet etc.

~Em

greyTBlove
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:15 PM
Do they have a mail order catalog to look at?

faybe
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:21 PM
I've had the elastic Nunn Finer for almost 10 years and never had a problem with it stretching or keeping it clean. I don't fit it so tightly that the elastic is always having to give- the only time it ever has to stretch is when the horse makes a big effort XC. And ditto the sponging comment- I've never had trouble keeping it clean. Highly recommend!

faybe
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
Do they have a mail order catalog to look at?

Yes, you have to call and ask them to mail it to you though. I don't have the number handy but I'm sure someone else on here does...

greyTBlove
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:24 PM
I just called and left a message for a catalog. I did a search on their tack and I am really excited to get a catalog so I can order!! Looks like from the search I did that they make the nunn finer stuff?

faybe
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:35 PM
I just called and left a message for a catalog. I did a search on their tack and I am really excited to get a catalog so I can order!! Looks like from the search I did that they make the nunn finer stuff?

Some, but not all of it. There is another thread talking about this right now or recently, if you do a search. It is great quality and terrific service regardless.

greyTBlove
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:37 PM
Does anyone currently have a Bartville catalog that can look up the price for their hunting breastplate?

SonnysMom
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:03 PM
From the 2011 catalog
#83 Hunt Breastplate with Elastic Side Straps Havana or Black Solid Brass or SS Hardware
Cob and Horse Size $92.15
Oversized $95.85

#47 Hunt Breastplate Havana or Black Solid Brass or SS Hardware
Cob and Horse Size $84.65
Oversized $88.15

#50 Standing Attachment Havana or Black Solid Brass or SS Hardware C/H/OS $13.20

#49E Running Attachment with Elastic Havana or Black Solid Brass or SS Hardware
C/H $34.55
OS $37.45

#49 Running Attachment Havana or Black Solid Brass or SS Hardware
C/H $23.60
OS $25.70

I included the standing and running martingale attachments just in case.

ltmac
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:57 PM
I've had the elastic hunting breastplate for about two years, it's been through so much and still looks great! I like the classic look it provides and with the elastic it fits most all horses. Definitely recommend it! :)

jconnors
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:04 PM
I have had a couple of Bartville elastic breastplates over the years and for Pony Club formals I would keep them clean by using baking soda or a baking soda toothpaste and and a toothbrush.

Carolinadreamin'
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:05 PM
You REALLY need this one:
http://www.fivestartack.com/breastplate_fst.php

Oooohhhhh....so pretty....must...resist...taking....out....credit. ..card....

Thanks for that link, very timely! It will arrive tomorrow, whoop!

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:13 PM
Awww man... I should have ordered that one... I ordered the nunn-finer hunting five point one..... (was debating between the two) and the nunn-finer one is on backorder. :( Oh well... at least I could order boots too... which are also on back order ;) Oh well.. can't win with the breastplate it seems.... it's been one epic fail after another with that!

Carolinadreamin'
Apr. 14, 2011, 06:25 PM
This will be the second breastplate we've tried, flecken. When I placed my order for the five star tack one last night, the price rang up as less than that price that was quoted, so I hope it is not on backorder!

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
I've got you beat by one :) This will be our third attempt. Although I did peek on fivestar last night and they did say it was unavailable, so maybe you got the last one!! :)
But I couldn't figure out how to order an oversize... as it wasn't in the drop down list. Maybe because it's out of stock too.

Good luck!!!

goodmorning
Apr. 15, 2011, 10:23 AM
Give them a call or send an e-mail. I ordered one yesterday :winkgrin: :D and she was trying to figure out what was going on with the website, she ended up sending me an invoice instead, but they were in stock last time I checked ;)

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 15, 2011, 10:55 AM
Oh drats!!

Fail number 3! The Nunn-finer breastplate is in stock in brass, but not nickel... I kinda really want nickel. Or zinc.. whatever.. the silver!

So.... I looked up fivestar and they are also on backorder. Though.. if you pre-order it's 15% off. So I may just suck it up and do that....

How quickly does Bartsville get them done? And ship to Georgia?? I just don't want the sheepskin disks... I want leather :)

goodmorning
Apr. 16, 2011, 03:51 PM
Just received my Five Star breastplate today - it's gorgeous! Can't wait to put it to use tomorrow :D

Carolinadreamin'
Apr. 16, 2011, 03:55 PM
Just received my Five Star breastplate today - it's gorgeous! Can't wait to put it to use tomorrow :D

Haha! I was coming on to COTH just to post that I received mine today. It is gorgeous! I love the elastic (black with the blue) and the leather strap that attaches to the girth is nicely stitched and very nicely padded. Can't wait to try it tomorrow - I hope it fits!

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 18, 2011, 02:49 AM
man... I can't decide to stick with my nunn-finer hunting with elastic one, or cancel that order and try the five star tack one.... I wish one was in stock and not on back order, but.... oh well.

Glad you guys like yours :)

scubed
Apr. 18, 2011, 08:35 AM
Saw someone with an Antares this weekend. Ridiculously expensive, but droooool

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?ProductClassId=4726&cm_mmc=paidfeeds-_-froogle-_-NA-_-14726

Jleegriffith
Apr. 18, 2011, 10:19 AM
I just bought this lovely five star tack breastplate on their sample sale- http://www.fivestartack.us/prod_breastplate.asp

Absolutely gorgeous! Five Star tack donated many lovely bridles to CANTER Mid Atlantic for our training horses and I wanted to buy a breastplate to match. The detail and padding on the bridles and strap work are beautiful.

I love Bartville but Five Star has them beat.

goodmorning
Apr. 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
I just bought this lovely five star tack breastplate on their sample sale- http://www.fivestartack.us/prod_breastplate.asp

So you are the one who beat me out on that purchase :lol: At least it went to a COTH'er. I think Five Stars charitable ventures are wonderful - a reason I initially purchased something from them vs. The large European brand...have yet to disappoint :)

Jleegriffith
Apr. 18, 2011, 10:40 AM
Ha, I couldn't resist. I have a horrible tack addiction and the CANTER horses needed it you know;) It came with a running martingale that is super adjustable. I probably need one in cob size because some of the guys are a bit narrow but it was a good deal. I really like their tack and that they contribute to charitable contributions especially those who support ottb's.

Carolinadreamin'
Apr. 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
I tried it on my horse (huge shoulders, deep chest ) yesterday and it fit great! It looks fabulous on him to boot. I am now a huge fan of Five Star Tack and have my eye on their dressage bridle with the silver Celtic cross on the browband.

albigears
Apr. 18, 2011, 01:59 PM
How do you get a Bartville catalog?