PDA

View Full Version : Check Ligament Strain

Napoles
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:51 AM
My 7 yr old * event horse has just been diagnosed (via ultrasound) with the above and will need 6 months off. :(
Totally and utterly gutted, but fingers crossed he will recover ok.
He is going to have shockwave therapy, and I've just sent off for a pair of Back on Track leg wraps, but I was just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or experiences to share?

FlightCheck
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:11 PM
Been there, just got back.

Shockwave: I highly recommend. Equally helpful was the accompanying ultrasound.

Reserpine did not work for spit. Daily ACE was extremely helpful for handwalking (unless you favor having an up close and personal view of your horse's belly button every day).

Looking ahead and having a plan, calendaring said plan, and keeping daily journals helped too.

My sympathies!

bambam
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:28 PM
My mare had a check ligament injury a couple of years ago.
I did shockwave and stall rest and for some reason that none of the vets who saw her (very good vets) could explain, it was not really healing. So I did a sort of bastardized PRP/stem cell treatment (VEI did it and calls it bone marrow aspirate concentrate- much cheaper than real stem cell and VEI has gotten good results with it) which apparently triggered the healing process and it healed quite nicely after that.
Mare is back in full work and I was told (although I have not done it) that she could resume her prior level of jumping.
At the time she did the injury, I was told a check ligament injury was not a bad one to have as they tend to heal well and that is not a weight-bearing ligament.
I was lucky- my mare was so so so good about the extended stall rest. I only needed drugs for the first couple of days after she went on small paddock turn out. Made life much easier.
Good luck!

trubandloki
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:28 PM
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, more than once!

All healed well.

Loved my back on track wraps.

Did magnet boots and small turn out too.

JER
Mar. 31, 2011, 05:08 PM
I had one that healed but was NQR at the trot after that. He was older and he didn't care; he cantered everywhere, sometimes in the tiniest, slowest canter you've ever seen.

But the ligament was healed per the ultrasound. (The vet had a horse who had the same problem, and ended up the same way.) He was a very good walk-canter horse.
:)

Denali
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:24 PM
If you have to pick one to injure, the check is a good one. We can completely cut it surgically and still have athletic performance horses. However when strained, it can be painful! My GP dressage horse completely ruptured his and never took a lame step. It just blew up, so I ultrasounded it and BOOM... UGLY! I bandaged just to help it scar down smaller for cosmetic reasons, but it just never bothered him!

When it comes to stem cell, PRP, A-Cell etc... I work in a large, well respected, referral hospital in the equine lameness group. I have seen enough of these come back with a BIG negative reactions to the procedures (severely increased lameness, worsened ultrasounds) that you would have to PAY me to put one of those things in my horse at this point.

Let mother nature do her thing first. If at your first recheck you are not getting the healing your veterinarian expects, then discuss other plans if you want. Just my opinion, but I see a lot of this stuff! If you have to do something so you feel better, go with shockwave. I'm not sure it works, but I feel confident it can't hurt!

When it comes to stall rest... if you have a horse that tends to go nutso after a few days in a stall... the WORST thing you can do is lock them up until you just can't stand it or control them any more and then have them get loose or go out and tear around like a total loon. If you have a small small paddock (40ft x 40ft) or a stall with a run... let 'em live there. Walking around is OK. Tearing around their stall or leaping and bucking in place isn't rest. We regularly recommend a small paddock or run with a quiet baby sitter for long term rest.

Best of luck!! Don't be too discouraged!!

Napoles
Apr. 1, 2011, 04:20 AM
Thanks so much all. We are going to set up a very small paddock for him which leads out from a big shed which will become his new home. At least that way he can go in and out as he pleases and get some fresh air and see his buddies outside.
There was still some heat in the area this morning, so am I right in thinking he needs cold hosing rather than the Back on Track wraps (which should be arriving in the post this morning)?