PDA

View Full Version : How much should you tip for a clip job?

Phoebe
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:33 AM
So one of my horses has been at trainers barn for a month - during that time he was clipped and had his mane pulled by trainers groom -- he did a FANTASTIC job - horse looks amazing and I know I'll be charged for the work but I was thinking I should probably tip him something - I just don't have a clue how much Thoughts??

findeight
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:43 AM
If it is included in your board, no tip is required...and many show barns do include that clipping in their regular grooming.

Probably going to catch some heat here but-you don't have to and are not expected to tip for every single service that is included in your board bill or that you will pay extra for...or you will end up tipping out at the end of every month and double that for shows and other extras as well as Christmas.

I used to bring Starbucks for the staff on occasion and was generous at holiday time at at the shows. But I would not tip for a routine trim that you are billed for. Kind of like tipping the farrier for every job.

I am guessing this would be no more then $30-40 on your bill...so something like $10 would be appropriate if you insist on it. 20% of the service.

But you sure do not have to.

Lucassb
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:50 AM
Do you mean body clipped? As in this groom transformed a horse that was shaggy with a winter coat into a gleaming, shiny animal ready to step into a show ring?

If so - although I agree with F8 that this is either part of the full board or will be included on your bill - I would consider tipping, particularly if the horse's coat was pretty rough and the groom made him look as spectacular as you say. Depending on where you are located and what the going rates are in your area, I'd probably tip $30-50.

MHM
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with Lucassb. If you dropped off a yak and picked up a show horse, a tip in the $30-50 range would be nice. If it was just ears/nose/mane, maybe a gift card to Starbucks for a few coffees or something similar.

Phoebe
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:21 AM
Definately dropped off a yak and got a fancy smancy show horse in return - who knew he could look so good (first time he's been clipped)

Thanks for the suggestions

FlightCheck
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:30 AM
I would certainly tip the person who clipped - and not knowing how much is usually charged, at least $30 because it would be SO worth it to me.

findeight
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:17 AM
Oh, a BODY CLIP I would tip for. I read "clipping" as a more basic legs, face, bridle path and mane pull. Not stripping a yak. And it is April so was not thinking Body Clip when I read clip.

I used to not have the barn bill me for body clips but arrange privately with the staff and pay cash at time of service-and pay about 20% more then what the barn would bill.

Surprisingly mine got done first every year, even ahead of those going to Indoors:D.

Pennywell Bay
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:25 AM
If I don't clip myself, I have always had private grooms clip and just pay their price ( $100-200) so no tip. I never even thought of it... hm.

cyberbay
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:10 PM
For me, tipping happens when the service is charged to my board bill, implying that the business is receiving the fee, and the groom who did the actual work may or may not get a cut of that charge.

Body clipping is a big job, so I would always plan to tip if the charge for it goes on my board bill. If I arrange for the service myself, the payment is going straight to the clipper, so no need to tip.

If a service is part of the board, then I will tip the groom who does those services each month or so. Amount? Oh, that is s-o hard. I would go with the amounts mentioned already.

findeight
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:25 PM
If a service is part of the board, then I will tip the groom who does those services each month or so. Amount? Oh, that is s-o hard. I would go with the amounts mentioned already.

I wish I could have afforded to do that...and really, never heard of tipping monthly for routine services included in the board. How do you even break that out when full board at a show barn is around 850-1200 most places now?

AndNirina
Mar. 31, 2011, 01:28 PM
$30 and a bottle of wine to my friend who clipped my new guy last week. He wasn't a yak, but was a difficult clip job even when sedated.

bjd2013
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:03 PM
I clip, pull manes, etc. at our barn, and do not usually expect a tip, but it is always nice to get an extra 10 or 15 bucks, especially if the horse is a fur ball or horrendous to clip!

TheJenners
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:43 AM
I just clipped my pony today (late, I know, but check my location ;) ). After all the hair in my eyes, mouth, under my clothes, and just being miserable for 2.5 hours...yeah, I'd tip someone doing the same job. WORTH it to not do it yourself, esp if they are good at it. Probably $20 over what was charged, esp if the barn is charging, not the groom.

Napoles
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:14 AM
Probably a very different situation but we have someone come out to clip our horses (I clip some myself, but it is SO much easier to have someone else do it) and he charges 60 euro per horse. Just body clipping on its own and he uses his own machine and own blades etc. Also brings someone with him to hold the horses.

Madeline
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:50 AM
Boy, was my mother smart! If we kept our grades up we were allowed to clip...

Lucassb
Apr. 1, 2011, 11:01 AM
I wish I could have afforded to do that...and really, never heard of tipping monthly for routine services included in the board. How do you even break that out when full board at a show barn is around 850-1200 most places now?

When I boarded at a BNT/full service place... the "suggested" tip was in the range of $100-125 monthly. It was made clear that it was not really an optional thing, either.

I will say my groom was awesome and certainly deserved/appreciated the cash... but man, the nickel and diming (or hundreds and hundreds) that were expected on top of an already crazy monthly cost really added up, and was one of the reasons I left.

pds
Apr. 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
$15-$20 is what I think would be appropriate.

Lord Helpus
Apr. 1, 2011, 04:17 PM
I am living in a dream world. I figure that people who clip (outside people who you hire separately from barn help) set their price at what they want to get. And I always pay that without question (of course).

It has never occurred to me to tip on top of that.

I also never tip the farrier or the vet or the chiropractor. They are all independant contractors who set their own prices at what they expect to get for the work done.

Do other people tip:

The vet for each call?
The farrier for each shoeing?
The chiro for each adjustment?
The hay man/shavings man for each load?
The man who mows the fields?

Unless you answered either "yes" to all or "no" to all, then what is the criteria you use to decide who and when to tip?

MHM
Apr. 1, 2011, 04:37 PM
LH, I would be inclined to tip someone who is an employee, not an independent contractor. So maybe the delivery guy who unloads all the shavings, especially on a hot day. :)

In the OP's case, it sounded like it was the trainer's employee who did the clipping. Unless the OP knows for a fact the clipping fee will go in the employee's pocket, a tip is a nice idea, IMO.

TheJenners
Apr. 1, 2011, 04:58 PM
^

As I stated, I'd tip for if I was being charged by a barn, when I know that not all the money is going to the groom/employee.

Dressagelvr
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:27 PM
I do all my own clipping, so can't comment.

But doesn't clipping this late ruin their summer coat?

I won't clip any of mine after mid January.

TheJenners
Apr. 1, 2011, 05:56 PM

No.

Showbizz
Apr. 1, 2011, 06:32 PM
No.

Ditto. I've clipped many a horse in Feb/Mar/Apr that still had good coats in the summer.

Old Fashioned
Apr. 2, 2011, 09:20 AM
As a general rule I don't tip 'private contractors' like farriers, body clippers & braiders. They have calculated what their time/services are worth and are charging me accordingly. If they have gone out of their way or done a spectacular job. Then I give about 15% of what I was originally charged.

Grooms don't fall under that rule and I tip accordingly. 10% - 15% of what I'll be charged for the service but 20% of the charge if it is an incredible job.

Alterrain
Apr. 2, 2011, 10:29 AM
Well, I don't clip for clipping. "Cause my monthly bill goes like this"

$huge amount that includes everything, payable to barn.
$100 per body clip, cash only, give directly to head guy.

So I know the guys get the cash.

Alterrain
Apr. 2, 2011, 10:32 AM

I won't clip any of mine after mid January.

My guys get clipped year round, oh maybe five times a year? Without looking back over my bills I can't be sure. Usually like Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, and then sometime in June/ July. They always look fab.

Showpony
Apr. 10, 2011, 02:29 PM
I do a lot of body clipping and usually don't get or expect a tip.
You can body clip anytime of the year! I think the late winter/spring is the best time to clip.

shoponee70
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:32 PM
so. i think anyone whose ever body clipped will agree - no amount could possibly be enough! hahahaha. OMG.. I have no idea how i body clipped horses as a kid for money! ;D I hate doing my own now! Just clipped a large pony last week whom I'm trying to sell who was taking his sweet time shedding out. Blagh!

Aside from my personal despisement of yak shearing :D I think you may want to ask trainer / barn manager if she would mind if you tipped the groom for a good job. some trainers are weird about that as it can cause a stir with other staff members - if hes the only groom I can't see why trainer / barn manager might care. I think 30 would be super generous and very appreciated. If the trainer has a problem w/ a cash tip, i would ask if you can do a gift card to a local restaurant he can grab a nice lunch at. Either way I'm sure you will quickly become his favorite client in the barn!

MHM
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:16 PM
I thought of this thread yesterday when I clipped a pony who definitely looked like a yak! There was so much hair on the ground afterwards, it looked like you could knit another pony. :eek: