PDA

View Full Version : Farriers Lexington ky

Good Choice
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:39 AM
So I just found out that my farrier, who does GREAT work at a very reasonable price, is moving across the country :( anyone have recommendations for a good farrier in Lexington KY??

Tamara in TN
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:00 AM
Rood and Riddle should know some of the best up there in that area.Have you asked them ?

Tamara

scubed
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:29 AM
Dorothy Crowell has a great farrier. Eric Parrish, maybe. I don't quite remember the name

Auburn
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:10 AM
When the farrier that I had used for a year and a half did a very bad trim and my horse went lame for two weeks, a friend suggested that I call Juan Carlos Sambrano.

I believe that he used to work at Rood and Riddle as one of their farriers.

He came out immediately to work on my horses' feet. She was sound two days after he shod her. Two weeks after he shod her, we placed 3rd at the Paul Frazer combined test at the KHP. :)

When he came out this week to reset, he shod in front and left her barefoot behind.

He also works for Kesmark (sp?) who does rehab on horses. Dr. Rocky Mason thinks quite highly of Juan Carlos, too. If you want his phone number, give me a pm?

EventerAJ
Mar. 31, 2011, 02:20 PM
Dorothy Crowell has a great farrier. Eric Parrish, maybe. I don't quite remember the name

Eric Parsons. He's super duper awesome. Not cheap, but he will do whatever's best for your horse. Never seen a horse he couldn't fix!

I use Jesse Kleintop. He worked with Eric & Dr. Redden for several years before branching out on his own. A little less expensive than Eric, but still has plenty of experience with sporthorses. His wife events, too.

PM for phone numbers. Both these farriers are great guys, do right for the horse, and willing to teach-- I've learned a ton from both of them!

Dance_To_Oblivion
Mar. 31, 2011, 04:07 PM
I have recently started using Jerry Linker and have been very pleased with his work and the fact that he is very reasonably priced. PM for his phone number.

FoxChaser
Mar. 31, 2011, 05:59 PM
Eric's older brother, Doug Parsons, is most excellent as well :)

eventersmom
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:05 PM
When the farrier that I had used for a year and a half did a very bad trim and my horse went lame for two weeks, a friend suggested that I call Juan Carlos Sambrano.

I second Juan Carlos! He works on my daughter's horse and he does great work. He's also prompt, has a nice way with the horses and his prices are fair.

UKYeventer
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:21 AM
Juan Carlos is GREAT! He is always early, very patient with the horses, extremely quick, and his prices are more then fair. I started using him 4 years ago when I was interning at KESMARC. After seeing what a great job he did on horses that had severe lameness issues, I knew I could trust him to do a great job on my event horses.

merrygoround
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:05 PM
Rob Spencer. Might not be the most reasonable, but does great work.

Takeachance123
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:21 PM
Tom Joyce is a qualified master farrier from Ireland. He is very good and very reasonable priced! He does stay very busy though!!

DQLite
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:30 PM
I second Takeachance123's recommendation for Tom Joyce. He's a great guy and a very knowledgeable horseman and farrier. On top of being a Certified Master Farrier he was also a Grand Prix show jumper in former years.

His website:

http://www.kyfarrier.com/index.htm

RedRyderKy
Apr. 2, 2011, 11:01 AM
For a list of Farriers in your area, check out the American Farriers Association website : www.americanfarriers.org

Personal preference is for a Certified Journeyman Farrier and not just because my husband is one! Part of the requirements for this certification is to shoe a horse in a set amount of time with shoes on all four feet that are handmade from pieces of straight steel. This is not an easy task and requires many hours of practice. My thought is that if a farrier can do that, they will be able to fit my horse properly regardless of the type of shoe used.

Hey Mickey
Apr. 2, 2011, 11:44 AM
Eric Parsons is wonderful!!!
He does my horse when ever I'm at Dorothy's.

olympicdreams04
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:45 PM
While there are a couple of farriers mentioned here that I'm pretty sure couldn't nail a shoe on to the broad side of a barn in a suitable manner, Tom Joyce is bar none the best farrier in the Southeast (possibly in the world ;-)). He is very prompt to return calls and will rush to his clients aid when emergencies arrive. In addition to saving my Intermediate horses hind hoof after a staph infection left it severely misshapen, he keeps my racehorse winning on the racetrack and even tolerates my three nearly-feral minis and one loud, rambunction pig. I can't say enough good things about Tom. Oh yeah, and he is apparently a Bareback Puissance star. What a champion!

DLee
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:55 PM
Gage Morgan has done a really good job for me for five years now, even my next to impossible club footed horse.

spookhorse
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:57 PM
Chris Giebler is awesome! I've used him for some time now and he has done wonders on horses that other farriers nearly ruined... PM me if you want his number :)

ddashaq
Apr. 3, 2011, 11:08 PM
While there are a couple of farriers mentioned here that I'm pretty sure couldn't nail a shoe on to the broad side of a barn in a suitable manner, Tom Joyce is bar none the best farrier in the Southeast (possibly in the world ;-)). He is very prompt to return calls and will rush to his clients aid when emergencies arrive. In addition to saving my Intermediate horses hind hoof after a staph infection left it severely misshapen, he keeps my racehorse winning on the racetrack and even tolerates my three nearly-feral minis and one loud, rambunction pig. I can't say enough good things about Tom. Oh yeah, and he is apparently a Bareback Puissance star. What a champion!

Yep, I use him, too. Did very good things for my last gelding who came with very neglected feet. He is quite a character, as well!;)

SeeHowSheRuns
Apr. 4, 2011, 04:29 PM
Chris Giebler is awesome! I've used him for some time now and he has done wonders on horses that other farriers nearly ruined... PM me if you want his number :)

He worked on my horses a couple of years ago, and I did not have the same experience with his work as you had...
Additionally, without going into detail, he used to work on a friend's horse, and he no longer does.

chestnutwithchrome
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:14 PM
Donnie Brandonburg. Great Guy, does a great job, trained at the podiatry center for a year or two and will work along side your vet if you have hoof problems. Very reasonably priced and always prompt to call you back and come out. Lives in Lawrenceburg, but travels all over ( I live in Georgetown area) PM if you want phone number.

buschkn
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:19 AM
I also highly recommend Tom Joyce. He is a super guy, a great farrier, and is very reasonably priced, often less than HALF what some of the recommendations charge. There are some pretty arrogant self-important farriers in the Lexington area, and Tom is certainly not one of them. He has done all my horses for several years now, and is always willing to help in a pinch as well. I highly recommend him, and he is definitely one funny Irishman as well. :)

steelbak
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
We take on multiple horse accounts in the Lexington area, and are there often in the summer especially. We are based out of Cincinnati, but follow the shows from Lexington to Florida. I have a decent website if you would like to peruse.

Arch
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:42 PM
I also cast my vote for Tom Joyce, he does good balanced shoeing, is super with young horses and has a great sense of humor to boot!

One of the farriers on this thread is the exact opposite, you can pm me for more info if you want and I can tell you one that I would stay away from.

jjumpergirl22
Jun. 16, 2011, 12:29 PM
Had him come to stable, think he was drunk - smelled like it. I am a 22 year old girl - Joyce looked at me more then the horse - felt very uncomfortable! When he was shoeing my young horse, the horse pulled his foot away after his sole was cut too deep. Joyce stood up and punched the horse right in the nose twice with his fist very hard. My horse almost fell down. I was so upset!!! I later found out from a stable owner that Joyce was involved with a Christine Salamie in Chicago [edit] She was banned from showing in IL. The Joyces moved away from IL shortly after that. [edit]. I also heard locally that Tom, while he is shoeing at your stable gets information about boarders then him and his brother James [edit] tries to get the boarders to leave the stable - claiming James can train better. Be very carefull around the Joyces. pm me for more specific info.

ps: I did not think you could advertize on forums (Joyce's web site) ?

I second Takeachance123's recommendation for Tom Joyce. He's a great guy and a very knowledgeable horseman and farrier. On top of being a Certified Master Farrier he was also a Grand Prix show jumper in former years.

His website:

http://www.kyfarrier.com/index.htm

evntr5218
Jun. 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
[edit] oh please lol!!! i see some similiarities between this poster (this is their first post on one that has long been off the boards) and churchillhuntclubs...just saying.

pinkdiamondracing
Jun. 16, 2011, 01:37 PM
I highly recommend Tom Joyce-- he is super busy, which is a sign of being good at what you do-- I also use Jerry Meling, who is also super busy.

olympicdreams04
Jun. 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
Jj, take your trolling somewhere else! No need for false accusations and slander on this board. There are quite alot of us who swear by Tom and will defend his name.

evntr5218
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
agreed. he has been around lexington for quite some time and i mirror all the positive comment people have made on here. not only a great farrier but great person. so go on troll before someone drops a house on you!

TJGoSurf
Jun. 17, 2011, 09:56 AM
Need a farrier in Lexington KY? Ok, go to Walmart, find a rock when you get there or before. Take the rock and throw it across the parking lot as hard as you can. First person it hits should be your new farrier.

ddashaq
Jun. 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
Had him come to stable, think he was drunk - smelled like it. I am a 22 year old girl - Joyce looked at me more then the horse - felt very uncomfortable! When he was shoeing my young horse, the horse pulled his foot away after his sole was cut too deep. Joyce stood up and punched the horse right in the nose twice with his fist very hard. My horse almost fell down. I was so upset!!! I later found out from a stable owner that Joyce was involved with a Christine Salamie in Chicago [edit] She was banned from showing in IL. The Joyces moved away from IL shortly after that. [edit]. I also heard locally that Tom, while he is shoeing at your stable gets information about boarders then him and his brother James [edit] tries to get the boarders to leave the stable - claiming James can train better. Be very carefull around the Joyces. pm me for more specific info.

ps: I did not think you could advertize on forums (Joyce's web site) ?

That is some crazy active imagination you've got there. Tom has been doing work at the barn I board at for years. He has not once shown up drunk, he shows no interest in anything other than the horses, and has never attempted to lure anyone from the barn into training with his brother. Seeing as his wife is a trainer it would make more sense that he would try and lure riders/horses for her, but that has never happened either. He does good work, his rates are reasonable, and he is very easy to work with-- three things lacking in the majority of the farriers I meet. I saw your mother's rant a few months ago about the Joyce's and you all clearly have some issues. Seriously,let it go.

jjumpergirl22
Jun. 18, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm from Ohio State U and am here for summer. I don't think punching a horse in the nose is OK - but if you and other posters do - that's your/their problem. After this happened, I googled Christine Salamie and found out all the rest of this stuff. Not to cool tommy's girl... I now also see you have caused problems for other people...

On the internet you profess to be a professional - start acting like one or is that all BS too...

ps. I'm studying law in school and FYI you cannot "report" a post like this to a court system - more bs...

Anyone who knows Tom knows this is incorrect. Your post has been reported to the Kentucky Courts System where your family tried to sue Tom for not shoeing all your horses for FREE! We know you are scamers and fools. You were ordered by the courts to quit stalking us and leave us alone. Geena and Sandy Latanzio! we know it is you!!!

jjumpergirl22
Jun. 18, 2011, 06:37 PM
dd - Just google Christine Salamie and read. Rrrrr iiiii ght the shoes he put on my horse - one fell off in two days....

That is some crazy active imagination you've got there. Tom has been doing work at the barn I board at for years. He has not once shown up drunk, he shows no interest in anything other than the horses, and has never attempted to lure anyone from the barn into training with his brother. Seeing as his wife is a trainer it would make more sense that he would try and lure riders/horses for her, but that has never happened either. He does good work, his rates are reasonable, and he is very easy to work with-- three things lacking in the majority of the farriers I meet. I saw your mother's rant a few months ago about the Joyce's and you all clearly have some issues. Seriously,let it go.

jjumpergirl22
Jun. 18, 2011, 07:26 PM
Google Christine Salamie and read!!!!!!
Read about the murder of her husband, his missing horses, Tom in Ocala trying to sell horses for her, Tom showing for her, Her being banned from showing in IL..... Read. If you think all this is a lol matter - your sick.... just saying.

[edit] oh please lol!!! i see some similiarities between this poster (this is their first post on one that has long been off the boards) and churchillhuntclubs...just saying.

Moderator 1
Jun. 18, 2011, 09:27 PM
We've removed/edited some recent comments. Clearly there's a dispute at play involving some parties posting on this thread. Please avoid turning this thread into a battleground for that particular issue and return it to the main topic--farrier recommendations in the Lexington area.

Thanks,
Mod 1

Bacchus
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:42 PM
Donnie Brandonburg. Great Guy, does a great job, trained at the podiatry center for a year or two and will work along side your vet if you have hoof problems. Very reasonably priced and always prompt to call you back and come out. Lives in Lawrenceburg, but travels all over ( I live in Georgetown area) PM if you want phone number.

Two of my friends and I use Donnie (didn't know it until today). He is a great guy, and he does a good job on my horses' feet. I keep mine barefoot, so nothing fancy, but Donnie is quiet, kind, and tells me everything that's going on. Plus, he's fun to talk to. My horses' feet look great.

fleur de duc
Jun. 20, 2011, 08:12 PM
Two of my friends and I use Donnie (didn't know it until today). He is a great guy, and he does a good job on my horses' feet. I keep mine barefoot, so nothing fancy, but Donnie is quiet, kind, and tells me everything that's going on. Plus, he's fun to talk to. My horses' feet look great.

Agreed. I have used both Tom and Donnie. Donnie did a fabulous job on my gelding who could be a pain to deal with most times. He was very patient and good with him, even when he was having issues with standing and behaving. I only stopped using him because I lost my horse.

Tom did my other horse across town, and although it was a decent job, it was only a little trim so its pretty hard to screw that up. I didn't like however, that he seemed to be interrogating me some about my other farrier and how he could do his shoes cheaper. It just did not sit well with me. But I don't think he really meant any harm by it.

moonriverfarm
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:07 PM
Google works both ways.
I second Tom Joyce.

fire_911medic
Oct. 25, 2013, 09:43 PM
I have recently started using Jerry Linker and have been very pleased with his work and the fact that he is very reasonably priced. PM for his phone number.

I'm sorry, but your name implies that likely you suffered the same fate I have with Jerry Linker unless you horse is barefoot. I had shoes on my one and he covered up white line and just put the shoes back on over it multiple times. Plus shoes never really fit correctly. I quit using him after having shoes pulled (due to having some extended time off myself) and was planned to leave him barefoot for the winter. This is a horse that had great feet all his life. It will now take about six months to get a healthy hoof back due to his ignorance and neglect. And no my horse's feet were NEVER neglected. They were done every 5 weeks and brushed, scrubbed, and treated and ensured they were kept dry. It will now be months to be able to put shoes on him again. Thanks for nothing Jerry. I can say good things regarding eric and doug parsons (though doug can be a bit of a rough character but is competent enough), ric redden, juan carlos, tom joyce, and chris giebler. Jerry speaks a great game, but is incompetent or just too old to do the job. Either way, he needs to get out of it for the horse's sake. He ran a fly by night farrier school in Concord, North Carolina (north carolina horseshoeing school) and was practically ran out of the area. His "equimove" crap is something made up and unsound. I will give anybody a chance and I gave him benefit of the doubt because that's how I am despite what all I read. Google him - all you find positive is on his website, on farrier forums and even my own vet and other farriers in our barn (who don't do dressage horses but reiners so have no stake in the game wouldn't do my horses anyway) speak negatively in regards to him. Save your horse's feet and soundness find one of the much better farriers !

Dance_To_Oblivion
Oct. 25, 2013, 09:54 PM
I'm sorry, but your name implies that likely you suffered the same fate I have with Jerry Linker unless you horse is barefoot. I had shoes on my one and he covered up white line and just put the shoes back on over it multiple times. Plus shoes never really fit correctly. I quit using him after having shoes pulled (due to having some extended time off myself) and was planned to leave him barefoot for the winter. This is a horse that had great feet all his life. It will now take about six months to get a healthy hoof back due to his ignorance and neglect. And no my horse's feet were NEVER neglected. They were done every 5 weeks and brushed, scrubbed, and treated and ensured they were kept dry. It will now be months to be able to put shoes on him again. Thanks for nothing Jerry. I can say good things regarding eric and doug parsons (though doug can be a bit of a rough character but is competent enough), ric redden, juan carlos, tom joyce, and chris giebler. Jerry speaks a great game, but is incompetent or just too old to do the job. Either way, he needs to get out of it for the horse's sake. He ran a fly by night farrier school in Concord, North Carolina (north carolina horseshoeing school) and was practically ran out of the area. His "equimove" crap is something made up and unsound. I will give anybody a chance and I gave him benefit of the doubt because that's how I am despite what all I read. Google him - all you find positive is on his website, on farrier forums and even my own vet and other farriers in our barn (who don't do dressage horses but reiners so have no stake in the game wouldn't do my horses anyway) speak negatively in regards to him. Save your horse's feet and soundness find one of the much better farriers !
That post must have been quite awhile ago as I no longer use him and would no longer recommend him for a variety of reasons.

My username is actually the Jockey Club name of my first horse :)

cindylouwho
Oct. 28, 2013, 05:38 PM
Didn't Tom Joyce move to CA with his wife?

chestnutwithchrome
Oct. 28, 2013, 05:41 PM
Yes, this is an old thread. The Joyces now live in temecula.