PDA

View Full Version : Goat Peeps...Ollie has a question!

CosMonster
Mar. 31, 2011, 02:10 AM
It's about pain medication. For the first week or so after his attack, Ollie was on Banamine and was doing well. Our vet recommended that we discontinue it due to potential digestive problems. That was a week ago at least.

I still think Ollie is hurting a lot. I don't think he is in severe pain, probably not enough to risk ulcers or other major digestive upset, but I'd like to do something to ease his pain. The wound is healing well but it is really deep and I'm sure there is a lot of non-visible soreness in addition to the visible injury. In short, I've had wounds like that and they hurt like hell for ages.

Does anyone have any pain relieving suggestions that would be safe in this situation?

ETA: Ollie is currently under regular veterinary care, just so no one worries. He was last seen about a week ago when we were advised to discontinue Banamine. When asked about it, the vet said he thought he would be better off without pain medication. I'm just investigating our options as my vet is not a goat vet, but is the best local option.

deckchick
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:43 AM
Goats are tough, I wouldn't worry about it unless he was showing signs of being in discomfort.

Treats and scratches seem to work best for my goats. :)

SLW
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:49 AM
I wonder if deep massage or heat packs would help Ollie a little bit. Otherwise, if he is eating, pooping and acting mostly okay, he is probably okay. The nanno second he refuses food you have a problem.

Years ago we had two does that had to be surgically disbudded after 3 attempts of regular burn offs failed in the fall. We waited until Feb to do the proceedure so the flies wouldn't be an issue during the healing. One doe bounced right back the day of surgery, the second was kept overnight because of bleeding and stress. We brought her home the following day and she was in pain. If your familiar with a surgical disbudding you know why. All she would eat was white bread. After three days she bounced back and hit her groove but it was touch and go there in the beginning. :(

Good luck with Ollie!

Somermist
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:08 AM
Well, one or two goats probably does not qualify me as a true goat person, but since they do tend to get themselves into stuff from time to time. Here's what I know. Banamine seems to be the pain med of choice for goats. However, because it builds up in vital organs and will cause permanent damage to the animal, including but not limited to ulcerations in the digestive system of the goats.

So that is why you can only use it for limited periods of time. I guess I would keep working on the wound and see what the vet advises.

Maybe there will be a true "goat person" that will pop up and tell me I am full of it, but this is what the vets have told me.

Good luck. Keep us posted on Ollie.:cool:

yellow-horse
Mar. 31, 2011, 05:17 PM
I've used regular old motrin liquid about 200mg for my 100lb goat who had a gangrene mastitis and mastectomy that had to heal from the inside out, we couldn't suture it, it was pretty nasty and the vet gave her a minimal chance to recover, i kept having to pack the wound and it was painful to her but bless her she tried very hard to put up with it. It was wet to dry saline dressings to just debride and then packed with day after. I didn't give her the motrin round the clock, just about an hour before irrigating and packing the wound. This went on for about a month. She's still alive 5 years later and healed fine.
Please though check with the vet before giving anything to a goat, they don't tolerate some meds well

CB/TB
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:25 PM
They can take asprin,and bute. Many years ago I needed some pain meds for a goat and my horse vet looked it up in his Merck nad had to look twice at the asprin dosage! It was a lot. idon't remember how many, but at least 10 adult dose asprin- if not more. H e was amazed. I have large breed goats( about( 100lbs), but the dosage was more than a grown person would take! My goat vet allows banamine- just a "smear" from a horse sized tube.

CosMonster
Apr. 1, 2011, 11:22 AM
Well, one or two goats probably does not qualify me as a true goat person, but since they do tend to get themselves into stuff from time to time. Here's what I know. Banamine seems to be the pain med of choice for goats. However, because it builds up in vital organs and will cause permanent damage to the animal, including but not limited to ulcerations in the digestive system of the goats.

So that is why you can only use it for limited periods of time. I guess I would keep working on the wound and see what the vet advises.

Maybe there will be a true "goat person" that will pop up and tell me I am full of it, but this is what the vets have told me.

Good luck. Keep us posted on Ollie.:cool:

Nope, you're not full of it, that's exactly what the vet said. :) He just thought Ollie would be fine without anything, but I hate seeing my little goat so sore.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. :) I think I might try the heat packs, can't believe I didn't think of that, and will bring up aspirin/some other milder pain killer with the vet. I'm not super worried, though, I would just like to make him more comfortable if I can without causing problems, if that makes sense.

Ollie is doing great in general. The wound is finally starting to close up and visibly heal. He is really stiff and sore in the that shoulder but not like dead lame or anything--like I said, I've had similar injuries so I'm pretty sure I know what he's feeling and it's that awful deep muscle ache. He's still jumping around and is more mobile than he was even a few days ago. Yesterday I was watching him take himself on a walkabout of their pen's perimeter, which used to be one of his favorite things but he wasn't feeling well enough to do it since the atttack.

Obi
Apr. 1, 2011, 03:16 PM
My male goat got attacked by a pair of dogs and he got pretty badly hurt. Since then I have come to realize that he is a bit of a drama queen. Any cold snap or getting banged around a bit by the horses (he tends to push his nose into their feed buckets when he shouldn;t).

Try to prepare a bed that is off the cold wet ground (a pallet with plywood on it) works great. I then try to cover it with hay or shavings just to keep the chill out. Rather than medicate, I would try to keep him comfortable. My goat has a corner of the hay shed where he is warm at night when it gets cold. Also, with all the wet weather, moisture is deadly to goats. Keep him dry and his hooves dry if possible. Peppermints, carrots, etc. will help. Also keep him out of the cold wind. They may be hardy but when they hurt, the littlest little things can aggrivate them.

After to dog incident, my goat had a hole in his hip bone when they tore the flesh down until you could see the hip socket-gross. It did heal but took awhile. There is something you can buy called Goat Drench which is full of vitamins etc that might help him recover too.

Good luck

JoanR
Apr. 3, 2011, 12:16 AM
I am not a goat person (although two goats live in the barnyard with my mini donk and other assorted animals) but I wanted to thank you for the Ollie update, because I have been thinking of the poor little fellow and I am glad to hear he is healing, even if he has some pain. I hope you are successful in finding a way to make him more comfortable. You are a VERY good goat owner!

CosMonster
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Finnegans Wake, although we're in the desert where it has been reaching the 90s already (though thankfully the last few days have been cooler) and we haven't had decent precipitation for months, so I'm worried about the opposite--overheating and dehydration! That's really good information for future reference, though, since we do have periods of cold and wet here! ;) In their goat pen they do have an awesome goat house that is raised, bedded, and totally enclosed except for a little goat door. They also have a couple of A-frame shelters that they can use for shade/wind blocks (they're solid at the back but otherwise open) and a big pile of wood. It's funny to watch them, when it's cold they're in the goat house, when it's windy and chilly they're sunning themselves behind the wood pile (it's actually an orderly stack of railroad ties), and when it's windy and hot they're under the A-frames.

JoanR, I appreciate the kind words. I definitely try to be the best goat owner I can. I got these little guys kind of on a whim (I'd been wanting goats for awhile but usually I do a TON more research before I take the plunge!) and it's been a learning process, but I do my best. They're awesome little buddies.

So, Ollie update: The vet says he's healed! :D Well, nearly so. The wound was closing rapidly from the inside (as in, from the deepest point) and is now totally scabbed over with a good hard scab. Had the vet out today for some routine stuff with the horses and he took a peek at Ollie and said LEAVE IT ALONE, which is about the best thing to hear in this situation! Ollie is still sore but we are doing heat packs and massage a couple of times a day and it helps a lot. Ollie even head-butted Hektor, our German Shepherd who is approximately 10x Ollie's size (well maybe that is a slight exaggeration) through the fence, which I took as a great sign that he's back to his sassy self. He's still showing some stiffness in that leg but the heat and massage helps tons. We opted not to start him on any additional medication.

Now the tricky part is keeping him from scratching his scab off--we're still keeping him bandaged most of the time just to provide some cushioning! :lol: He loves to rub on the edge of the railroad tie pile, which is the perfect height to rub his scab off on...

I really credit COTH for his success. You guys have given me great tips, lots of moral support, and I swear that COTH jingles do a lot of good...I didn't post the original Ollie thread immediately after the attack, and I swear I saw a difference once I did. ;) My vet, myself, and of course Ollie himself all have a great deal of credit of course, but you guys are great!

Also, it will be late but Ollie pics should really (for real this time) be forthcoming in the next week or so...had my client take some, she's going to e-mail them to me, but I'm going out of town this weekend with no computer access so you may not see them until next week. I'll make a special topic if this thread has fallen by the wayside by then, though. :)

Somermist
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
So glad to hear that little Ollie is getting better. Can't wait for the pictures.:cool: