PDA

View Full Version : Beval Stamford?

horsegal301
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
Just wondering, because I saw the stamford bridle with reins and martingale on sale in the beval clearance but it's in newmarket - does anyone have experience darkening this bridle? Is it worth the money to try to darken it? I don't have much darkening experience, but my bates is a pretty dark chocolate color at the moment.

I'm interested, but don't want to buy it if it will be stubborn or end up a cherry red instead of a darker brown.

horsegal301
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:36 AM
over 20 views and no responses - I know some of you shop at beval, and need your help! =)

pattnic
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:31 AM
Honestly, I would probably ask Beval about it - or if they would be willing to darken it for you.

The Stamford is their lower end, so expect the same quality of stitching, but a lesser quality leather and no roller buckles. Still a much better value than most $65 bridles out there.

BAC
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:32 AM
I know someone who bought two during the sale, and she says they darkened nicely although I have not seen them. Best to check with Beval and see what they say, or better yet let them oil it for you.

Ozone
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
Even though Stamford is considered a lower end of Beval, as Pattnic said, I have one that I picked up on the fly for a Cob I needed it for and I have to say it is not cheaply made, or looking. Actually I believe the nose band does have roller buckle too ;)

I darkened mine (was newmarket). The leather is really soft -it turned a nice havana quickly. 2-3 applications with no compromise to the leather. Not red color either :) If it is in the bargin bin I would get it ...

LunaTheGreyMare
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:16 AM
Did you see the matching standing martingale for $28?? What a deal! How do these bridles fit? Luna has a wimpy head for a trakehner. Cob doesn't quite fit across the browband, but the cheek pieces are good, the throat latch is usually on the second to last hole and the nose band fits well...too bad I can't mix and match!

BAC
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:19 AM
Did you see the matching standing martingale for $28?? What a deal! How do these bridles fit? Luna has a wimpy head for a trakehner. Cob doesn't quite fit across the browband, but the cheek pieces are good, the throat latch is usually on the second to last hole and the nose band fits well...too bad I can't mix and match!

Beval has always been willing to swap out bridle pieces, unless this particular bridle is on clearance and they don't have spare pieces.

pattnic
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:20 AM
Beval has their size chart on their website. They tend to run a bit smaller than the comparable size Edgewood (eg, my mare is a perfect cob size in Beval and while Edgewood cob fits, it's a bit big on her and doesn't fit her as well).

LunaTheGreyMare
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks BAC and pattnic! (Sorry if I just effed up your username! Typing on a smartphone) I'll put in a call to Beval later today!

kporkchop
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:12 PM
I have a Stamford and it is actually quite nice... The martingale has a flat, not padded neckstrap though so it is not as fancy, but for $28 who cares right?

MintHillFarm
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:15 PM
The horse size is sold out. I called yesterday...