PDA

View Full Version : Jumping with draw reins?

columbus
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:30 PM
Jumping with drawreins with a figure-eight nose band tightened down? The picture entering into the Chronicle of the Horse forum shows a picture of this. Would people think this was cruel and dangerous? I gave me a chill when I saw the picture. It has more than enough leverage to tear up a jaw big time. Dangerous for the rider as well as the horse could stumble on landing and not have enough room to be able to used their neck to stay up. Like I said it gave me a chill. PatO

BLBGP
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:40 PM
A little further down the page: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297470 :)

EMR
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:40 PM
It's not a figure-eight nose band. If you look close it's a regular caveson with a flash attached and the flash really tightened down. I'm not a fan of the draw reins but I grew up at a dressage barn that wasn't much a draw rein place so I'm biased.

Made In Canada
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:10 PM
On the topic of draw reins, can someone clarify for me when you would use draw reins attached at the neck (on the breastplate), when you attach on the girth (at the side) and when you use them between the legs (on the girth).
I have only used them attached to the girth between the legs.:)

CBoylen
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:41 PM
I use drawreins to the breastplate when it's a backup for control, for a fresh horse, particularly for jumping. Their use, for me, has very little to do with the frame of the horse, and is simply to give a bit more leverage when the situation calls for it without riding the horse differently and inadvertently changing its way of going. Their presence alone is enough to discourage most horses from playing or running off. They don't generally work well for adjusting the frame of a hunter when run to a breastplate, unless the horse has a severely high carriage on the flat or raises up directly in front of a jump. In those cases they can be useful as a reminder or to make a breakthrough when nothing else works.
I hate them at the side, but people generally use them to the side to help pull together a horse that wants to be strung out and either above or below the bit. You can't get them overflexed, but you also can't really adjust them to much degree easily, and I've never found it too useful.
Between the legs is the best position for frame, because you can ride the horse as you would without them, and they only come into play when the horse isn't in the right spot. It's very hard to get the horse overflexed with them in that position, and it's a good way to address carriage while staying out of the mouth, which is ideal for a hunter, and a good way to fix a horse that relies on a lot of ride to maintain its carriage. Some people jump in them for that reason. It makes me nervous, since I often open my hands too much, but many don't do that and use them when jumping without incident.