PDA

View Full Version : SmartDark and Handsome

3 is the limit
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:51 PM
So SmartPak has added this coat darkener to their product line. It has paprika and nutmeg in it. I know all about the benefits of paprika, but have never heard of using nutmeg for a deeper colored coat. Has anyone ever used it (nutmeg, not SD&H) and how did your horse like it and does it work?

countrcanter
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
I would really like to try this supplement. My mare is on Smartpak Ultra, and the results have been amazing. I'm just a little wary about the Capsaicin. (sp?) Would love to hear others thoughts on this as well.

CC

yellowbritches
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:24 AM
i have no intentions of actually using this product, but when I got the email from SP a few days ago about the product I cracked up....my new horse is just shy of true black. How did they know?!?! :lol: For the record, despite allergies and hives, his coat is VERY shiny and dark, so he doesn't need anything extra, but it was funny that 10 days after bringing him home, I get a product announcement for something that would be PERFECT for him.

Otherwise, I have no info (I LOVE the SmartShine Ultra, which my other horse has been on for quite awhile). I thought paprika was a problem for testing.

danceronice
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:56 AM
I second the question--I thought paprika could cause a positive test?

Lucassb
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
The product notes on the SmartDark & Handsome indicate a caution that it will test.

mojo7777
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:16 AM
I have a horse that is coal black in the winter, and in Spring when his coat sheds out, but fades to bay in the summer. Naturally, I was interested when I got the email, but I've heard about a connection between ulcers and paprika use. Does anyone know if there has been any research, any evidence other than anecdotal, that this could be a problem? I've also heard that you have to start it in the winter to maintain a dark summer coat. True?

gottagrey
Mar. 31, 2011, 04:36 PM
Ditto Lucaasb - remember all those postive tests at Bejing? one of them tested positive because the rider/groom had been using McNasty on the horse's blanket.. I learned from Bejing that I can no longer share my doritos with my horse...because of paprika - or the peppers used to make paprika, etc.

Cartier1
Mar. 31, 2011, 05:13 PM
I also wanted to use this product on my dark bay but SmartPak informed me that it would indeed test. Too bad. I LOVE omega horseshine though, works wonderful for my needs. ;)

JBCool
Mar. 31, 2011, 05:43 PM
I got the email the day after I could change my horse's next order and had just added SmartOmega for his coat (his isn't bad, but I'm a sucker for a shiney horse).

i have no intentions of actually using this product, but when I got the email from SP a few days ago about the product I cracked up....my new horse is just shy of true black. How did they know?!?! :lol: For the record, despite allergies and hives, his coat is VERY shiny and dark, so he doesn't need anything extra, but it was funny that 10 days after bringing him home, I get a product announcement for something that would be PERFECT for him.

If anyone tries this in the next few weeks, would you please report? I'm curious about anything that might help keep him dark in the summer. We show local, so testing shouldn't be an issue.

3 is the limit
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:35 PM
Right now I'm not showing the horse who is getting the paprika and his coat is to die for. Just wondering if nutmeg would help also...
Too bad when I start showing next year I'm going to have to give it up. :(

Across Sicily
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:28 PM
I've used paprika extensively and never had any issue with ulcers. It DOES work incredibly well. Back when I used it I wasn't showing that much, so removing it 10 days prior to competition wasn't a big deal. If you're showing every week, that's another story!

fleur de duc
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:22 PM
anyone have any comparison to black as knight??? Im guessing this is a new product (off to look right now) but I am about to order his summer smartpaks and am thinking this may be better.