PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Are YOU showing vhsa?

darbzilla
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:41 PM
Based on the recent events I was curious to everyone's position. Please explain your answer

Mayaty02
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
I am (or more accurately my 8 yr old is), reason being the following:

1. my daughter is young and this is her first experience with a "circuit", she shows short stirrup. She's 8 and she likes big shiny ribbons LOL

2. all of the decent shows in our area are VHSA Associate rated including all of our farms shows. Can't avoid them.

3. I am completely dissapointed in what happened at the VHSA associate finals, however I think it will be a good experience for my daughter to go. This once. She didn't go last year but the entire barn goes and has a blast, and most of the girls are not able to show on the rated circuit so this is their best shot at a "big" show. Ok sure I'd love to spend the money on a good rated show, but the fact is that most of the "big shows" in our area (if not all) don't offer short stirrup.

So while I am not happy with what I've seen about the organization, I am giving it a shot this year. I will decide after finals if we'll ever go again...but I guess I feel the need to let her go this once, so we can see what its like and she can experience the fun of going to a big away show with her friends.

ETA were I showing as an adult (which I do a tiny bit), VHSA wouldn't matter to me in the slightest and no way woudld I personally be showing at finals

CBoylen
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:20 PM
I showed a couple of young horses in the greens at VHSA associate shows this winter and will continue to do so this summer, and also will help a friend's daughter with her OTTB. All our local schooling shows are VHSA shows. We're schooling. The "discussions" about the VHSA on the board are semi-entertaining, but don't pertain to me one way or the other. All I'm interested in doing is getting horses going around courses respectably enough that they can go to the bigger shows without wasting everyone's time and money.

trina1
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:55 PM
Undecided. I also want my kids to do short stirrup, but am turned off from the discussions about the VHSA finals last November.

SidesaddleRider
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:56 PM
Yes.

I have horses that need mileage, and almost ALL of the local shows near me with good footing, well-designed courses, and appropriate fill on the jumps are VHSA associate shows.

If there was a non-VHSA associate show near me with the above criteria, I would go to that.

In the end, for me, it is about mileage for the greenies, and I prefer not to haul the horses farther than I have to to go to a decent schooling show.

Janet
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:45 PM
Yes, because many of the individual shows are well run, independant of VHSA.

Not joining VHSA.
Not collecting points.
No intention of going to the year end show.

Skeezix
Mar. 31, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have pretty much always shown the VHSA Associate shows because most of them are well run and held at nice places. Having said that, I am not a member, and don't really care about points. After reading the threads, I would really have no interest in the end of the year show anyway :)

justdandy
Mar. 31, 2011, 02:37 PM
Based on the recent events I was curious to everyone's position. Please explain your answer

You should probably ask if people who are showing at VHSA shows are planning on joining VHSA or renewing their membership.

I, for one, am not renewing my membership. However, I do plan on attending VHSA shows.

Like Janet, I'm not going for points or year-end awards. I just want to show and have fun.

QHmom
Mar. 31, 2011, 02:41 PM
Sadly due to a nonexistant mileage rule, 95%of the shows around us are VHSA. I will not be joining, nor my animals or kids. However, I probably will end up at one or two before season is out to prep ponies for hunting. Just heard yet another series of shows were added this week... looking at the dates, that would make 6 shows in a 10 mile area for one weekend alone. How do people make money?

horseladi78
Mar. 31, 2011, 02:41 PM
Yes I am showing, yes they are VHSA affliated shows but NO I am NOT A VHSA member nor plan to be this year. I have in years past but no longer at this point.

LockeMeadows
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yes, and our farm will be holding 4 VHSA Associate shows this year. I love having the shows and they seem to turn into a social event where everyone has a great time. I've spent a ton of money on footing, a state-of-the-art sound system, new jumps, and lots of extras, so I'm really looking forward to this show season!!

Bella'sMom
Apr. 1, 2011, 08:29 AM
Yes, because many of the individual shows are well run, independant of VHSA.

Not joining VHSA.
Not collecting points.
No intention of going to the year end show.

lauriep
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:25 AM
Yes, showing and JOINING. Because I believe you can make more change happen from within than from the outside.

Mayaty02
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:26 AM
Interesting that the majority according to this poll are NOT showing VHSA, yet they are not posting why. I'm curious...I mean I know what the issues are, but those of you who aren't showing VHSA, where are you going to show?

Laurie P, I agree as well!

chunky munky
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:50 AM
Agree with Laurie P. This is hardly a time to be boycotting your local shows where managers try their best to put on a great show for you. Join or don't join, but try to support the locals that you like, or guess what? There won't be any.

Anyplace Farm
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:56 AM
I voted yes, even though I'm not currently showing. When I do show, I will be showing VHSA Associate and some VHSA.

Like someone else said, it is kind of unavoidable. Look, it ain't perfect but for the most part, going to one of their sanctioned shows is a hell of a lot better than what isn't sanctioned, which would be something akin to haybales thrown on grass with fence boards propped up on them for jumps. And I'm sure as hell not gonna haul all the way out to MD to show.

Have been in this area for nearly 40 years. It's where I live and ride. The showing has been just fine for my needs.

RNB
Apr. 2, 2011, 01:49 PM
...This is hardly a time to be boycotting your local shows where managers try their best to put on a great show for you. Join or don't join, but try to support the locals that you like, or guess what? There won't be any.

Agreed.