PDA

View Full Version : Bartville Harness Custom Work - Two Thumbs Up!

pattnic
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:29 PM
Just wanted to throw a quick plug out there for custom work from Bartville Harness, if anyone has been thinking of having them do something.

I had an old breastplate that I absolutely LOVED... but then it finally bit the dust. I had not been able to find a suitable replacement anywhere (the sizing, adjustments, etc were never right).

Finally, when visiting the BF in NY, we took a roadtrip to Bartville in PA.

For a grand total of $96.50, I now have a perfectly custom breastplate, exactly to my specifications, and absolutely the same quality as Nunn Finer! (As expected... but still awesome!)

:D

Ajierene
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:38 PM
Nunn Finer buys their leather and leather products form Bartville. That's why it is the same quality. Going to Bartville/ordering from there is eliminating the middle man.

pattnic
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:43 PM
Nunn Finer buys their leather and leather products form Bartville. That's why it is the same quality. Going to Bartville/ordering from there is eliminating the middle man.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I already knew that Bartville did the work for Nunn Finer. Basically, I meant for this thread as a positive review for anyone considering having them do custom work. It's definitely worth the time to work with them, even if it's all old-school (no interwebs!) :lol:

jn4jenny
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:49 PM

Before a pissing contest ensues with other posters saying "No they don't," let's qualify that by saying that Bartville makes MANY but not ALL of the leather strap goods for Nunn Finer. A number of their newer schmancier bridles, including the Bellissimo series, are coming from another contractor. At least one person has reported a Nunn Finer bridle stamped "India."

But I am a die-hard Bartville fan. In fact, just put in a huge bridle order for my whole barn this morning. They took one look at my Bartville elastic hunt breastplate and said "Well I guess we know where our show bridles are coming from this season." :yes: My guy will be wearing the Bartville equivalent of the Nunn Finer Event Bridle. ;)

VicariousRider
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:55 PM
When by boyfriend started riding he borrowed his cousin's GIANT Percheron cross whose bridle had mysteriously disappeared. We had a custom one made by Bartville (because they don't make them that big!!! :) ) and it was the nicest piece of tack we had. They are so well made and the Stoltzfus' are SO nice.

Another Bartville devotee here!

Creaghgal
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:58 PM
I was there yesterday :) So very grateful to have it close enough to be able to "pop over"

Not to mention all the Amish run nurseries. Goff’s right around the corner from Bartville .... In case anyone was thinking of doing any gardening in the PA area this spring.

Fractious Fox
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:32 PM
I LOVE Bartville! Levi is just a peach and he always seems to remember me, even though we've never met - he's just taken a ton of calls from me! I find myself looking for opportunities to order from them. I'm hoping to order a halter and a breast plate from them soon.

Yay Bartville!

goodmorning
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:32 AM
So you all have me curious...for those that have ordered, what is the turn-around time on the items? Do they make a 5-point breastplate, and just how customizable is it? Thanks!

FLeckenAwesome
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:37 AM
I have the exact same question as goodmorning... :)

How do you go about ordering? Just call them up, tell them what you want, and... then wait for it to arrive? Do they have a catalog at all?

VicariousRider
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:24 AM
Good & Fleck:

I would call and ask. I think that turn around really depends on how much work they have. When e ordered the bridle it was ready in less than 2 weeks. I'm not sure if they were just not that busy or if that is standard.

The BEST thing to do is to actually go to the store (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bartville+pa&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Bartville,+PA&gl=us&ei=FXKUTcKmAs_ogQehnPDWCA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAA)with an example of what you want. The drive there is SO pretty... a real Amish Country experience. Much cooler than the usual Intercourse/Bird in Hand pit stop near Lancaster. This is REAL Amish Country. I've heard rumors about a catalog but I've never seen one.

Apparently they will copy almost anything (including a 5-point breastplate) and I know that the have done a LOT of copies of the Devocoux 5-point.

mswillie
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:43 AM
Good & Fleck:

The BEST thing to do is to actually go to the store (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bartville+pa&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Bartville,+PA&gl=us&ei=FXKUTcKmAs_ogQehnPDWCA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAA)with an example of what you want. The drive there is SO pretty... a real Amish Country experience. Much cooler than the usual Intercourse/Bird in Hand pit stop near Lancaster. This is REAL Amish Country. I've heard rumors about a catalog but I've never seen one.

I was there earlier in the week. They do have a catalog but it's pretty plain, just ask for it. I think they may keep them under the counter so people don't take too many.

I bought a bridle a few weeks ago but when I got it home the brow band was a little too snug so I took it back and Levi just swapped it for one a little larger. Of course while I was there I just had to have a new set of half hole black leathers and a handful of barn supplies. It's wonderful being within reasonable driving distance.

jconnors
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:07 AM
I have been going to Bartville for close to 20 years! They are so great. I always do a custom halter with a cob nose for my mare so it fits her better. Two years ago they made my flat hunt bridle with sewn in extraaaaa long reins and bit for sidesaddle. I also showed them what I wanted for a balance strap and it turned out wonderful. They also did a tri-fold girth for me custom and all of this for around a whopping 300 dollars!

I do believe they are making a 5 point breastplate now, I thought I saw it last time I was up there.

I remember a about 10 years back my Mom and I were tack shop hoping and saw John from BOB in the store. Thats when we figured out about his made in america stuff!

FLeckenAwesome
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:01 AM
ha ha... Considering I live in Georgia.... that's not gonna work.

I'll call.....

Ajierene
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:13 AM
So you all have me curious...for those that have ordered, what is the turn-around time on the items? Do they make a 5-point breastplate, and just how customizable is it? Thanks!

They will make anything you ask them to and come up with a price. This is whether you want a particular color bridle with a particular color rubber reins or some crazy harness contraption that you came up with in a dream. You will need the specs for the latter, though....

DiablosHalo
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:37 AM
Creaghgal... any info on the nursery? I'm looking to get quite a few (100+) evergreens, some shade trees (25+) and some other shrubs this spring. I'm about an hour from Bartville and planned to go there this or next weekend anyway.

Thanks!

goodmorning
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:24 AM
Well, I spoke with the very nice folks at Bartville and will be mailing them a photo of a breastplate I'm interested in, to see if they can make it. It's the Amerigo-style one, from the Allison Springer thread. Very excited to see if they can make this, though my description over the phone was somewhat entertaining...mailing photo's seems much easier :lol:

Trak_Eventer
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:04 AM
Well, I spoke with the very nice folks at Bartville and will be mailing them a photo of a breastplate I'm interested in, to see if they can make it. It's the Amerigo-style one, from the Allison Springer thread. Very excited to see if they can make this, though my description over the phone was somewhat entertaining...mailing photo's seems much easier :lol:

Let us know what they say! I'm interested in getting a look alike also

Carolinadreamin'
Apr. 10, 2011, 05:17 PM

Just curious if you heard back from them as we find ourselves now in need of a breastplate!

goodmorning
Apr. 10, 2011, 05:36 PM
I did hear back, they said that they can probably make it but to be sure we are on the same page regarding the design, I have to mail them some photos. Printed several views out on photopaper & I was mailing them tomorrow. I live a ways from PA so we're going about this the 'snail mail' way ;)