PDA

View Full Version : Full cheek snaffle & bit loops ?

pony grandma
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:06 PM
I just got a Sprenger Dynamic RS full cheek snaffle for 1/2 the money on ebay. Back in my day we used bit loops with full cheek bits. All the photos of horses wearing full cheeks today and I am not seeing bit loops used. Sometimes they were called bit keepers because they keep the cheek from getting caught on something and also because they stabilized the bit in the proper position.

Any reasons? As I am also wondering if the new design bits are better used without keepers to allow more movement or play in the mouth??? Is it counterproductive to hold them to a position because of their design? The dynamic is made with a curve to fit the mouth - so which way does it fit? loose or kept in a fixed position. Right now we're planning on letting the horse tell us which he prefers. But it peaked my curiousity since I started noticing that no one is using keepers.

amastrike
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:15 PM
Full cheek bits should always be used with keepers for safety. People are just lazy.

SmartAlex
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:22 PM
Agreed. I always use them. Always.

Fractious Fox
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:24 PM
Really? I am with the others - they are used for safety. I use a full cheek bit with keepers. Maybe you just can't see them (if you are looking at photos)? Mine are exactly the same color as my bridle and have no contrast stitching, and I've noticed that they really blend in.

pony grandma
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
I can see if there are keepers or not - you can tell from the angle of the bit - and - the distance of the top piece of the bit as related to the bridle cheek piece. If the distance is more than a keeper size - GOOD 'guess' there is no keeper in place, esp if it's 2-3" apart.

If you get the Bit of Britain emailings - look at the photo on today's email as an example of what I am seeing as today's practices.

Blugal
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:34 PM
This topic has been done twice recently:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296044&highlight=full+cheek

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293727&highlight=full+cheek

shawneeAcres
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:36 PM
WE use keepers on full cheeks pretty much always

pony grandma
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:45 PM
Tks for the thread links. I never saw those come up, I didn't have the bit then and didn't question this until I took notice of a few photos lately. It is astonishing isn't it. I always used keepers, for all the reasons given, but was surprised looking at riders now.

Jealoushe
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
I always use them too!

TBROCKS
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:08 PM
I was told by the ring steward at Poplar last summer that bit keepers were no longer legal. I can find nothing official saying this. Maybe the rumour is circulating and people are just taking them off for that reason?