PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever de-wormed yourself?

RacetrackReject
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:51 PM
A friend of mine was saying that she de-worms herself once a year because of all that she comes in contact with in her daily farm life (poop of all species, dirt, trough water, etc). I had never really thought about it and I'm curious if anyone else has done it or if you feel it is necessary. TIA.

SmartAlex
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:54 PM
Is she eating said "poop"?

Teacup
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:05 PM
I have never dewormed myself on purpose.

RacetrackReject
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
It's quite possible..lol. She lets her dog kiss her in the face and I've seen him eat poop, so I would say it's a good bet..lol.

HPFarmette
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:09 PM
do a fecal first....:lol:

oldenmare
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:39 PM
As with Regumate, never intentionally!:lol:

coloredcowhorse
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:43 PM
I think most worm species are species specific....could be wrong...except maybe tapes.

Heliodoro
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:55 PM
Most of farm animal parasites have specific species they can host upon, usually humans can not have a parasite passed to them by their horse/cow/pig/dog and also live inside them. Technically, you could swallow some larvae/eggs/cysts, but the chance of them actually maturing into the adult stage and therefore problematic, are slim.

Ringworm is a whole 'nother story. People usually contract ringworm through their animals. That and tick-borne diseases, but you have to be bitten by the tick in order to have the parasite infect you (ie: you can't get Lyme from touching your horse's fluids).

If a human does get a parasite infection, then there are dewormers very similar to those we give to ruminants (ivermectin for one). I still probably wouldn't run to ValleyVet if I was diagnosed with a tapeworm...

RacetrackReject
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
Ok, I should probably confess that my friend is self-proclaimed "hippy dippy" and is into herbal treatments. This is an herbal de-wormer that she uses. Anyway, she spoke about it like it was quite common, so I thought I would ask around about it.

SmartAlex
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
I still probably wouldn't run to ValleyVet if I was diagnosed with a tapeworm...

Me neither. At least not for the first 30 pounds...

foggybok
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:43 PM
Not on purpose!

As mentioned, most parasites are host specific, but this does not apply to some of the dog and cat parasites. People can get really sick from dog and cat ascarids. Humans are a dead end host and the larva migrate into the tissues and cause all kinds of problems...

You can also get cutaneous larva migrans, which is really gross! Also known as "creeping eruption". Google for a gross picture if you want....:eek: And don't walk barefoot in the grass!

I am much more diligent about washing after handling dogs than I am horses...... And picking up dog poo in the yard....

amastrike
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:50 PM
Me neither. At least not for the first 30 pounds...
:lol::lol:

katarine
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:55 PM
I know of a trainer who dealt with some ongoing abdominal pain, listlessness, etc...who finally determined he had tapeworms. Shudder. I think he got something (rx) from his doctor, though for all I know, he may have hit the Equimectrin ;)

CatOnLap
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:05 PM
The person who treats themselves has a fool for a doctor ( and another one for a patient).

Although perhaps she's just using diatomaceous earth or something else relatively harmless and "herbal".

Or maybe she's hitting the Absinthe.

coloredcowhorse
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:29 PM
Or maybe she's hitting the Absinthe.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

chemteach
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:35 PM
Not on purpose.

Paddys Mom
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:56 PM
Not even accidentally...but I have Gastro-Guarded myself a bit a few times. Blech!

wendy
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:00 PM
I am much more diligent about washing after handling dogs than I am horses
I just worm the dog regularly- heartworm preventative pills take care of most things.

EqTrainer
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:18 PM
Of course I have.

Anyone who thinks humans cannot get the many of the same parasites horses get is naive. Do a little research. Ivermectin has been manufactured for humans in appropriate doses for a long, long time!

skip916
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:29 PM
i have always wished for tapeworms as a quick weight loss scheme...

and thanks foggybok for that picture! i walk around my pasture/barn barefoot in the summer all the time when my feet have gotten wet from bathing the horses! from now on- probably not! eww.

Melelio
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:38 PM
I have, actually....I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it was a human dose of a type of meds we do use on horses....

An internet horse friend's husband also benefited greatly from the treatment.

Here's an interesting site on it.....no idea about their real research and studies...

https://humaworm.com/deworming.html

foggybok
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:57 PM
I just worm the dog regularly- heartworm preventative pills take care of most things.

true, but I don't have control over many of the dogs I handle....

Tamara in TN
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:04 PM
A friend of mine was saying that she de-worms herself once a year because of all that she comes in contact with in her daily farm life (poop of all species, dirt, trough water, etc). I had never really thought about it and I'm curious if anyone else has done it or if you feel it is necessary. TIA.

every fall...tastes like nanners ;) ask me how I know!!

Tamara

Melelio
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:13 PM

Tamara

So, how do you know? (you said to ask :lol: )

foggybok
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:43 PM

Tamara

You must be using Strongid.. :)

CobJockey
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:44 PM
Many, many people with kids have had to deal with pinworms. That "deworming" consists of regular doses of dewormer (the human kind) over two weeks, washing every single piece of bedding (including comforters) and clothing on hot multiple times, and trying not to sit anywhere. They are incredibly difficult to get rid of.

BEARCAT
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:10 PM
Reminds me of a story I heard on NPR, but the opposite. People ingesting worms to treat themselves:
http://www.npr.org/2010/12/02/131753267/eat-your-worms-the-upside-of-parasites

danceronice
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
i have always wished for tapeworms as a quick weight loss scheme...

They used to sell tapeworm cysts to swallow for exactly that purpose...and honestly, if I weren't more worried about intestinal blockages and perforation the idea would be pretty tempting. And my high-school biology teacher did say, if you HAVE to get a parasite, tapeworms are the way to go (IOW pretty unlikely to be fatal.)

LulaBell
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:26 PM
Absolutely. But not with horse de-wormers. I've become very close friends with Albendazole, Ciprofloxain, Tinidazole...

If you suspect you might have something, rather than a FEC, I suggest a stool sample at the local lab. They can tell you if/what you have, and your doc can prescribe you something like the above that is targeted for parasites/worms in us lovely humans.

But I've certainly had bute (ack!) before. And in a pinch, certainly would entertain the idea of deworming myself...

hoopoe
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:41 PM
internal parasites for humans are, for the most part, specific to humans, the childhood pinworm is a human pinworm, not from horses.

dog cat and raccoon ascarids, some tapeworm from dogs ( echinococcus, very rare in the USA,) and hookworm can parasitise people, Other parasites such as hookworm, can get in but migrate under the skin, not finding the host suitable.

Most herbal dewormers are simply purgatives.

Humans do take the same active ingredients as we use in animals.

But get worms from your horses no.

and ringworm, since someone mentioned it, is a fungus and not a worm, It is ubiquitous in the environment.

anuphillbattle
Mar. 31, 2011, 01:35 AM
Interestingly, I recently heard that whip worms have been sucessfully used in treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. But I don't know about others. It would seem reasonable that people could have worms.

Trinity3205
Mar. 31, 2011, 01:49 AM
LOL My friend and I were contemplating the other day about how we could sell tapeworm pills to loose weight. You take one pill and wait for a month. Then at the end of the month, deworm yourself so it doesnt get too big...rinse and repeate as many months as it takes!

It could work! ROFL...

BoysNightOut
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
Not on purpose. Did end up eating some Equimax once though when a boarder's horse protested too much, and it flung onto my mouth. I have to say, it really does taste like apple. :lol:

Heliodoro
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:09 AM
LOL My friend and I were contemplating the other day about how we could sell tapeworm pills to loose weight. You take one pill and wait for a month. Then at the end of the month, deworm yourself so it doesnt get too big...rinse and repeate as many months as it takes!

Jockeys used to actually ingest tapeworms to make weight back in the day ala Seabiscuit. Yes you lose weight, but your vitamin/mineral levels will be seriously screwed. Plus, how would you know you killed the entire worm!?! eeeww!

carolprudm
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:16 PM
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/monsters-inside-me/

RacetrackReject
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:35 PM
You just had to go there Carol....

JSwan
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:51 PM

I love that show.

But don't ever want to be featured on it. :D

I remember seeing a bottle of tapeworm cysts; packaged as a diet aid. Had a sketch of a Victorian woman on the label.

Foxtrot's
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:21 PM
When my kids were in school someone came home with an itchy bottom. We all got dosed, along with massive bed-sheet and clothing laundering. Cleared them up pronto......then there was the headlice incident.

Living in Africa, worms were a part of life. Poor little kids with their distended tummies...my Mum was quite used to dosing them.

exie4me
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:38 PM
I know two people who passed a worm after spilling injectable Ivermection on themselves:eek:

bluemooncowgirl
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:38 PM
Does a good long drink from the hose in the washpit count?? If so, only in the summer, and only when there was no other alternative.

piccolittle
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:47 PM
Ok, I should probably confess that my friend is self-proclaimed "hippy dippy" and is into herbal treatments. This is an herbal de-wormer that she uses. Anyway, she spoke about it like it was quite common, so I thought I would ask around about it.

That could be Humaworm. It's a human-specific herbal dewormer. I tried it a couple of summers ago and my parents were freaking out, but frankly I think it only makes sense and can't hurt. Animals of all species have parasites, what makes us think we are any different? Planning on trying another round this summer.

DownYonder
Apr. 1, 2011, 01:41 PM
I know several people who have used a Sputnik. One of them swears his gastro tract was in MUCH better shape afterwards, and the other one said her long-standing skin condition and allergies started clearing up within days.

http://www.pekana.co.uk/parasiteremedies/

Obi
Apr. 1, 2011, 04:05 PM
Lyme bacteria is present in horse's urine. I NEVER walk barefoot in the barn.

AllyandPete
Apr. 3, 2011, 12:38 PM

I hate you for posting this and I hate myself for clicking on it. :no:

CatOnLap
Apr. 3, 2011, 01:53 PM
this topic went from mildly funny to wildly oogy in about 3 posts!
I never walk barefoot except in my own home!

Foxtrot's
Apr. 3, 2011, 06:00 PM
Just what COTH'ers love - this could go on for pages.

HydroPHILE
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:17 AM
food-grade Diatomaceous Earth - I've heard of lots of folks eating this themselves. We use it on our dogs.

As for tapeworms and weight loss.....

Look up "1,000 Ways to Die: Die It"

Tiki
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:07 AM
Species specific or not, you CAN get visceral larva migrans as foggybok said in post 11 on page 1. Larva of non-human species crawling all over your body under the skin just doesn't do it for me. :no::(:cry: Where's the puke icon when you need it most??

Mozart
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just sat down to peruse CotH and eat lunch. Lovely.

Sonesta
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:45 PM
Never treated myself, but....after spendig 9 weeks on a small isolated island in the Carribbean in the early 90s, my doc did give me a wormer just to be sure!