PDA

View Full Version : Peoples experiences with scribing

evntr5218
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:57 AM
I used to event and ride quite a bit but the past 6 or 7 years I havnt really done much at all and miss the showing etc. I also work in the racing industry so even though Im still involved in horses I miss the showing etc. Where I dont have a horse Ive thought about volunteering and wanted to hear about peoples experienced with scribing. Ive never done it before but think i would like to try it.
Any thots and suggestions? Do you enjoy it?
Also have never posted on here before so nice meeting all of you :)
Thanks in advance for all your feedback.

scubed
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:00 AM
I really enjoy scribing. I find it helps me understand what the judge is looking for and improves my riding.

It helps if you have decent handwriting and are comfortable writing fairly quickly.

It is good to be organized and have a system

Most judges are great and very helpful if you are new, but make sure the volunteer coordinator knows you don't have a lot of experience so they can pair you with a judge most likely to be ok with any slowness or a need to ask more questions

Have fun!

evntr5218
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:05 AM
thanks for the info.
read a couple articles (when in doubt google) and they said that strating out you should do lower level tests and since I will be volunteering at Spring Bay I dont think ill be doing any Grand Prix tests so It will be a good opportunity to get my feet wet and see if its something i would like to do :cool:

shea'smom
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:09 AM
I love it. I have been able to scribe for the Advanced at Southern Pines a few times. Very cool. The judges are always very nice.

CookiePony
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
Good for you for volunteering! Scribing is a plum job-- you will learn so much. The first few tests are the hardest, as you are still getting into the rhythm. But once you have a system down it is fine.

gold2012
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:13 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE scribbing, and have met the most amazing people doing so. I love hearing what the judge says, the things we write down, and the things, lol, we don't. My first time I scribed with Wayne Quarles in OP at KHP...he is amazingly fun to scribe with, and I learned a ton. DEFINETLY do it if you can, it can be really hard to get a job doing it though...Good Luck and let us know if it happens.

Lori B
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:42 AM
I learned a ton the one time I did it, but my hand ACHED by the end of the day. Made me wish I could have been typing the score sheets! Very enjoyable and educational overall.

retreadeventer
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
I LOFF to scribe!
As far as preparation goes, take a look at the time schedule, check all of the dressage tests for the day you are working. Read them over and print out your own copies ahead of time.

You don't have to mess much with the collective marks at the bottom but you should know the order of the movements so you can keep up.

You can't really watch the horse, the judge has to be your priority; sometimes I get muddled when I am trying to see what the judge sees and miss getting the numbers down in order she is saying them.

I try not to chat or respond to what the judge is saying, which is hard, sometimes, since one wants to be conversational. I have found judges, with one or two exceptions, will want to make sure you have a good experience and will help you as much as they can to keep up or abbreviate clearly. If you scribe a lot sooner or later you will run into the old school stick-up-her-butt judge who will scold you and act all royal and imperial, but I doubt that will happen at an event, especially the event you mentioned -- those folks are all right! Do not be afraid to tell them it's your first time! :)

Napoles
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have regularly done it for my mum who is an FEI eventing judge and have also had the chance to write for some top judges. I like doing it - it's interesting and you learn a lot.

Main thing to remember is to make sure to keep your place on the sheet and don't get muddled. Make extra sure that the number on the rider's back matches the name and number that you enter on the sheet and also make sure to get judge to sign the bottom of the sheet.

Judge also has to initial any corrections on the sheet e.g. you misheard and wrote a 6, which you then corrected. He/she has to put their initials beside this correction.

Napoles
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:09 AM
I I try not to chat or respond to what the judge is saying, which is hard, sometimes, since one wants to be conversational. )

Oh yes, this is another one. I know of writers who tried to argue with the marks a judge gave "Ooh really, god I wouldn't have thought that was an 8". They weren't very popular. If in doubt keep your mouth shut and concentrate! :lol:

ETA: obviously wasn't suggesting that retreadeventer would have done that - just remembered the funny story that's all! :)

evntr5218
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
great now im excited. cant wait to hear back from them.
i did tell them from the get go that i was a newbie as far as scribing goes but after talking to some friends and my mom who have all scribed before i am excited.
will be such a welcome change from the tb world!!!

pony grandma
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:35 AM
Add: don't write anything that the judge does not say, don't change the wording. And the judge may say some things that don't get written also.

Let the judge lead the conversational tone. No life stories. Some judges will not want conversation and need to concentrate, some will be a bit more chatty.

Bring a red pen for errors - that will impress ;) and if an error occurs do ask the judge the first time how to mark it. They will provide you with extra!! pencils and that red pen in your kit.

If you goggle scribing there is a link to the dressage scribing abbreviations. Don't panic you won't need to memorize all of them but familiarize yourself with a few of the common comments. Judges often repeat a same comment and once you write it you can abbreviate on the score sheet when it gets repeated. Do write it out the first time to help the rider.

If the judge misses giving you a score when a movement is done - if the next movement allows you enough time quickly ask need score for ex: canter circle, if no score or comment is given and it's moving too fast leave blank and judge often fills them in later since they can remember the ride.

Also the point about checking for the rider's #. Very important - ask the rider # please when they pass the booth before their ride if you can't see it. A good competitor will tell you the number first off. Also fill in the horse color, a description at the top of the page that will help if there is a discrepancy. I once had to write 'another plain bay' :D we had like 5 in a row.

Don't load yourself up with coffee! You will get potty breaks, but they are timed in the schedule.

The best judging comment I liked when scribing was not 'no bend' it was 'show me the bend.' Exactly the point, for the rider - show the judge that you understand the question being asked with the movement. Judges do vary. enjoy and have a great experience!

FlightCheck
Mar. 30, 2011, 12:29 PM
welcome back to eventing!

You will have a wonderful time at Spring Bay - come introduce yourself, I'll be announcing :)

Festivity
Mar. 30, 2011, 12:39 PM
I have had great fun both scribing and jump judging. I learn a lot from both and they let me get a little bit of my eventing fix when I can't compete. Definitely ask questions before things get started and have fun.

evntr5218
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
these responses are great. its exactly what i miss about eventing.
i def will not be one to give the judge my opinion. when i asked about volunteering i was told there were slots open for scribes and ring stewards. i told her the ring steward would prob not be a good fit for me because im not good at being forceful and telling people what to do lol. ill be great at sitting there and taking direction lol :cool:

Aussie08
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:10 PM
You will enjoy scribing, as all the previous posts have mentioned and their suggestions are right on. I have one other that I have found helpful.

Before the first ride, as the judge how they prefer to call the test...as in, comment first or score first. That will help you keep on track. And don't be surprised if they miss something every once in a while. They are human, too.

I've also found that if they start talking too fast, if you can only get part of the comment, you can go back at the end and finish it or ask for them to repeat the comment....if you have at least part of it, they have a reference.

And most of them are really nice and helpful and appreciate you being there.

Good luck and have fun.

magnolia73
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
I enjoy scribing. It helps to be an excellent note taker with good penmanship. I have found that you don't get to see much of the tests that are umm... bad.... but most don't have a lot of comments on the good ones so you get to see what a 9 "lovely" halt looks like but not so much the 4 "tense an inverted don't hang on his mouth".

RacetrackReject
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
I try not to scribe because I have some hearing issues, but I have done it a time or 2 at schooling shows with a judge I've known for years. I think it's great fun and I really wish I could trust my hearing to do it more often.

Funny story- At one show, the judge and I were chatting between classes about some of the horses we could see in warmup (never anything negative). I made a comment that I hoped the "little girl on the Paint horse was in the next class". The judge asked why and I told her because I thought he was fabulous and his little rider was such a quiet rider. The judge then said that this pair was riding HC and would be riding at the end of the next division. I said that I wondered why they were riding HC and the judge gave me a wide smile and said "because she's my student and that little Paint IS fabulous. Can you believe he was a barrel racer when I found him just a few weeks ago?".

evntr5218
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
sorry for asking perhaps a "duh" question but what is HC?

scubed
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:28 PM
Riding HC (hor concours) means you are not competing. You will still pay an entry fee, receive a number and be judged by the judge. However you will not be considered for placings. At a dressage competition, you will receive a score card and mark from the judge, but not be eligible to win any awards.
This usually happens because you are not eligible for the class either because of conflict of interest (as in this case, judges aren't allowed to judge their own students nor horses they own) or because due to time conflicts or something, you are riding in a class for which you are not actually eligible (an Advanced level rider in a Novice Rider class for example)

evntr5218
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:32 PM
gotcha thanks!

evntr5218
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:02 PM
so i had a lot of fun scribing. pretty cool to get a first hand perspective from the judge on what they are looking for. gave me a whole new perspective on all the tests that i used to complain about after showing.

mandalea
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:44 AM
I looooove penciling. I'm doing the 1* at Silver Hills week after next and I cant wait :D And my instructor is the judge as well ;) Will be doing Christan's test, so finally get to see her and Spike ride out here, and boss's horse has just moved up to 1*, but he's for sale, so she's not riding, her friend is.

evntr5218
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:49 AM
good luck at your 1*!!!! :)