PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Summer Festival

Treasmare2
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:59 AM
I am thinking of going to a few weeks of this series. What can people tell me about it? Is it a friendly kind of show and is it good competition? I have a horse I can show in the high performance hunters and ammie owner(older)....are they well filled divisions? Or am I best to take my pre green hunter and cross enter to the really old adults? Any info on this show would be helpful.

MHM
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:07 AM
It's a nice series. The town is cute, and there are lots of good restaurants and shops in the village, so there are things to do after the show.

The numbers are usually lightest the first and last weeks. They put up about 14 tents of stalls, but they're not all full the whole time. (And tent 14 is pretty far from the ring, so bring your bike or golf cart, just in case.)

I would expect the amateur divisions to fill, even if they're not huge every week. High performance is harder to predict, since it's a new division. There are usually plenty of adult hunters. If you want the most competition, shoot for the middle weeks.

Good luck! :)

supershorty628
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:47 AM
Vermont is great. It's a really nice show, run pretty well, and pretty competitive. I haven't done the hunters there for a few years, but I don't think the 3'6'' ever had trouble filling (they were never huge, but not tiny). We go every year for the first 2 weeks and love it.

MoonLadyIsis
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:02 AM
VSF is a great show. The best part is that there is plenty to do if you get rained out!

The only complaint I have about it is that if it rains and you're stabled in the tents closest to the roads, the stalls/tents will FLOOD! :eek:

NYCGIRL
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:42 PM
I am not a fan of that horse show I went for many many years but I have stopped going. The footing SUCKS!!!! It is either 100 degrees or pouring rain. Also, depending on your definition of competition its not so great in the hunters. I will once in a while bring a baby green but that's it. I think lake placid is a way better show and way more to do there then vt.

supershorty628
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:55 PM
Lake Placid also costs about 3x as much as Vermont ;)

Never had a problem with the footing, personally; even when it rains, it doesn't get slippery.

NYCGIRL
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:02 PM
There are two options with the footing in VT hard as rock or mud! That is just how I feel about it plenty of people love it. I just think compared to WEF, Kentucky, lake placid etc there are just other better places to show so I just save my horses just me though. If I was going to go I would prob go 1st two weeks before the footing falls apart.

MoonLadyIsis
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:06 PM
somewhere between 2006 and 2009 (when we went last) they either redid the footing or got a different drag. In used to get hard as concrete if it rained and then dried super fast. However, in 09, it was AMAZING. They kept it really well watered and dragged and even after the downpour of the day and night before, while the footing was wet, it wasn't slick or obnoxious. Lake Placid (to me) was not worth the money spent (especially when it rains and you have to show on SLOP for grass)

heartinrye
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:26 PM
I like VT, have been going for a few years now, but I get pretty bored when I'm there for more than one week.

The horse show is great, and most everyone is friendly, and if you're in the font two rows you can pretty much walk everywhere. But the food is hit or miss, and somedays I just want a hamburger for lunch, which you can NOT get (Except for the rare time when it's a 'special'), and the mexican food (all the food is run by David's) is not yummy.

While there is stuff to do on Mondays and Tuesdays, shopping can get old pretty quickly, as can the limited number of nice restaurants, and the closest movie theater (other than the 2-plex in town) is 45 mins away. But if you have never been to VT you can go to burlington, shelburne, the Teddy Bear factory etc (none of which are close, btw).

ponymom64
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:29 PM
somewhere between 2006 and 2009 (when we went last) they either redid the footing or got a different drag. In used to get hard as concrete if it rained and then dried super fast. However, in 09, it was AMAZING. They kept it really well watered and dragged and even after the downpour of the day and night before, while the footing was wet, it wasn't slick or obnoxious. Lake Placid (to me) was not worth the money spent (especially when it rains and you have to show on SLOP for grass)

The footing in '09 was wonderful - last year, I heard that it was very hard the first two weeks but by the time we got there (towards the end of the circuit) it was much better. I will say it was hard when we arrived on Monday when it was only being rolled but after they started dragging on Tuesday, it improved considerably.

It doesn't get slippery when wet, either, which is good since it does rain fairly frequently. It is one of my favorite shows, regardless of the weather, I've had some good times there! It has a little bit more personal feel to it than HITS

REH
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:33 PM
I really like the people who run it--it's a very friendly series, but I agree with whomever said the footing is sub-optimal. I found it unrideable when I was there during heavy rains. I opted not to go back because of the unreliability of the footing. It's either hardish or swampish--when the rain comes in there, it really comes, and it doesn't drain well. But the area is lovely, people are friendly and it was a nice time all around, just didn't love the footing.

Treasmare2
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments...we are looking at week 2 and 3 and have never been so I expect down time won't be too boring this time. We hope it will be a bit of a vacation as well as an opportunity to show. It is a long haul for us but sounds like it will be worth giving it a try.:yes: Lake Placid was indeed a first choice but some of the kids to go will be in exams so there would be lots of arrangements for early exams etc. With Vermont we have more options re timing and it fits in terms of my vacation request. I think we have just pretty much decided to make the trip and we have one of the women looking at accomadations.

ponymom64
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the comments...we are looking at week 2 and 3 and have never been so I expect down time won't be too boring this time. We hope it will be a bit of a vacation as well as an opportunity to show. It is a long haul for us but sounds like it will be worth giving it a try.:yes: Lake Placid was indeed a first choice but some of the kids to go will be in exams so there would be lots of arrangements for early exams etc. With Vermont we have more options re timing and it fits in terms of my vacation request. I think we have just pretty much decided to make the trip and we have one of the women looking at accomadations.

I'm sure you'll have a nice time!

supershorty628
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:09 PM
The footing in '09 was wonderful - last year, I heard that it was very hard the first two weeks but by the time we got there (towards the end of the circuit) it was much better.

I was there the first 2 weeks and the footing was fine :).

MHM
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:13 PM
If you're doing two weeks, you might want to look into renting a house instead of staying at a hotel. You'd have more room, and you'd save money by eating in some of the time.

Hope you have a great time there!

Treasmare2
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:32 AM
MHM that sounds like a good plan...we are numbered in five riders(perhaps a couple more) and about three mothers so will need a big house but it would save money I am sure. Thanks for the tip.

supershorty628
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:51 AM
OP, you said you were looking at weeks 2 and 3? I'll be there week 2...would love to meet another COTHer (if that doesn't sound creepy) :)

Lucassb
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:54 AM
VT is one of my favorite shows and one of the few that I think can "double" as a bit of a vacation. My non-riding DH enjoys it as well, and brings his bike up so he can enjoy a bit of cycling while I ride, and there is plenty to do after the show - it's a resort area, after all, so there are plenty of nice restaurants (and I personally love the outlet shopping, LOL.)

You won't find nicer show staff anywhere and the grounds - with the mountains in the background - are really nice as well. Yes, it does rain sometimes and like any show grounds, it gets muddy when that happens. Unlike a lot of other places, though, they seem to have figured out how to manage the footing in that circumstance, as Ponymom mentioned.