PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Toulouse saddles?

Candle
Mar. 30, 2011, 12:52 AM
I've got an opportunity to pick up a Toulouse saddle (a couple of options on the model, actually) for a great price, and am wondering if anyone can compare it to another type of saddle that I may have ridden in. My overall hands-down fave (not with this horse, however) is Antares, but the curved rocker/banana type panels are not fitting him well at all. I've been riding him all winter in a Neidersuss Symphonie (dressage saddle), and have been really badly wanting to get him jumping again, hence the saddle search. I'm 5'11 with a 33" inseam, and ride fairly short with my stirrups. Any recommendations, advice, thoughts? Do they hold up well? I'd be happy if it lasted another year while I'm getting his dressage work and topline improved, then I'm happy buying another saddle. I'm not looking for it to last the next 10 years, but I hate the feeling of crappy leather that won't break in.

Atypical
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:13 AM
I can't comment on fit, either for you or your horse, but a friend of mine has one and I must say, it's super comfy to ride in. She events and has used the saddle in water elements and in rain and it looks to be holding up really well.

alto
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:49 AM
It's pretty hard to beat the prices that Classic Saddlery offers on their clearance Toulouse & Pariani (not the Italian saddles of yore but Argentinian saddles made in the same factory as Toulouse) saddles - they still have a good selection of trees, seats & flap lengths available ... enquire about warranty in this instance; I'd definitely only buy this saddle from a tack shop that is going to stand up for me.

jay0087
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:34 AM
I was looking at the Marcel Toulouse Annice Saddle with Genesis Tree and really liked how it felt when I sat in it. But the flat was too long for me and it does not come in a short flap. Alot of the saddles I tried had flaps too long for my leg.

mrsbradbury
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:03 AM
I have not ridden in all the models,but have touched and sat in several at the store. I think overall they are a nice midline product. I have a client with one that is comfortable, fits horses well and balances her and I well. For comparison she is 5'7"/ 145ish, and I am 5'2" 110ish, and we are both in a good place in her saddle.

To add to above poster, I would not recommend the Pariani, my asistant brought one in to try, thought it would work great but the balance was all over the place for her. Too bad, I liked the saddle on the plastic horse.

Reagan
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:43 AM
I have an Annice that I am selling. I got it as a temporary saddle for my mare as I needed a wide tree but couldn't afford something nicer at the time. It is an okay saddle. I was never really comfortable in it. I think you will have issues with the saddle fitting your leg. Even with a long flap my knee was still over the knee roll, and I'm only 5'9''.

The top leather is really soft, but the leather under it (on the underside of the flap) is like plastic, it will not absorb oil at all. Therefore, the flaps don't really get soft like you would expect. But, go sit in them, you won't know until you try it out for yourself! I think they are a decent saddle for the price.

xxreddxheaddxx
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:06 PM
great saddle for what you pay for it! [edit]