PDA

View Full Version : Show Coat Question for Hunters

amyginger
Mar. 30, 2011, 12:05 AM
I was shopping for a dressage coat at my local tack shop today and tried on the Gersemi Idun. Looked and fit fab, but it was about twice the price of the ROMFH jacket that I also liked. I have a young horse that I plan to show both dressage and hunters - although mostly schooling and local unrated shows. I could justify the price if I could wear the same jacket for both show rings. . . What do think, is this too modern for the hunter ring?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

http://www.discount-equestrian.co.uk/catalog/product/gallery/id/1232/image/3265

http://www.discount-equestrian.co.uk/catalog/product/gallery/id/1232/image/3266

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:16 AM
I know someone who wears something very similar in the jumpers and in unrated hunters.

I love Gersemi stuff. They make gorgeous clothes.

SidesaddleRider
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:08 AM
I like it, and think it will be fine for unrated hunters -- except for the buttons. Very loud in that white/silver color. But no worries! Just get some black electrical tape, and tape over the buttons if you are using it in the hunter ring. The tape will stay on, be unnoticeable, and is also easily removed afterward. ;)

MyGiantPony
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:08 AM
I like it, and think it will be fine for unrated hunters -- except for the buttons. Very loud in that white/silver color. But no worries! Just get some black electrical tape, and tape over the buttons if you are using it in the hunter ring. The tape will stay on, be unnoticeable, and is also easily removed afterward. ;)

Or just buy some button covers. snap on/snap off!

Fashion Police
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hmm. I'm not an authority on dressage attire, but I've been lead to believe that at the lower levels, a hunt coat is perfectly appropriate.
The coat above looks like it would be fine in the jumpers, but the lapels, pockets and buttons put it out of the running for passing as appropriate (or traditional) attire for the hunter ring.
Instead of trying to pass off a not particularly attractive jumper coat as either a dressage coat or a hunter coat, I would buy a nice hunt coat that would be appropriate for both dressage and hunter rings.

SidesaddleRider
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
The coat above looks like it would be fine in the jumpers, but the lapels, pockets and buttons put it out of the running for passing as appropriate (or traditional) attire for the hunter ring.

I have seen several top female professionals in the hunter ring wearing jackets very similar to these at several winter rated shows. From a distance (and minus the bright buttons) you can't tell at all that they aren't a traditional hunt coat.

findeight
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:21 AM
I really disagree that this coat would be "inappropriate" at a schooling show in the lower level Hunters.

WEF or Indoors? yeah. Not the more entry level schooling, non rated local shows. You'll see all sorts of things there-including Moms work blazer depending on the level. Some areas are a bit more formal then others but nobody would stand out that much in well fitted, high quailty, clean Dressage coat.

Just cover the buttons and wear it with pride.

SillyHorse
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hmm. I'm not an authority on dressage attire, but I've been lead to believe that at the lower levels, a hunt coat is perfectly appropriate.
A hunt coat is appropriate for any level dressage, including FEI, as long as it is of an allowed color. However, the four-button style, the major differentiator, works better with a stock tie.

Fashion Police
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:48 PM
I have seen several top female professionals in the hunter ring wearing jackets very similar to these at several winter rated shows. From a distance (and minus the bright buttons) you can't tell at all that they aren't a traditional hunt coat.

Well maybe I need new glasses. Of whom do you speak, and at what shows?

Fashion Police
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:56 PM
I really disagree that this coat would be "inappropriate" at a schooling show in the lower level Hunters.

WEF or Indoors? yeah. Not the more entry level schooling, non rated local shows. You'll see all sorts of things there-including Moms work blazer depending on the level. Some areas are a bit more formal then others but nobody would stand out that much in well fitted, high quailty, clean Dressage coat.

Just cover the buttons and wear it with pride.

I suppose she could probably get away with pretty much anything at an entry level, local, schooling show. But if someone wants to buy a jacket that would be appropriate for dressage and hunters, this would, to me, be a good example of a coat that isn't really appropriate for either. JMHO.

findeight
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:07 PM

I've seen them in the Jumpers at WEF and there is a good chance a rider doing both rings might wear that in a schooling Hunter class during the week. I doubt you'd see it in a weekend class, Classic or big stake class...but early in the week, you just might.

OP should buy what she thinks she will get the most use out of and feel best in. especially since she will be doing both and it would be some kind of low level hunter at schooling shows. You know, how could you even tell from further then 50 feet if she covers the buttons??

Hunter Mom
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
I can't say that, at least in our area, this coat would be like any others seen in the "local, unrated" shows. Pretty much everyone wears regular hunt coats. Of course, that isn’t saying that it looks that different (minus the buttons which are an easy fix) than any other jackets from a distance.

SidesaddleRider
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:17 PM

I don't remember who. It was at Keswick last show year and the Barracks this show year. If you look at the pictures from the shows you may be able to spot who it was, I don't have time to go back and look through them. I just remember doing a double-take when I saw them close-up off their horses, as they weren't noticeable when they were in the ring.

cabby773
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
The Gersemi coats are really popular for jumpers. Tons of people were wearing them at WEF in the jumpers and a few in the hunters, so I think you would be trendy and not out of style at all. The stretch-fabric hunt coats are replacing the non-stretch coats, even in the hunters.

Laguna 007
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:31 PM
I have that coat and wear it in the A/O hunters. The buttons are actually held on by a little key ring type thing (hard to explain) so they can easily be removed when you throw it in the washing machine (yes!!! It is machine washable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I just went to a local fabric store and got some solid black buttons to replace the silver ones with and it looks great! I love the stretch fabric and hope to eventually replace all of my coats with stretchy ones!

Here are some pics of it: (sorry for the non-Facebook crowd, I don't know how to post pics)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=1494634322860&set=a.1478201832058.2069324.1144110076&theater

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=1478205432148&set=a.1478201832058.2069324.1144110076&theater
(Im on the far left)

gottagrey
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:46 PM
The links are from a tack shop in the UK - so is OP in the UK or in US? as what might fly in the UK could be different from what flies in the US and visa versa.

Go Fish
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:48 PM
I don't care what it costs, that coat looks cheap. The fabric is not heavy enough for it to hang properly and the seams are puckered everywhere (again, could be the fabric).

It's also cheaper to place zippers in pockets/seams rather than install a flap or jetted pocket and/or button holes. Is this coat lined?

Belair
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:26 PM
I have that coat and wear it in the A/O hunters. The buttons are actually held on by a little key ring type thing (hard to explain) so they can easily be removed when you throw it in the washing machine (yes!!! It is machine washable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I just went to a local fabric store and got some solid black buttons to replace the silver ones with and it looks great! I love the stretch fabric and hope to eventually replace all of my coats with stretchy ones!

Here are some pics of it: (sorry for the non-Facebook crowd, I don't know how to post pics)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=1494634322860&set=a.1478201832058.2069324.1144110076&theater

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=1478205432148&set=a.1478201832058.2069324.1144110076&theater
(Im on the far left)

Please check your privacy settings. Can't see!

Wizard of Oz's
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:14 PM
Looks to untraditional to me to show in the hunter ring. Also, I didn't see the price but it seemed like a pricey coat. IMO, why buy a pricey coat if you're just going to put tape over the buttons?? You might as well just buy two cheaper, but more traditional coats, one for each ring.

Laguna 007
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:03 PM
Please check your privacy settings. Can't see!

Oops sorry!!! Does it work now???

Belair
Apr. 1, 2011, 12:22 PM
Oops sorry!!! Does it work now???

Yep. Thank you :)

amyginger
Apr. 2, 2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've opted for the more traditional ROMFH for dressage shows this summer. It's also a washable tech fabric with the stretch that's so comfortable and about half the cost of the Gersemi, which I think I coveted because it just fits like a glove and super figure-flattering. The turnout at the hunter schooling shows I plan to attend is so casual I can get by with polo or show shirt and splurge on a proper hunt coat next season. It gets spendy to show in multiple disciplines!

P.S. Laguna 007, your Gersemi looks gorgeous on you, thanks for sharing pics!