PDA

View Full Version : Time for another Luna poll: Would you buy an in-utero foal?

LunaTheGreyMare
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:35 PM
Would you be ready to drop between $3-5k on an in-utero foal?
Why or why not?

hntrjmprpro45
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:08 PM
Yes but there would be several requirements. I would want to see what that cross has already produced (full siblings). The breeder would have to have a good reputation and a good contract. I would also prefer that the foal has been fetal-sexed (know the gender).

CHT
Mar. 29, 2011, 11:15 PM
I would not.

I do not know enough about bloodlines to take that kind of risk...and I would likely rather spend a little more and know it was a colour I liked and had straight legs and such.

fourmares
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:52 AM
I have three fillies who are full sisters. Knowing how different they are I would not... too much like gambling.

jenm
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:20 AM
Not a chance, even if I did have an understanding of the bloodlines, etc. It's way too risky and there are no guarantees no matter how good the bloodlines.

supershorty628
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:50 AM
Agreed with fourmares and jenm - no way.

alliekat
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
I would, but have to say that 3-5 K is not that expensive for an in utero foal. Depending on the breeding of course. We have sold them also. Buying in-utero can give you the opportunity to purchase a foal that you might not have a chance to buy once it hits the ground. Of course there is added risk, so you have to weigh that out against the added benefits. I would also only buy one with a filly only option as I would be looking for something that could become part of our broodmare band later down the road. I agree finding a breeder with a good contract and reputation is imparitive.

danceronice
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:13 AM
Only with a whole lot of insurance, money-back guarantees, and it would have to be from bloodlines that were EXTREMELY valuable.

Lucassb
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
No way. Even the very nicest horses can produce something "not so great" from time to time. And horse with lovely breeding but a crooked leg or something is totally useless to me.

I buy my horses as individuals; I don't need them to be perfectly made up but I want to "meet" them, assess their temperament, way of going and get a feel for what they are going to become.

RyuEquestrian
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:51 AM
I think $3-$5,000 is a steal!

The top quality in-utero options that I have seen usually go for $6,000-$10,000.

We have purchased (and sold) in-uteros as well as custom foal options in past with great success. It allowed us the quality that we sought and couldn't afford at that time. It also allowed us the option of paying over time. It took a lot of research into what the stallion had produced, what the time had produced as well as what offspring came from similar breedings, but all in all we found it to fulfill what we are were looking to accomplish.

We have found that the clients that purchase from us in-utero know exactly what they want as far as quality and bloodlines and are very goal orientated as far as what they plan on doing with their future mount. It seems to have been a great option for those clients.

I would however stress that a well written contract is a must!

One of our foundation mares, purchased in-utero as a filly option (http://sakurahillfarm.com/horses.php?HOID=48).

White Lie
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:04 AM
I would - to me it is not much different then breeding it yourself. Almost like a breeding lease on someone elses broodmare that you leave at their farm, for them to take care of. If you like the broodmare and like the stallion (sometimes if you are quick enough you can even custom order and choose your own). At the end of the day, you get to walk away with only your foal. Actually the more I think about it the better it sounds.

Although on the other hand paying more for EXACTLY what you want doesn't actually sound that bad to me either (ie. buying at 2, ready to start as you want, that way you save a couple of years of "all costs", and you do infact get to "see" what you will get.
Better yet, wait until it is 4 and you get to ride it before you buy.... Ah I guess it is all in your motivations (and budget). LOL.

Backstage
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
Its not beyond the realm of possibility, but its relatively unlikely. There are about 3 proven broodmares that I know really well and adore. I'd be willing to purchase custom foals from those mares if the opportunity arose at the right time. But unless there was something spectacular about that particular pairing and it was the sort of opportunity that would not be available normally, I can't see taking that sort of risk. There are LOTS of nice youngsters on the ground that I can see and visit and assess. A few thousand dollars, if that, saved by buying in-utero doesn't make up for all the risks.