PDA

View Full Version : Need a new helmet - What should I get?

potterma
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:37 PM
Had a fall last week and got a concussion, I'm just fine but will definitely need to replace my Charles Owen GR8. I'm debating between getting another GR8, all black, or a black velvet GPA Titium. Is either one safer than the other? I don't want another concussion!

Lucassb
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:16 PM
All approved helmets have met the same required minimum standards for safety, meaning they have had acceptable results when subjected to the standardized testing required by the ASTM and SEI before they will certify a product.

That does not necessarily mean they are all equally protective, just that they are at least protective enough to pass the required tests. Unfortunately there really isn't a grading system that says helmet A meets the minimum, helmet B not only meets the minimum but is even better, and helmet C is the safest of them all.

In any case - remember that the fit of the helmet to your head also matters. If I buy the safest helmet out there, but it's two sizes too big and rocks around on my head - it isn't going to offer me the same protection as a properly fitting helmet that doesn't come right off if I hit the ground.

If you are down to choosing between two approved helmets, pick the one that fits you best.

STA
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:25 PM
You get a concussion from your brain hitting the inside of your skull. Approved helmets help avoid a more serious concussion or other injury, but no hat can prevent an injury.

akhunterrider
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:01 PM
I just replaced my GR8 with an AYR8. I loved the GR8, but it was the wrong size and eventually moved around way too much on my head. However, I love the AYR8 even more. It is extremely comfortable.

GPAs will always be my favorite looks wise, but they really don't fit my head. If a Charles Owen fits you well, chances are a GPA won't because they're shaped completely differently.

potterma
Mar. 29, 2011, 07:35 PM
I just replaced my GR8 with an AYR8. I loved the GR8, but it was the wrong size and eventually moved around way too much on my head. However, I love the AYR8 even more. It is extremely comfortable.

GPAs will always be my favorite looks wise, but they really don't fit my head. If a Charles Owen fits you well, chances are a GPA won't because they're shaped completely differently.

Ohhhh, thanks, good advice because I was planning to order one. But the GR8 fits me great, I was just thinking I wanted something different looks wise because the GR8 gives me an egg-head look, haha. Maybe I'll have to look into the AYR8.

Lucassb, thanks for the education, definitely good to know! I wish there was a way to know which ones protect THE BEST but I guess my CO did a good job since I'm still here :D

izzy 2
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
when i saw this i had to chip in and agree with akhunterrider-- i thought my GR8 fit me well until i tried on an AYR8. THe AYR8 fits like it is custom, even with my hair in it.

Also, I ordered a replacement GR8, and depending on how recently you got your old one I think the sizing could've changed. I reordered the size I was wearing, and it was way too big. Hence my helmet hunt and discovery of the wonderful AYR8

mrsbradbury
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:10 PM
I just replaced my Wellington PRO after a NASTY spill, and it fit me like glove. I used to have a GPA before that, that also fit well.

I would suggest that if you are considering a different style helmet that you go to store and touch them, put them on your head and make your decision in person rather than through the catalog.

You will be amazed at how different each helmet fits.

JTA: When reading info on the CO website regarding helmet standard certification, it was my interpretation that the standards in Europe differ, and may actually be a bit stiffer than the ASTM/ SEI certfications.

norcalammie
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
Depending on when you got the helmet you may be able to get a replacement at a discount. Contact Charles Owen and ask.

A lady at the barn had a fall and got a concussion. I suggested she call Charles Owen and she gets a replacement at a discounted price but has to send the old one back.

You might want to consider this as well.

mrsbradbury
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:45 PM
CO does still have their replacement discount. I did mine through the store I purchased it at. If the helmet is less that 2 years you get 50% off, over two years 20% off, and I think you are not eligible after 3 years? They did take my old helemt away as well.

KPHorses
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
In my opinion GPAs are the best! It saved my sisters life when her horse rolled over her in a horrific fall. The helmet cracked in half, but saved her head! But, it really depends on what fits your head the best, GPAs fit my head the best because I have a size 60 head. Charles Owen doesn't make helmets in the style I like that big.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:50 PM
I had to replace my helmet recently too. I decided go with a less expensive everyday helmet so I wouldn't be out as much money when I crash. :) That said, the helmet I did get is the same model that I took a VERY nasty spill in last fall and it really did it's job. It split up the back and I walked away.

doublesstable
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:50 PM
I love my GPA but like mrsbradbury says you really should go try some on.

Sorry about your spill... glad to hear you are doing well!

alteringwego
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
whatever fits!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:34 AM
Get what fits!

That said:
The velvet GPA is not the current in-thing at all. If you don't want to go for a speed air go with the charcoal titum instead of velvet from a style standpoint.

potterma
Mar. 31, 2011, 08:25 AM
Get what fits!

That said:
The velvet GPA is not the current in-thing at all. If you don't want to go for a speed air go with the charcoal titum instead of velvet from a style standpoint.

Thank you! That's kind of the answer I was looking for, haha. I got the GR8 quite awhile ago before it really hit big. Now I don't want to be behind the trends ;)

akhunterrider
Mar. 31, 2011, 12:29 PM
I had to replace my helmet recently too. I decided go with a less expensive everyday helmet so I wouldn't be out as much money when I crash. :) That said, the helmet I did get is the same model that I took a VERY nasty spill in last fall and it really did it's job. It split up the back and I walked away.

I did the exact same thing and couldn't be happier with my choice. I got a Tipperary Sportage for schooling and I love it. It makes me love it more since it's well ventilated. I want to keep my show helmet *nice* since I can't as easily afford to replace it.

Rel6
Apr. 2, 2011, 02:36 PM
Go with what fits you best!

Also, this sounds dumb but do you plan on changing your hairstyle anytime soon (assuming you're a girl!)

I had a nasty spill at HITS and had to replace my GPA. Went a size up becuase I couldn't fit my hair in the same size helmet (I had reallyyyy long hair.)

Three months later I chopped it up to my shoulder and by brand new helmet was way too loose. >_<

Just something to keep in mind :)

bjd2013
Apr. 2, 2011, 10:27 PM
The AYR8 is the most popular CO helmet at the moment in my opinion. But if you want to splurge I would go with maybe the
KEP:http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=8783
or maybe the Antares:http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=7550&cm_vc=Search
or Samsheild:http://www.doversaddlery.com/samshield-basic-helmet/p/X1-36317/cn/39/
There are so many helmet options out there, it really all comes down to what fits your head, and what you like.
Personally I do not care for the look of the GPA and the black velvet GPA is definitely not the "in thing", in the ring.

ToughEnough
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:18 AM
I've always had CO helmets because the GPAs never fit my head, like painfully didn't fit. BUT the GPA Air S fits beautifully :)

So if you're looking for something a little different than what you're used to, this one may be worth trying on.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36271B&ids=25168932

DNB
Apr. 3, 2011, 11:20 AM
I just replaced my Velvet Titium with the Black/Black Speed Air. The Titium was too hot in my opinion. The thing was like a heat box in the summer..The fit of the Speed Air is much like the GR8 from what I understand. I love, love, love the Speed Air. My vote is for that one. But get what you think is best :]

Rel6
Apr. 3, 2011, 05:00 PM
I personally think the Antares is uglyyyyy. I cannot see the appeal

potterma
Apr. 4, 2011, 02:51 PM
I agree about the Antares, not a fan. But I do like the look of the AYR8 so I think that'll be my next purchase. Thanks for all the advice! The GR8 fits me like a glove so I figure the AYR8 will do the same. Can't wait!

tidy rabbit
Apr. 4, 2011, 02:59 PM
GPA first lady is what I'd like to get next! It's a love it or hate type of thing, I loved the way it felt on. Love the extra sun shade! :)