PDA

View Full Version : Don't click... decided to delete my question, but I couldn't figure out how.

lovemedo
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the answers though.

KateWooten
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:25 PM
How many times have you ridden him ?

RAyers
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
There is no set checklist. In the end it comes down to your gut and heart. How do I know if a horse is right for me? If I stand there and think, "I would love to hop on him." and when I ride them I think, "yes."

My new guy, I liked him when I watched him and loved him when I rode him. I needed only one 1/2 hour ride to know. Of course it is not all rosey afterward and he is working me hard but he is the right horse for me.

From what you describe, it sounds like you are "just not that into the horse." I say continue on and be patient.

Reed

caffeinated
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:34 PM
A lot of this is subjective - what he did in the video may be no big deal to another rider, but a very big deal to someone with shaky confidence.

Add to that, plenty of very good, competent, and reliable horses have bad days/moments. So it could be indicative of a larger problem, but it could also be no big deal at all.

I think there's no way to really know if it's a problem or not without riding him for yourself. Just remember the power of expectations. If you ride him to jumps with the image of his stop in your head, chances are you will create a situation where he is more likely to stop ;)

Bogie
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:40 PM
It is very hard to tell from a video whether or not you will like a horse. So much depends on how the horse goes with you riding him.

I generally know when I sit on them if I like them enough to continue. Part of it is just feeling "right" which is very nebulous but I'm also checking for attitude, scope, movement and their reaction to how I ride.

Personally, since my goals are modest, I no longer travel more than an hour or so to look at a horse. Unless you have very specific requirements is there a reason why you are traveling 4 hours? There have been times in my life when I did travel that far, but to be honest, I never found those horses were that much better.

Are you working with a trainer now? It sounds like you didn't get great advice in the past but I've always found it helpful to have another set of eyes look at a horse to help me figure out if they are as good a match as I hope they will be and also to check for soundness issues.
Good luck

purplnurpl
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:07 PM
I see a red flag with:

get my confidence back and
a horse I will keep forever.

It is possible to find this in one horse---but I'm thinking if you are shaky now you might need a different horse than the horse you will need 1-3 years from now.

I would exit on a horse that "will sometimes stop" when the fence is only 3' and distance is perfect.
I'd try to find you a horse that will let you hang off of his ear and still jump the fence--no question. They are out there.

Find an old pro, a packer. But this horse will be older in age and not one for you to keep for the next 20 years.

It's too bad you can't find one to lease for a year to get you going again.

Stoney447
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:19 PM
I see a red flag with:

get my confidence back and
a horse I will keep forever.

I completely agree here.

The other thing that I can add is to make sure that you do a complete PPE on this horse if you really want to do the upper levels in jumping with him.

I have a mare (who is now a broodmare) who did the upper level jumpers but occasionally would start stopping if she was out of work for a few days. It then progressed to stopping at the beginning of every jumping session if she was not warmed up enough. That obviously was fishy to me, because I had seen and ridden her before this behaviour change and had the vet out to diagnose her with arthritis in her neck. She is now retired (at age 12).

It might be a pain/comfort/confidence thing if he really only does it when he is weak and out of work.

In my opinion, if an occasional stop is not in the cards for you, I would look elsewhere. He has already shown that under some circumstances he is going to stop, now you have to ascertain how often those circumstances are going to arise, and whether or not you can deal with them.

enjoytheride
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
I personally feel more confident if the owner says "never ever stops, point and shoot." then "he'll stop if you don't keep your leg on." Having ridden lots of stoppers it's something I panic over and I don't feel as confident. Now if the horse stops and nobody tells me I'd probably be fine!

If I looked at a horse ridden by a professional and it stopped I would pass. If I looked at a horse ridden by someone who can't really ride and it stopped then I'd have a pro ride it and let me know how bad the horse was screwed up, and if it would stop with a better rider.

Blugal
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:21 PM
100% agree with purplnurpl. You need a confidence-builder, a horse that will be fun and reliable (or reliable and therefore fun). Stopping in a sales video is unforgiveable in my book for the type of horse you are looking for.

It also sounds like you could use a good second set of eyes/opinion. Your trainers thus far just don't sound like good matches. See if you can get some recommendations for trainers, ask for references, look up their results & students' results, search this board for threads about them and see what people have to say.

lovemedo
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:26 PM
Well it wasn't a sales video... it was a video the leaser put up that I stumbled across from stalking youtube haha

scubed
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
If you do not have a trainer who can get on if a tune-up is ever needed and if your confidence isn't great, this could be a problem. I know many really lovely horses trained primarily by pros, who when ridden by an ammy and particularly a not very confident ammy, the "wheels fall off"

I would be much happier to see a horse that had a fair bit of experience with less experienced riders and if the spot was bad, sure stopped safely, but the whole ducking out of a good spot thing has the potential to become a pain in the butt (literally as it can be hard to stay on when they do that)

Also, given where you are in life, etc, will you be able to ride the horse consistently (which to me means 5-6 days most weeks) or have someone ride him if you can't. That may also factor in.

Good luck. I would also break this into two stages and think about buying (or possibly leasing) a horse to get your confidence back now and then once you are more confident, think about what you want for your lifetime horse.

Ltc4h
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'd pass-
Confidence is a hard thing to regain.
You need a horse that will go-Over, Under or Through never around.
Started by Grand prix rider-doesn't necessarily make him user friendly, usually just the opposite.

sometimes he can refuse, but if you show it to him he'll go right over itNot a training issue you need to figure out, not user friendly

"Only when he's not in consistent work."
Do you want a 7 day/week horse ?

she can't tell me much about how he jumps and what he's like at competitions.
Very good disclaimer on her part.

There is a reason he went from a Jumper to a Dressage barn.

sarah88
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:37 PM
Last year I bought a new horse..I was coming from a place of little confidence... He is not a fancy warmblood (though he is still very cute) but is a really reliable guy... I think we have had 1 stop in the year that I have had him (my fault and we were schooling..) Not having to worry about whether my horse will go or not has allowed me to make huge improvements in my riding... I still have to ride or he will stop, sure what horse won't...but buying one that wont help you out everyone in a while will do nothing to help you regain your confidence...And I agree dont go looking for a 'forever' horse...find something reliable, consistent. sound and safe that can help you regain lost confidence over the next few years...then go look for the one that is going to take you up the levels once you have been confirmed at the lower levels...

Jo
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:42 PM
I clicked even though you said not to. I couldn't help myself.

Highflyer
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:18 PM
Oh, me too!

In fact, there is rarely a deleted post I don't open, and I'm usually disappointed when they're not as dramatic as I hoped. Sigh.

Ajierene
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:16 PM

Oh, me too!

In fact, there is rarely a deleted post I don't open, and I'm usually disappointed when they're not as dramatic as I hoped. Sigh.

Apparently we don't listen to direction well. I am also a bit disappointed that it is not all that dramatic. Oh well, off to entertain myself elsewhere.

Pussy Cat
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:59 PM

Me too. In fact I think telling a bunch of CoTHers not to click is guaranteed to get more clicks than ever. :winkgrin:

No excitement here, moving on....