PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta no longer in foal :(

joycesgrooming
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:00 PM
She has had a miscarriage they are saying. Also saying she is doing fine. Bummer....

jetsmom
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:18 PM
That's too bad.

Xctrygirl
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:34 PM
They're going to breed her again when she is in season next.

Not a big deal, happens all the time in horses, humans and many animals in between.

~Emily

Risk-Averse Rider
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:38 PM
Just curious - I saw that they were going to re-breed her to Bernardini. Does she have to be bred to the same stallion if the breedings are within a certain period of time, just to make absolutely certain they know who the sire is, or would they just do DNA testing on the foal?

LaurieB
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:37 PM
She didn't have a miscarriage. The minute (days old) embryo reabsorbed. It's not an unusual occurance.

Risk Averse, she doesn't have to be bred to the same stallion--it's not infrequent for mares to be bred to 2 different stallions in the same season if the first horse turns out to have low fertility or some other problem--but in this case there would be no reason for Z's connections to make a switch.

keepthelegend
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
Just curious - I saw that they were going to re-breed her to Bernardini. Does she have to be bred to the same stallion if the breedings are within a certain period of time, just to make absolutely certain they know who the sire is, or would they just do DNA testing on the foal?

All foals are DNA tested in order to be registered. She does have to be rebred to Bernardini unless they let her out of the contract - usually only for fertility problems on his part.

nasalberry
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:44 PM
She has had a miscarriage they are saying. Also saying she is doing fine. Bummer....

With all due respect ... Horses do NOT have "miscarriages"

And, second ... Well this was already mentioned:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294032&page=2

Puzzlement ... WHY do CoTHers steadfastly refuse to read previous threads or posts which ALREADY answered the question??? "Like" 10 times! "Duh!"
It's like a shouting match with 3,000 6 year-olds.

Dispatcher
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:50 AM
Puzzlement ... WHY do CoTHers steadfastly refuse to read previous threads or posts which ALREADY answered the question??? "Like" 10 times! "Duh!"

Just to annoy you?

nasalberry
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:08 PM
Just to annoy you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And what a fine job they do, too!

TouchstoneAcres
Apr. 2, 2011, 07:14 PM
Early loss is not "reabsorption"; there is no such thing. It is a common misconception, pun intended:) It is early embryonic loss or abortion in equine pregnancy terms. For people it would be called miscarriage. Same thing, different terminology.
http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/Pregnancy-Terminology.shtml

spotted draft x filly
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:45 AM
She was rebred yesterday so I'm sure they'll be news soon enough

Equinoxfox
Apr. 20, 2011, 08:34 PM
Is there any news yet on the breeding . Details please .

mintano
Apr. 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
They've said they are going to keep things quiet this time around until she's farther along.

ESG
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:01 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does JC allow embryo transfer?

judybigredpony
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:03 AM
NO

danceronice
Apr. 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
No ET, no AI. Foals have to be the live cover product of the sire and dam.

breakthru
Apr. 21, 2011, 01:50 PM
So, as a non-racing world ignoramus who wandered over here to poke around.... if all foals have to be DNA tested to be registered, then... why do they still do live cover?

Toadie's mom
Apr. 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
So, as a non-racing world ignoramus who wandered over here to poke around.... if all foals have to be DNA tested to be registered, then... why do they still do live cover?
:lol::lol:You can read debates/comments about this ad nauseam all over the internet!

breakthru
Apr. 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
Ok, didn't intend to open a can of worms or old debate, just didn't know if there was an obvious reason I was missing... :D

Apr. 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
I read that on wikipedia yesterday.
So sad for her, if any mare deserves to be bred it's her talented and from what I read a sweet hearted creature if there ever was one.

With luck she will settle this time.

Apr. 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
It's like a shouting match with 3,000 6 year-olds.

That's pretty snarky for someone who has only been here 116 posts.

nasalberry
Apr. 22, 2011, 12:54 PM
That's pretty snarky for someone who has only been here 116 posts.

:lol::lol::lol:

I've actually "been here" since 12/99, but my other username was eaten.

I fail to see whether or not one has hyperactive keyboard fingers qualifies for anything. Too many talkers=not enough listeners ;)

So I'm not one of those idiots who blather on and on only to get their post-count higher. Big deal.

Your point was .... ?

Lynnwood
May. 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
Did they ever get her back in foal?

Xctrygirl
May. 13, 2011, 04:07 PM
FWIW the scuttlebutt now is that yes she was rebred but they're gonna hold back on public announcements until its at a safer period of time..

Just like mom are supposed to wait til after 12 weeks to announce their pregnancies.

~Em

Leprechaun
May. 13, 2011, 05:10 PM
Too bad. I hope she has an adorable baby in 2012!

lolita1
May. 14, 2011, 05:46 AM
Didn't read all post so probably already mentioned but they would normally due to the $$$ paid re-bred her to the same stallion - Live foal guarantee. Also owners don't get the $$/service fee back if they go with another stallion (unless under private agreement) and actually depending on the contractthey are under no obligation to bred to a stallion if they have paid the service fee. Normally changing stallions would most likely only occur if the orginal stallion had poor semen quality.

IronwoodFarm
May. 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
I seriously doubt that money is an issue with this particular owner. If she did reabsorb, my guess is she'll be on kept on hormones from now on. We had problems with some mares reabsorbing in the past, but P4 seems to have solved that issue.

Laurierace
May. 14, 2011, 08:07 AM
Didn't read all post so probably already mentioned but they would normally due to the $$$ paid re-bred her to the same stallion - Live foal guarantee. Also owners don't get the $$/service fee back if they go with another stallion (unless under private agreement) and actually depending on the contractthey are under no obligation to bred to a stallion if they have paid the service fee. Normally changing stallions would most likely only occur if the orginal stallion had poor semen quality.

There is no money paid until the foal stands and nurses. The stallions fertility is obviously not a problem as she did get in foal on one cover.

dressagetraks
May. 14, 2011, 08:22 AM
Do TB stallion owners ever "cut deals" with a mare owner for less than market price if the mare is truly awesome? The prestige of getting Z in your stallion's book is worth a great deal of advertising. I imagine dealings, if any, were private, but if I owned a stallion and Z was considering my boy, I would let them know that they would not be paying full stud fee.

MightyBobbyMagee
May. 14, 2011, 09:45 AM
Do TB stallion owners ever "cut deals" with a mare owner for less than market price if the mare is truly awesome? The prestige of getting Z in your stallion's book is worth a great deal of advertising. I imagine dealings, if any, were private, but if I owned a stallion and Z was considering my boy, I would let them know that they would not be paying full stud fee.

Almost all stallion owners do, and not just for big name stallions and mares. There are plenty of $3,500-ish studs that, with a nice mare, you could probably breed to for around $1,000.

LaurieB
May. 14, 2011, 09:45 AM

Yes, they do sometimes--but not as often as seems to be reported on the internet. :lol:

The thing is that the top stallions fill their books with pretty much all top mares. And they're not going to give discounts to everyone.

Sure Z was special, but a stallion like Bernardini hardly needs any advertising. His connections already get more submissions to breed to him than they can possibly handle. I'm sure they're happy that the Mosses chose him, but it doesn't really help them, or the stallion, in any way.

It's the stallion owners with lesser horses who are more likely to be cutting deals--but the top mares don't want to go to them.

LaurieB
May. 14, 2011, 09:48 AM
Did they ever get her back in foal?

Yes. :)

keepthelegend
May. 14, 2011, 09:50 AM

Not with the top ones or even a popular middle one - City Zip seasons are going for well over his stud fee at the moment. You get deals a lot to 3rd year stallions or ones that don't get a full book. Sometimes a stallion with one really good offspring will try to court that mare to come back at a discount. But Bernardini is hot as can be right now and there would have been no deal for Zenyatta. He has a book full of great mares.

Lynnwood
May. 14, 2011, 01:20 PM
Yes. :)

Thanks Laurie

Mardi
May. 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
They've said they are going to keep things quiet this time around until she's farther along.

Further.

Unless they're going to keep things quiet until she's farther down the track. :)

Hounds
May. 16, 2011, 09:49 AM
Since we're talking about grammar and word use, you can use "farther" in this context, as it can mean "at or to a more advanced point."

SmartAlex
May. 16, 2011, 10:41 AM
Anything further father? Or was that father further?

oh horsefeathers.... ;)

LaurieB
May. 16, 2011, 10:59 AM
After the 45 day check.

smokygirl
May. 19, 2011, 05:37 AM
Ok, didn't intend to open a can of worms or old debate, just didn't know if there was an obvious reason I was missing... :D

many reasons. Mostly (Imo) because Kentucky's economy would be even worse w/AI. All those large farms... charge a lot for mare care, and foaling out, etc. Plus all the vet fees, etc. Then you pay stable hands, foal watchers, etc. They in turn buy stuff in the state... etc.

Pallas
May. 21, 2011, 01:37 AM
She was rebred yesterday so I'm sure they'll be news soon enough

...Wrote Spotted Draft X Filly on April 3rd. She'd have had her 45-day check by now. With the Moss/Sherriffs team now at the Preakness with Mr. Commons, I wonder if they're saving the announcement until after the race.

dressagetraks
May. 21, 2011, 06:57 AM
One of her updates in the last week was all "I'm doing GREAT lately, wink wink grin grin, and hope I continue to do great, wink wink." Sigh. I appreciate the news in those "diary" posts, but you have to look for that news with a map and binoculars sometimes. :rolleyes:

Xctrygirl
May. 22, 2011, 12:20 PM
...Wrote Spotted Draft X Filly on April 3rd. She'd have had her 45-day check by now. With the Moss/Sherriffs team now at the Preakness with Mr. Commons, I wonder if they're saving the announcement until after the race.

Incorrect. Mr. Commons not owned by the Mosses.

~Emily