PDA

View Full Version : First Solo Trailering to Lesson **UPDATE**

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:52 PM
Heading to my (hunter) riding lesson today. It's the first time I'm trailering myself. I'm a bit nervous!! My husband usually graciously takes me, but he is working late today.

Any words of wisdom? I want to be plenty early so I have time to tack up and not be stressed out before my lesson.

****UPDATE: Success! All went well. My "pony" loaded like a pro and was quiet for me. The trip went smoothly. Only slight hitch is...I did run a red light! :eek: It had JUST turned red and there were no cars! I did look. Didn't feel safe stopping so suddenly. All other stops were smooth and safe. My lesson was great, pony loaded back up easily, and we were off again. I only had to back up about 15 feet, and no trouble. Thanks again to all that offered encouragement and tips!

potterma
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:55 PM
My advice is to stay calm, cool and collected. Driving a trailer's not much different from just straight up driving. As long as you don't forget it's behind you, you should be good to go! Have fun, I love driving the trailer :winkgrin:

AliCat518
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
My dad taught me to trailer years ago, and every time I get in the truck to trailer somewhere, I rethink his words of wisdom.

Go as slow as you need to and only as fast as you're comfortable with.

Keep an eye on your mirrors and the trailer tires (keeping inbetween lines of course!)

Brake SLOWLY.

ALWAYS keep too much distance between you and the car in front of you.

I might drive a bit too slow when trailering, but I would rather get there safely! Try to relax while youre driving...I actually think its easier to focus when im trailering alone! Good luck!

HRF Second Chance
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:58 PM
BREATHE! Remember to breathe!

Since you already know the barn, think of where you can turn around and get faced back out for an easy exit. Or a few places where you can turn around.

Use your mirrors.

If you have to back 'er up, do it in opposition of the way you want to go and ease it back.

Breathe! Did I say that already? Good luck. I used to haul in rush hour traffic through Dallas to go to my lessons and the first time I did it unscathed I felt 10' tall and bullet proof. NOTHING in my lesson could be worse than the commute!

Quinn
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:59 PM
You'll do fine. :)

Never accelerate around a corner. Wait until your truck and trailer are completely straight. The second I get behind the wheel of the truck (still) I remind myself I am pulling the trailer.

Don't sweat it and have a great lesson.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:38 PM
You guys are great. Thanks! I'm getting ready to load up now. Hope I don't forget anything. :)

I do know how to trailer my boat and back it into and out of the water...but it seems very different than my 3-horse slant gooseneck horse trailer.

I'll let you know how it goes!

KBC
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:44 PM
Good luck, I hope it all goes well, there is nothing like the feeling of achievement, and the liberation that towing your own horse brings you.

I'm so happy that I can hitch on, load my horses and go wherever I want, whenever I want.

I second the breathe option, and also remember to relax your shoulders, posture is all important!

sspry
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:25 PM
D-
I trailer by myself all the time. Knowing you- you will do fine!!! And with it being a gooseneck, I think that is much easier than the bumper pulls! Good luck and have a great lesson!!

HappyHorselover
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm so happy that I can hitch on, load my horses and go wherever I want, whenever I want.

Same here! I am alway alone when I hitch/load/leave and usually alone at the place I am going as well. You get used to it fast! Hope your trip went smoothly, OP!

stillknotreel
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hope everything went well!

One tip with backing up, since I used to always get confused (and still sometimes need to remind myself) since the trailer swings the other way. The trailer will go in the direction that the bottom of the steering wheel is going. So if you're turning your wheel to the left, and the bottom of the steering wheel is swinging to the right, that is where your trailer is going to go while you're backing up (to the right).

Smooth trailering!!

To the MAX
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:33 PM
You'll be fine! I've been driving my truck and trailer basically since I've had my license. Always make sure you double check that all pins, chains, doors, etc. are secure. And just go slow! Keep lots of room between you and the car in front of you.
Backing up isn't bad at all. If you find yourself going the wrong way, just stop, recollect yourself and try again! Or, you can learn how to back up how I did...have to back your trailer into your narrow residential driveway with landscaping on each side on a semi-busy road. :lol:

xitmom
Mar. 29, 2011, 07:50 PM
That was me a year ago! You will be feeling like a pro after one season of driving your trailer. Ditto what HRF and AliCat said. Make sure that you give your horse a good trip and he/she will continue to be happy to jump on the trailer for the next ride-- slow and smooth acceleration, slow and gentle stops, and slow and smooth corners will make your horse happy. Keep checking your mirrors to be mindful of where the trailer tires are. Avoid backing up if you can for the first trip or two... so plan where you can do a U turn safely to head out the other way. I hope it goes well for you!