PDA

View Full Version : What kind of goose am I? Literally.

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 01:57 PM
Yesterday a new friend showed up on my farm.

http://www.belhavenequinesolutions.com/Belhavens_New_Friend/What_Am_I.html

I thought he/she was just passing through-evidently s/he decided this is an ok place to hang out for awhile.

So, what kind of goose do I have?

Anyone?

Liberty
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:06 PM
A Toulouse goose?
http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/toulouse.html

Greylag? (included in "Toulouse" definition above):
http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/goose.html

I'd just go with "grey goose". :D

JSwan
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:47 PM
Looks like a Toulouse to me, too.

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:00 PM
Oh yes! He looks like a Toulouse

SO I just did a little reading on these geese-domestic geese from France?

Where the heck did he come from? It sounds like a neighbor may be missing a goose?

Grey Goose-so his new name is Vodka? :lol:

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:04 PM
FWIW, Vodka is about as popular, though not quite, as the Emu (for anyone that remembers the Emu)

HPFarmette
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:18 PM
The original ethologist, Konrad Lorenz, wrote some interesting things about greylag geese in "On Aggression".:yes:

cloudyandcallie
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:26 PM
The original ethologist, Konrad Lorenz, wrote some interesting things about greylag geese in "On Aggression".:yes:

Hey I read that years and years ago. Are those the geese who thought he was one of the family?

LMH, now you have to get your goose another goose. They mate for life, right? Of course you first have to sex your goose. If it is mature, and if I remember my great grandparents' geese, don't the ganders have the thingie on/just above the beak?
Any goose/geese experts out there?

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:31 PM
I must say Vodka is creating a little neighborhood excitement-the neighbor horses have been fog-horning all day.

I found Maya walking down the driveway this morning-I am wondering if the fence crashing had something to do with Vodka? :eek:

S/he is now napping in the field that the boys will use this evening. S/he is only honking every 20-30 minutes so that should make for a fascinating evening. :lol:

What if it stays? :confused:

ellebeaux
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
I love Konrad Lorenz! Go to the library and get 'On Aggression', 'King Solomon's Ring' or 'The Year of the Greylag Goose'. Excellent books!

She's probably making contact calls trying to figure out where all the other geese are. They definitely need a mate or two or three.

Geese are simply awesome, lots of personality and make great watch animals.

I predict you will fall in love very quickly.

If I remember correctly, boy geese wear 'pants' so it looks like you may have a she-goose. Someone else may be able to tell better than me...

Donkaloosa
Yep, a Toulouse, aka a common market goose. Lovely birds, but then, I'm a sucker for geese and used to have a couple of Giant African Domestics and a Toulouse. I love how geese will carry on a conversation with you with a combination of loud honks and soft little honks.

cloudyandcallie
Then you will need a mate for your goose. I'd say "OJ" but that has such a negative connotation now, and "screwdriver" is not a pretty name either.

You can find a mate (for the goose, that is) down at the feed stores this time of year.

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
I was able to get pretty close but not close enough.

If the goose stays (not sure if I really WANT that but I can't just dump it in the street), is there some kind of treat I can use to entice it closer?

My 4 goats have created a team to defend themselves against the scary goose. They now only move around as a group-like a football defense line. :lol:

Phaxxton
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:19 PM
Then you will need a mate for your goose. I'd say "OJ" but that has such a negative connotation now, and "screwdriver" is not a pretty name either.

You can find a mate (for the goose, that is) down at the feed stores this time of year.

I vote Vodka's mate be named Martini

sid
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:36 PM
In the first picture, it looks more like a Chinese Swan goose. I had two and loved them.:)

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
In the first picture, it looks more like a Chinese Swan goose. I had two and loved them.:)

Oh-it looks like that one as well!

I just went out to check on Vodka and my presence in the pasture was not welcome!:lol:

cloudyandcallie
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:48 PM
I vote Vodka's mate be named Martini

Great idea! I second that name.

L, get some cheerios or bread (whole grain is healthier). Hold out hand.......Wait, didn't you go to Emory? Did you go to the lake at the president's house and feed the geese and ducks? (I did when my boyfriend was in LS there.) Just don't feed a lot of grumpy gabby geese who will chase you when you run out of food.:lol:

The 7 Canada geese at one of the barns where I boarded C&C were so polite and never got mad when food was gone. Those at the Emory lake were really mean!

We have had some visiting Canada geese at present barn for last 2 days but they won't come up close to barn.

You could put Vodka in a dog crate and take him/her to the feed store which sells geese and have him/her pick out a mate.

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:00 PM
I could try some bread-I just didn't know if that was really safe for all geese.

So far I can get about 10 feet away before Vodka starts a-honking. My neighbors horses are certainly getting exercise today.

More little thing is just wandering from here to there, takes a little nap and then honks along some more.

Honestly this is the tale of the lost emu ALL over again! :eek:

I am a little concerned of the evening festivities when Hugo and Milo are turned out there tonight.

I am not worried about Vodka since she seems to be running the farm after only 24 hours.

Hopefully someone will post a lost goose sign soon? :confused:

Ghazzu
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:17 PM

I'd guess Chinese, too, from the photo.

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:19 PM
Do all Chinese ones have a little knob above the beak?

The photos I saw do and Vodka does not.

Oh no-what if she is a mutt!

cloudyandcallie
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:08 PM

Please! We prefer the term Warmblood!:lol:

Liberty
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:08 PM

From what I've read on Chinese geese, the knob on the top of the head is a distinguishing feature, so I'd guess they all have them.

You might just have a mutt on your hands. ;)

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:20 PM
oh no.

I think I may already have Martini:eek:

I was taking pics of Vodka and s/he got mad and flew away. I went to the barn for a second to get Milo and Hugo...

well there in the pasture was a goose...again.

But Vodka had flown WAY away and I never heard or saw anything.

I took more photos and will post them shortly-

one brilliant one of Hugo chasing the goose. :lol:

So, maybe we can compare markings and see just how many geese I have! :confused:

fivehorses
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:39 PM
I had a toulouse female for 18 years before a coyote got her in the middle of the day. The next day the neighbor got the coyote.
Emily was a sweetheart, but although I literally carried her around the first month of her life, she became stand offish as she aged.

Saltines, crackers of any kind they love.
I now have 3 male emden's...not sure if they like that or not, but oh well.

I would love to get another toulouse, but for now, the 3 boys are enough. They do mate(but mine were swingers), and the females get very protective of their nests.
I just don't want any more goslings.

They are great at guarding, and scare many people off. I kind of like that. Those who know me and my geese know they will not attack, but those who don't know me, are very wary.

Have fun.
I feed my geese and chickens blue seal grower cal pellets, and always have water available for them.
They do need shelter from predators. A fox will try and take one on, especially at night.

LMH
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:51 PM
Well, it is official-Vodka and Martini

My mom saw two fly in last night.

I updated the link.

Vodka is on the left-and I *think* that is Martini on the right.

My goose identifying skills are not strong so they could be the same!

The last photo is Hugo and Milo playing tag with Martini :eek:

ReSomething
Mar. 29, 2011, 07:16 PM
I sure can't tell. Geese are cool. And tasty. Wait till the summer when they try to peck at your bare toes!

Donkaloosa
Mar. 29, 2011, 07:41 PM
I used to feed my geese cracked corn. They also loved the outer leaves of lettuce --- used to get that free from the grocery store. In the summer, we'd feed them tomatoes from the garden and the skins when we were canning. Other than that, they will happily eat grass, bugs, small frogs, snakes, etc. They are a great way to keep snakes away from a pond. Toulouse and African geese do look a lot alike, and my crossbred. The knob is an easy way to distinguish them, and the Africans are bigger, and I think they have orange feet while Toulouse have grey feet. Mine would spend hours munching on the evilly green grass that grew over the septic field!

deckchick
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:21 PM
Awesome pics! Enjoy!

Zarafia
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:41 PM
A Toulouse goose?
http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/toulouse.html

Greylag? (included in "Toulouse" definition above):
http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/goose.html

I'd just go with "grey goose". :D

Yep, that's my vote.

sid
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:48 PM
Yes, the Chinese Swan geese have the knob on the top of the bill.

Mine lived well with throwing small ground cracked corn. They got everything else they needed for their diet by grazing the pastures. "Uncle George" lived well into his 20's!

You may well have a "mutt". I've always had Canadas here, but during the seasonal migration I'd have a flock fly in for a day or two and twice I've had what appeared to be a domestic and Canada hybrid! Pink feet, pink bill, Canada coloring but more muted. This hybrid must have inherited the gene to actually FLY from the Canada parent. Most domestics cannot fly.

Whatever you have, enjoy it. Once it realizes you're throwing cracked corn for it, it will start following you around when it's feeding time (don't throw the corn in where the horses can get, as it may not be horse safe.).

And...you're supposed "she" may really be a "he" and may have wandered in looking for it's mate, if perhaps it died. They'll do that. That's how mine arrived. Two of them separately, unrelated. Geese are cool. :yes:

Bells
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:12 AM
Toulouse goose is my vote. We've had about 6 over the years, the oldest girl lived to 15. All our AfricanXToulouse geese were lighter (as in weight) looking goose. From the pictures - it looks like you have 2 females.

The eggs seem huge compared to chickens, the shells are much harder and equal to about 3 chicken eggs. Mine are laying now so start looking for a nest or you might be surprised by more geese - if they have a male in tow.

They don't mate for life but if presented w/more than one male will choose one over the other. If a male dies they will accept a new mate. And one alone does seem to be depressed or at least lonely so I am glad you have 2:)

Ours are better alarms than the dogs are. They get very excited when something isn't "right".

LMH
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:04 AM
Last night we had TERRIBLE storms...between that and the horses playing tag (or duck duck GOOSE), it seems Vodka and Martini were not satisfied with our accommodations. :no:

No sign of either one today.

However Betty Blue Heron was here this morning.

ChocoMare
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:52 AM
Awwww, that's too bad! :( They make such great Agents... on patrol, honking at strangers, alerting to goats stuck in the fence.

Our geese, 99 and Chief, are working on 8 eggs right now. Future agents in the making! 99 accepted Chief as her new mate about 2 months after Max (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2754810090015305252SabErF)passed away.

LMH
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:02 PM
Well I found one of the little ho's at my neighbors! :lol:

mswillie
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:22 PM
It kind of looks like some Canada x white domestic geese I once saw in a small local zoo. Apparently they cross breed relatively frequently.

Phaxxton
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:57 PM
Figures. Someone finally takes my name suggestion and the animal runs away! :lol:

Hope they both come back!

ET's Home
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:00 PM
LMH - where are you located? It would be too early up here in the NE, but if they are a pair they may be looking for a nesting site. If they keep coming back to the same pasture and act pretty agressive to intruders to that area, you may have eggs. That is pretty standard behavior with Canada geese.

ET

LMH
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
I am in Georgia. This evening I had a goose in the pasture again.

Hugo and Milo chased the poor dear away again.

I am thinking they will soon realize we are not a Goose-safe environment.

Thank goodness my aussies have not noticed them yet!:lol:

cloudyandcallie
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:52 PM
Aussies herd geese in competition. When the ASCA had its nationals in Gaineville about 10-12 years ago, the aussies herded cows and sheep and geese. (My breeders, the Hartnagles were there, and I went up to watch.)

My first aussie herded the neighbors' cats.....till I took all those cats in, and then he ignored them.

And ET's Home is right. The bluebirds at our barn and the Canada geese who are visiting are getting ready to nest. you may have goslings soon.

Phaxxton
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:29 PM
Eggs? If Martini and Vodka have a baby, can we call it Lemon Drop? :lol:

sid
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:59 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

LMH
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:51 PM

From what I understand if eggs come along we will need about 8-10 names

RedMare01
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:05 PM
From what I understand if eggs come along we will need about 8-10 names

Can we have an Olive and a Cosmopolitan? You can call him Cosmo for short. :lol:

Caitlin

Frank B
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:42 PM
Add "Shaken" & "Stirred" to the list.

Candle
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:47 PM
Tom Collins and Cocktail Umbrella..... :D

ChocoMare
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:35 AM
And here's a nice story about A Toulouse Goose Named Maria! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61WkeY9Jcvw

Such a sweet story! :)

LMH
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:50 AM
I LOVE that video-but mine are broken!

Why doesn't my goose act like Maria?????:lol:

LMH
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:26 PM
Well MUCH to my surprise, I open my garage door to take my golf cart to the barn and who was there???

VODKA! :eek:

Needless to say it was QUITE the greeting as I had both my aussies with me.

Vodka flew 'away' and we drove to the barn.

GUESS who had landed in front of my barn?

Yuppers...vodka again!

This time Zack got away from me and can I tell you how FAST an almost 11yo aussie can travel? :lol:

At this point Vodka gave up on US and landed in the donkey field with my horse Julian.

They welcomed her with open hooves and she is resting on the hilltop!

Kryswyn
Mar. 31, 2011, 11:05 PM
Glad they're back, and of course, one of the goslings has to be "James Bond"!

Phaxxton
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:01 AM
Glad they're back, and of course, one of the goslings has to be "James Bond"!

:lol:

And one can be "shaken" and another "stirred." :lol:

LMH
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:33 AM
Happy safe morning goose report!

Vodka is comfortably sleeping in the donkey pasture.

I am guessing there is only one after all. :(

LauraKY
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:23 AM
It looks suspiciously like one of the geese on our lake. We already had a problem with migratory (actually non-migratory) geese then someone dumped off three white domestic geese, who interbred with the non-migratory geese. We have one that could be a ringer for yours.

Want some more, bring a big trailer. I'll give you all you want. We've done everything we can to get rid of them. Their feces are destructive, can eat right through car paint and asphalt shingles, they carry a lot of really nasty diseases, and they eat all those lovely green shoots of grass in the spring. I've read that it's suspected that they are at least an interim carrier for EPM and it's unknown if EPM can be contracted from goose feces infested pastures. It's bad enough that my neighbor had to close down one of his pastures nearest to the lake. They particularly like new seedlings.

I've talked to Fish & Wildlife, the problem is, back in the 90's, someone, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the US needed non-migratory geese, so they brought in Giant Canadian geese. Which then interbred with the migratory geese. So, now we have non-migratory geese which are covered by the migratory geese act...so you need to have special permits to get rid of them.

You haven't lived until you walk a new horse into the barn and you find a flapping honking goose in his stall. Luckily, none of us were hurt.

We've tried coyote cutouts, noise, chemicals, etc. Nothing works to get rid of them. There is a flashing light sett-up that works for water, but it's a 13 acre lake, and would cost over $8K to set it up. My poor collie was afraid of them. Our lab won't chase them, just runs to the lake for a swim.

Forewarned is forearmed. If it's only a couple, like I said, they're cute.

Apr. 1, 2011, 06:00 PM
And here's a nice story about A Toulouse Goose Named Maria! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61WkeY9Jcvw

Such a sweet story! :)

Not Quite as it turns out.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/bizarre&id=7995355

scheherazadetbmare
Apr. 1, 2011, 06:07 PM
Not Quite as it turns out.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/bizarre&id=7995355

Those Californians and their alternative lifestyles! But wait, if the Californian is a gander, and Vodka is a girl goose, maybe he can move to the east?

LMH
Apr. 1, 2011, 06:55 PM
Vodka still hanging out on the hill top-ALL day long.

Kinda feel like I should offer her something to drink or eat! :lol:

sid
Apr. 1, 2011, 09:57 PM
Whether Vodka is a "he" or a "she" is yet to be known. Nevertheless, Vodka is looking for a home...and for the moment has chosen LMH's digs. :)

Enjoy him or her, whether "it" stays or leaves.

Geese have their own minds and can be good additions to farm life and very engagining and amusing.

Obvioulsy, Vodka has already captured a heart with LMH...:yes:

LMH
Apr. 2, 2011, 10:30 AM
Good MORNING Vodka!

http://www.belhavenequinesolutions.com/Belhavens_New_Friend/Vodka.html

Peacefully hanging out with Julian and the Donks!

They all had a morning walk together before she started heading back to the top of Grey Goose Hill! :lol:

ET's Home
Apr. 2, 2011, 06:54 PM
I still wonder if she/he has a mate and they are looking for a nesting site. Seems weird that the goose hangs out most of the day in the same area/pasture. That's standard behavior for a male that has a female hidden in a nest.

I raised a Canada goose, hatched her with my Pekin ducks. After two years she finally realized what she was and found a wild mate. Still came back to our pond each year to raise her brood. One year she laid her eggs in the doghouse, which was on our deck. Had to move the doghouse down near the pond - otherwise no one was getting in or out of the house with that wild male guarding her.

ET

kookicat
Apr. 2, 2011, 07:10 PM

Hangover... :winkgrin::lol:

djopc
Dec. 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
I was given these Geese by my sister to protect my Penguin Ducks ( Indian Runners) But we have no idea what kind of geese these may be any help would be appreciated. This is the female: http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407469_2284370318605_1529281666_31641122_138070267 3_n.jpg

This is the male: http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4380947_2284370678614_1529281666_31641123_20988 33837_n.jpg

Thank you in advance

Rick

Renegade Rescues at Schramm Farms
An abused dog rescue

sid
Dec. 26, 2011, 06:01 PM
Not sure what kind of geese they are, but I LOVE Indian Runners. My last one I named "Stretch", for obvious reasons.

They are the most amusing of the webbed-footed cuties.:lol::lol:

Pennywell Bay
Dec. 27, 2011, 07:17 AM
I had a goose just walk onto the farm from the road. Never knew where he came from. I was afraid my dogs would eat him so I took him to the SPCA.

He road shotgun in my Mustang.

He lived out his life there, in a paddock w/ other critters.