PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Hydrant Question

monalisa
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
My day from hell yesterday including my leaving the hose hooked up to the hydrant outside my barn on Sunday night. UGH. I have never done that. Anyway, the hydrant was frozen (is frost free and not that old) but by midday, it had unfrozen and worked fine after I unhooked the very long hose.

To this morning, mid to low 20's last night. Went to feed and the hydrant is indeed frozen although there is no hose hooked to it this time. It has never frozen before other than Sunday night with the hose. Also noticed some frozen water around the hydrant like a stream of water had been dripping from the hydrant although last night around 7 pm it was working like a charm.

Is my hydrant toast? My other hydrant near my paddocks was not frozen. Why is it now freezing up on me?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

deckchick
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:26 PM
I feel your pain. Mine is frozen too, but I got some great advise that may work for you on my thread here. Good luck!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297918

monalisa
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
Mine unfroze, unlike yours, but in the mornings is freezing up, even without a hose attached to it which does not make sense unless I really damaged. So our issues are not really the same. My question is whether my hydrant is damaged or whether it can be repaired. Anyone??

HPFarmette
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:37 PM
I got a new hydrant put in last summer near the barn. Now the brass rod that goes down into it when you lower the handle is busted. I did forget to lower the handle once, but the entire water supply gets shut off up by the house. I am sad. It does work but I don't know if it is letting water run under the barn when I am using it....:no:

Robin@DHH
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:01 PM
I would suggest two things. First, look at your hydrant and
try to find a brand name on it. These are usually stamped
into the metal. If you have a Woodford, it can be repaired
without digging (usually). Other brands vary.

Second suggestion, put frost hydrant repair into your
favorite search engine and follow the links, especially
if you brand of hydrant has a listing. The information
there can be very helpful and may save you from having
to replace a hydrant or call a plumber to make a repair
you could very well do yourself.

hosspuller
Mar. 30, 2011, 12:36 AM
My day from hell yesterday including my leaving the hose hooked up to the hydrant outside my barn on Sunday night. UGH. I have never done that. Anyway, the hydrant was frozen (is frost free and not that old) but by midday, it had unfrozen and worked fine after I unhooked the very long hose.

To this morning, mid to low 20's last night. Went to feed and the hydrant is indeed frozen although there is no hose hooked to it this time. It has never frozen before other than Sunday night with the hose. Also noticed some frozen water around the hydrant like a stream of water had been dripping from the hydrant although last night around 7 pm it was working like a charm.

Is my hydrant toast? My other hydrant near my paddocks was not frozen. Why is it now freezing up on me?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

One case may be ... the ground around the hydrant has been saturated with water from the hose left on. This may prevent the hydrant from draining properly, leading to freezing.

Try to not use the hydrant for a few days to let the ground absorb the water. This may be a simple alternative to digging up the hydrant

clanter
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:15 AM
This thread reminds me of why I moved from Kentucky in 1981.... its 85 degrees here, green grass is up