PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Boarding/Farrier in Buffalo, NY?

eastcoast
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone-

I am looking for a place to board two horses in Buffalo, NY (ideally within an hour of Amherst), and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

My main criteria are:

1. Must have rideable facilities year round, which in this area means an indoor.
I do not care if jumps are set up in the indoor (or even if they exist on the property); I am happy to school flatwork at home and trailer out for lessons.
But there needs to be an indoor that I can seriously flat a horse in, at least 60 x 100 uncluttered.

2. Must have quality turnout daily.
I understand the area is muddy but I prefer my horses to be out than locked in the barn for the winter preserving the fields.
I am not a huge fan of 5 horses in a half acre paddock.
I am hoping for at least all day turnout for winters/all night turnout for summers.

3. I am ok with pasture board as long as they feed grain to the pasture boarded horses. If it isn't included in the normal pasture board price I am happy to pay extra but they have to be willing to feed two meals a day.

4. My price range maxes out at $450 per month, per horse.
For $450, I would like a high quality feed program that can feed a sport horse, so free choice hay and grain for competition horses (so...not 4lbs per day of Blue Seal Strider).

For lower priced places, I am happy to supply extra feed; I am also willing to go buy it and bring it so the BO doesn't have to go to any extra trouble other than scooping out of a different bin.

5. Trailer parking. I trailer out for lessons so I would like to be able to keep the trailer at the barn.

I completely DO NOT CARE whether or not there is a trainer on site. I trailer out for lessons and am happy to ride in a multidiscipline/pleasure barn as long as there is a usable indoor.

Conversely a deal breaker is if there IS a trainer on site and they insist on x number of lessons with them a month.

Right now my horses are at a pasture board place with good fencing, nice sheds, plenty of hay and grain fed twice daily (sadly it is 1,500 miles away from Buffalo). It is a really small place with 6 horses total on the property.
I am totally ok with a low key place and do not require all of the fance and schmance.

But I do like a clean place, good feed, plenty of turnout, and an indoor.

Any suggestions?

And finally, I am interested in finding a good farrier.
Would anyone be able to tell me who they use; what they do with their horses and what types of places the farrier shoes for?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
Hopefully COTH can work its magic and help me find a good place for my horses! :)

amastrike
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:26 PM
I highly recommend Newstead Equestrian Center. It's about 30 minutes from Amherst. I'm not sure about the turnout schedule or trailer parking. I know they're putting in more pastures and a small cross country course. The indoor is really nice and big with new footing, and the BM lives on-site. She's a friend of mine.

SarahandSam
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:31 AM
PM sent!

eastcoast
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:46 AM
PM sent!

Hey-

I'm not sure if it worked as I don't see it in my inbox.
Could you try again?

Thanks!

SarahandSam
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:47 AM
Oops, just sent it. (:

eastcoast
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:08 AM
Bump?

There have to be more COTHers who ride in the Buffalo area than this. Where do you guys keep your horses?

I have had great experiences in the past boarding at hole-in-the-wall private barns. You know, the ones that don't advertise and you basically have to drive by and knock on the door to see if they have space.

If you run one of these barns and read COTH, here is your chance for a quiet, sane, boarder who brings easy-to-deal-with horses, pays on time, and minds her own business.

Or, if you are a COTHer who keeps their horse at a place that fits the above description, here is a chance to help out your BO by filling up two more stalls for them.

I can provide excellent references from barn owners, vets, farriers and trainers.

Anyone?

Please?

FlashGordon
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hmm did you try going the CL route?

Are you still looking to stay in the Northtowns?

I spoke to the friend I mentioned, I think her barn is full!

There are lots of barn and lots of horses in the area but it is kind of a hodge podge of amenities, etc. You may have to alter your wishlist a wee bit unfortunately! Like maybe storing the trailer elsewhere though I know that is a big PITA if you are trailering out regularly.

Let me do some more poking around and see what else I can dig up for you...

Cruisesmom
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:24 PM
sent a pm

amastrike
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
I spoke to the friend I mentioned, I think her barn is full!

Have you been out to her barn recently? It is most certainly full!

There are quite a few barns in the area, but there aren't many that meet all your criteria.