PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Thread

vineyridge
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
This is an old Barnsby at Rick's. I find it quite intriguing. Might be a bit overpriced for its condition, though, at $400.

What do you folks think? Worth pursuing?
http://www.saddlesource.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CONS00000199

vineyridge
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:31 PM
Bump.

No one has opinions on this saddle? Anyone know what model Barnsby it might be?

paintmare
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:45 PM
I have an old Barnsby close contact saddle, it's very soft leather, can't even get rid of it for $150. It's kinda like my PDN Sovereign in excellent condition. I love the saddle and think its worth more than the $200 most people get for them these days.

vineyridge
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:57 PM
The more I look at it, the weirder it looks to me. I try to imagine a person on that saddle with the angles that it has, and I gotta say I'm baffled.

pony grandma
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:25 PM
Kind of looks like a banana. I don't think that I would call that an all purpose.

purplnurpl
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
yucky.

it looks like it must be really hard.

KateWooten
Mar. 30, 2011, 04:26 PM
It's probably overpriced. It's very difficult to sell a plain flap saddle with very flat panels. The only market for them seems to be absolute beginners and very low-budget lesson programs. The budget for them tends to be $200 or less.

I can't see either the seat size or the tree width mentioned on the ad - am I missing it ? What are your requirements ?

The problem with trying saddles is it's going to end up costing you close to $100 each time you 'try' a saddle because of the shipping, so you really do have to narrow down your requirements in terms of seat size and width at least, before it even starts to make sense to try saddles. Even then, different brands sit so differently to each other, you have a much better chance of a good fit if you've also tried everyone's saddle that you've ever met, and figured out which brands tend to work for your horse.

The online saddle retailers are really good to work with if you can provide them with the right tracings and photographs - that sets you up to have the best possible chance of them picking the right saddle for you.

SonnysMom
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:29 PM
I can't see either the seat size or the tree width mentioned on the ad - am I missing it ? What are your requirements ?

If you go through the website it is on the screen prior to the one linked by OP. It is an 18 MN.
I saw it in person. IMO way overpriced and seemed hard. My lingering impression from 3 weeks ago is that it also needs a really good conditioning. Not anything I would want to put my butt on.

Bacchus
Mar. 31, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'd be very concerned about the width of the channel (gullet all the way through). I'll bet it's very narrow and would sit on a horse's spine. That's a big problem with older saddles like that, yet people keep using them because they are cheap and have a good name -- poor horses:( I took an old Barnsby very similar to that one to a consignment shop and just left it there. I hope they tossed it. I feel guilty now for even thinking of letting someone put it on their horse.

IFG
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:35 PM
I love those old English-made saddles, but I doubt that the panels could take enough flocking to work on most TB backs.