PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Board

JumpinBean17
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
So the idea of retirement board for my 27yr old TB mare has been in the back of my mind over the past few months. I have a close friend who is barn manager for a farm in NC and I could get a great monthly rate and have her with someone I trust. However I live in MA...and can't decide if I could stand having her so far away... although it would mean she wouldnt have to go through another New England winter and I could visit/get weekly updates... Just out of curiosity does anyone know of any nice facilities in New England... I think its going to be the most cost effective to bring her to NC as board will only be $250 a month! But if there a more local place for say $350 a month or less I would certainly consider that as well. Im sure this is just wishful thinking but worth a shot.
She's a pretty easy keeper for an oldie...anyone have any suggestions?

jas1317
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:02 AM
Magnolia Run in Sharon Springs, NY. My 24 yr old large pony has been there for 2 years. I have a friend who's horse has been there quite a bit longer. It is a wonderful farm, I could not be happier with the care. And it is within your budget. My email is jas1317@yahoo.com if you would like to discuss further. Good luck!

minuspride
May. 2, 2011, 11:53 AM
I hope you founda place for your girl, if not, I know of a nice barn in South Central PA, but we do still get snow and winter here!!

JSjumper
May. 2, 2011, 10:45 PM
Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you. I'm in a very similar situation, though I'm up in Wisconsin. Anyone have any suggestions of places for my old guy? (who deserves nothing but the best:)

imissvixen
May. 3, 2011, 07:46 AM
I posted on the other thread about having a horse at Long Branch and being satisfied with it. But I can also tell you that I, also in MA, really don't like the distance. It is really hard to make time to visit.

Also I learned in a very emotional way that these horses do not forget you. I had to send my horse here due to personal issues. I hadn't owned her for but for four months. I did take care of her at my place.

I didn't get a chance to visit her in well over a year. I didn't expect her to remember me. When I arrived at the fence of the mare field at Long Branch I was approached by a number of very well fed horses none of which were mine. She is pretty easy to pick out because she only has one eye and is of course beautiful.

Anyhow, not seeing her, I starting calling her name. A pretty bay mare off in the distance lifted her head and started walking to me. But as she got closer the other mares laid back their ears so I started walking the fence line going several hundred feet to get her away from them and near me. She followed me and my husband who is not a horse person and not an emotional guy. When she finally reached us in a safe spot away from the other horses both me and my husband were in tears that this horse who we thought barely knew us in fact did. It was one of those magical bittersweet moments where you are both in awe but also terribly upset that this is currently the way things are.

If you have a long relationship with your mare I would try to keep her close enough to visit her regularly. If you find something in New England let me know. Maybe we could figure out some sort of coop situation with others in the same boat.

Oh, one other thing, I lived in NC for 16 years near Durham. It is really hot in the summer and it doesn't cool down that much at night even if your horse goes on night turnout. Because of the heat and humidity, the grass in the pastures at least where I was is wet from maybe 9 at night to 9 in the morning. If you have a horse with shelly feet it can be a problem.