PDA

View Full Version : Fixing footing

GallopGal
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:04 PM
Brand new arena. The arena was first way too deep but since then the BO has taken out SOOO much sand. Just when we think we have the right depth the sand seems to reproduce and get deep again. The sand by the back door bogs the horses down no matter how much we take out.

Dragging the arena is another mystery. The more we drag the wavier it gets. We drag with a 4 wheeler and a gate sort of thingy. I think it is basically just smoothing out the foot prints and not leveling the sand. It feels like black diamond Moguls after it is drug.

Please advise on how to fix.

JB
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:40 AM
If you're dragging with something without teeth to stir up the footing and mix it, you're just going to be smoothing out waves on top and causing things to get worse.

what is under the sand? It sounds like that wasn't ever fully tamped, and the base is mixing with the sand, keeping it heavy.

GallopGal
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
If you're dragging with something without teeth to stir up the footing and mix it, you're just going to be smoothing out waves on top and causing things to get worse.

what is under the sand? It sounds like that wasn't ever fully tamped, and the base is mixing with the sand, keeping it heavy.

Something with bigger teeth will help get rid of the waves? The arena has a limestone and clay base. Could be mixing with the sand but I haven't noticed it. I see a little bit of the base come up when the horses run hard on it but that is about it. Would useing a drag with bigger teeth cause that mixing to get worse though?

Gloria
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:17 AM
It seems to me you need a different kind of drag.

You said, "The sand by the back door bogs the horses down no matter how much we take out." That makes me wonder your current drag is pushing the footing to the back door, which an unsuitable drag will do when you make a circle around the edge.

If you have the kind of the arena where the base is different from the footing, you want the teeth deep enough so they pass through the footing, redistribute it and level it but not dig into the base.