PDA

View Full Version : Hunter sales horses

Rival
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:12 PM
What do you like to see on a show record that would increase the value of your hunter? Are the baby greens worth it? Pre greens? Or do people prefer them to be eligible for everything?

toomanyponies
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
I like them to have miles in the division they are being marketed towards. Childrens hunters to have miles with children or adults, for example.

I also like to know that they can go to a horse show and not lose their minds. So, yes, baby or pre-greens will increase their worth, but I dont want or need to see a gazillion shows or classes. Assuming you have a quality animal, putting quality miles on them is always a good thing. At a certain point, if you are lucky enough to have one that looks like a successful 1st year horse, you might want not to break its first year.

CBoylen
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:45 PM
I would rather see quality results, more than anything. Meaning shows I know by name, so I can be sure there is good deep competition. I'd rather see mid-ribbons at those shows than a bunch of firsts in the middle of nowhere. Baby green means nothing other than mileage, pregreen says something about the quality but might not tell the whole picture if you are looking for a first year horse instead of a horse to continue in the 3' for a kid or adult. Whether or not you want to keep the horse's pregreen eligibility is going to depend on what you believe the market will be for that horse. If it's going to be very fancy at the 3', you may want to save it to entice a buyer looking for a pregreen. If it's going to be competitive at the pregreen but is probably going to be more competitive as a 3'6" horse, then you want to get it some miles and get it ready to attract a person looking for next year's first year horse.