PDA

View Full Version : Ordered breeches: Now, what to wear under them?

Opus1
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
I finally broke down and ordered some breeches (Equine Couture - jeans style) after riding in normal jeans for the past three months. I love riding in jeans, but my saddle is paying for it.

About 10 seconds after hitting 'submit' on the order, I just realized I don't know what to wear underneath them. In college, I wore thongs when I rode, and normal panties for everything else. Nowadays, I wear men's boxer-brief trunks. I really don't want to go back to thongs if I don't have to.

I was thinking that maybe some Under Armor compression shorts might be a good option, but not sure how the fabric will cooperate with each other.

So, what does everyone else wear under their breeches?

(I do feel a tad creepy asking that question, fwiw. ;) )

birdsong
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:39 PM
If you don't ask you might not get the answer you need!

I have the same problem after suffering from a rubbed tush! I'm sure that going gaited has added to it!

Came home with a thong but ...naaaahhh!!

So waiting to hear the answer on the Under Armor.

Tuesday's Child
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:43 PM
Are you just concerned about VPL? I generally wear boy short style underwear, either in stretch lace or a stretchy microfibre type material. Both are quite comfortable and I don't have too many problems with it shifting into... ummm... interesting places! :eek::lol:

Equibrit
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
Under Armour. By far the most comfortable. No VPL, no nasty seams/elastic in the wrong place, no bunching up, and breeches glide over them.

Dad Said Not To
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:57 PM
Whatever's comfortable. I find that some underwear binds or rides up in the saddle. Those are now designated non-riding underwear. I won't wear thongs-- I find them horribly uncomfortable-- and have found that of the styles I do wear, some brands work for riding and some don't. If VPL is a concern, a pair of Spanx/Assets/SmartSlims smooths everything out and obscures panty lines.

Opus1
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks so much, y'all! :)

I will definitely give the Under Armour a shot. I know they have both boxer briefs and compression shorts and may end up trying them both. I would do the full length riding garments that hold it all in, but I don't know if I'd want that much extra material, especially when it starts hitting the 95+ degrees. (Which will be soon -- another reason I'm ditching jeans)

I just know my current briefs are fine under normal jeans, but would be a bit too thick under stretchy breeches.

rockfordbuckeye
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:39 PM
spanx original footless - no lines, no chafing and you look like you've lost 5lbs :lol:

ex-racer owner
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:43 PM
A while back there was another poster who brought this up. She recommended Hanes Opaque (or something like that) boyshorts from Target. I have never had any luck with boyshorts (usually would ride up or not enough coverage) so I was skeptical. I ended up buying this particular fabric Hanes undies, but in the bikini style, which is the style of undies I like. These Hanes bikinis were awful under breeches! I did end up taking a chance on the boyshorts and I love them for under breeches! I do have a very shapely, albeit large, butt and these actually stay in place and I don't have VPL. They are also a very lightweight fabric that seems to dry quickly if you get sweaty- I sometimes wear them when running, so I appreciate that about them.

*Battle Worthy*
Mar. 29, 2011, 11:35 AM
A while back there was another poster who brought this up. She recommended Hanes Opaque (or something like that) boyshorts from Target. I have never had any luck with boyshorts (usually would ride up or not enough coverage) so I was skeptical. I ended up buying this particular fabric Hanes undies, but in the bikini style, which is the style of undies I like. These Hanes bikinis were awful under breeches! I did end up taking a chance on the boyshorts and I love them for under breeches! I do have a very shapely, albeit large, butt and these actually stay in place and I don't have VPL. They are also a very lightweight fabric that seems to dry quickly if you get sweaty- I sometimes wear them when running, so I appreciate that about them.

I 2nd the Hanes opaque boy shorts. I love them! I wear them all the time now - they look great under dressy pants for work, too.

Unfortunately, it seems like my local Taget has stopped carrying them - I have been checking for them every time I stop in (usually about once a week) and they haven't had them for the past month or so. :( I may have to check online or see if someone else carries them.

Opus1
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:30 PM
Are the Hanes in the women's section or the guys section?

Just curious. I'll have to look for those too, since I'm not sure I can afford more than a couple pair of the Under Armour.

Thanks for the suggestion!

*Battle Worthy*
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:58 PM
Are the Hanes in the women's section or the guys section?

Just curious. I'll have to look for those too, since I'm not sure I can afford more than a couple pair of the Under Armour.

Thanks for the suggestion!

In the women's section & they come in 2 packs - I want to say they're approx $8/pack, so definitely cheaper than the Under Armour.

gottagrey
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:00 PM
I guess I've been blessed as I've never really had an issue w/ this... I wear what is comfortable and miminal VPL... for me that's been either a boy short type or french cut... no bikini...

spacytracy
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:12 PM
I wear big grandma undies. Not the real ones but nothing tiny or bikini.

I have to be comfortable. I really do not care about VPL. If that's what people concentrate on, then that's their business but I don't care.

I could never wear a thong. The sweating, the chafing. Ugh. I would be miserable by the end of a ride or a show.

wildlifer
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
Ew, butt floss. Even worse when they're hanging out of someone's waistline. I'm with tracy, I don't give a flying flip about panty lines. They tell me people are wearing underwear, which, quite frankly makes me happy. The alternative, ew. I just wear normal cotton underwear, it works just fine.

LSM1212
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:22 PM
Under Armour... all the way.

Across Sicily
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:32 PM
Victoria's Secret, the Pink line, makes no-line boyshorts and bikini cut underoos. They are extremely comfortable and don't show up under the britches. At $5 a pop you can't really go wrong!

Gloria
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:15 PM
Huh? You need something "special" to wear under breeches? :confused::confused::confused: The only thing different for me is to make sure to wear flesh color underwear for dressage competitions so it won't show through the white breeches.... I will think boxer style will be kind of bulky and annoying under breeches though.

TarheelJD
Mar. 29, 2011, 05:39 PM
I 2nd the Hanes opaque boy shorts. I love them! I wear them all the time now - they look great under dressy pants for work, too.

Unfortunately, it seems like my local Taget has stopped carrying them - I have been checking for them every time I stop in (usually about once a week) and they haven't had them for the past month or so. :( I may have to check online or see if someone else carries them.

I just ordered some of these Hanes Opaque Boy Shorts from Sierra Trading Post. They are on close-out on their website, so my guess is they are being discontinued. The sale price is $4.25 for a pack of two. Shipping for 2 packs was about $6.

Opus1
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
Huh? You need something "special" to wear under breeches? :confused::confused::confused:

More or less. The kind of boxer briefs I wear now are slightly thicker and a bit bulkier than others. They are fine under jeans, but with breeches, I think they'll be too much fabric and will feel weird under the thinner stretchy material. I'm not much for traditional panties, so I was hoping for some ideas.

And to some earlier posters: Comfort's the biggest factor for me. If the suggestions mentioned also deal with VPLs, all the better. :)

TheJenners
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:18 PM
My experience with the UA boyshorts:

I originally got them for wearing on patrol, because the underwear I was wearing at the time (Victoria Secret, don't remember the model) was giving me a wedgie from sliding in and out of the car for traffic stops. Nothing like being only partially focused on the job, when you can't stop thinking about the three inches of fabric in your butt crack.

My problem with them was that my thighs were bigger than my...uh...bikini area? No idea what to call it. But the part on the thigh would roll up into the slimmer area, where normal underwear stops, causing a roll of fabric. Ungood, tossed them in frustration.

I wear "hip huggers" in cotton from VS now, still have VPL when I ride though.

kellidahorsegirl
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:32 PM
Victoria's Secret, the Pink line, makes no-line boyshorts and bikini cut underoos. They are extremely comfortable and don't show up under the britches. At $5 a pop you can't really go wrong!

I wear these...the "hipsters"...

and then a while back I got the Body line, hiphuggers. I got white for my 'classic' breeches and I couldn't see them at all.

The VPLs on both are VERY minimal...like you have to be starrrrrrrring at my toosh to see them ;)

I gave up caring about the VPL a couple years ago (I'm 28) and have been happy ever since :p

*Battle Worthy*
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:35 PM
I just ordered some of these Hanes Opaque Boy Shorts from Sierra Trading Post. They are on close-out on their website, so my guess is they are being discontinued. The sale price is $4.25 for a pack of two. Shipping for 2 packs was about $6.

Thanks for the tip - I just went there and ordered several pairs, so I'll have enough to last for a while! Such a bummer they are being discontinued.

As far as the VPL - I never worried about it for riding, but I got these for under work pants and they are so comfortable and always stay put, so they just became my everyday choice! The no VPL under breeches is an added bonus, but not one I went out and searched to eliminate.

MeghanDACVA
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:46 PM
I never thought about having special undies to ride in. I just wear my normal, usual, everyday underwear. I guess I am not vain enough to worry about panty lines. But then again, given my age related chubbiness I doubt anyone notices the panty lines for the other "lines".

Equibrit
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:52 PM

WalMart. http://www.walmart.com/browse/Intimates/Panties/_/N-975yZ1yzntc9?ic=48_0&catNavId=1078024&path=0%3A5438&ref=429190+4292529993&refineresult=true

NeedsAdvil
Mar. 29, 2011, 11:44 PM
I usually wear the super stretchy microfiber bikinis. I can't stand boyshorts, they ride up, are too bulky, and while I love them in theory, they have not worked for me. In my early/mid 20's I was all about the thong, but not so much anymore. I buy the cheapest, thinnest microfiber panties I can find at Target for riding. For every day, I get the VS cheeky panties, usually no lines, more coverage than a thong, and sexier than bikinis. For the record, they aren't noticeable under breeches either, but CAN ride up a bit, so aren't my first choice.

Bogey2
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:00 AM
which style of the under armour do you all wear? I have been wearing "barely there" high cut nylon panties for years but would like to try something else.

lrnrssll57
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:28 AM
I love Soma vanishing edgs boy-shorts. Good material that stays in place without cutting into tender areas. Enough material to cover the fanny. Spankx are good but tend to feel too tight around the waist after long hours for me.

LSM1212
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:27 AM
which style of the under armour do you all wear? I have been wearing "barely there" high cut nylon panties for years but would like to try something else.

These are the ones I wear (hipster)...
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens/apparel/underwear-and-socks/underwear/pid1001956-Women-s-Active-Hipster/1001956-100

They also come in boy short and thong. :lol:

ETA: I can only wish to have that kind of body that the models on the website have! :winkgrin:

Canaqua
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:55 AM
Stretchy, microfiber boy shorts style underwear I get cheap at Marshalls and places like that. No seams, just flat edges that don't dig in anywhere and the "boy short" style gets the leg openings away from my crotch area, where they might rub and off of the widest part of my hips, so there is no panty line.

*Battle Worthy*
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:23 PM
WalMart. http://www.walmart.com/browse/Intimates/Panties/_/N-975yZ1yzntc9?ic=48_0&catNavId=1078024&path=0%3A5438&ref=429190+4292529993&refineresult=true

Thanks for the link, but none of those listed are the Opaque style. I ended up ordering from Sierra Trading Post, where they are on closeout, so they are, most likely, discontinued.

Mako
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
I don't really care about VPL either. I have to be comfortable and as long as they don't creep where they shouldn't be :winkgrin:

I wear my Victora Secret or Pink undies. I like the hipster/ low rise ones. Boy shorts I find uncomfortable because they ride up in the legs.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:08 PM
My first thought - UNDERWEAR!

kookicat
Mar. 30, 2011, 03:44 PM
I wear big cotton granny pants. :winkgrin: I don't really care about VPL, and I find them comfy. Plus, I have problems wearing technical fabrics- it tends to make me itch. Not really what you want in that area.