PDA

View Full Version : Show Shirt Sizing: Girls 18 vs Womens 32

mestel
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:03 PM
Just wondering if anyone has experience wearing a girls size essex show shirt when you are an adult...a very cheap adult.

I'm a 32 or a 30 in womens essex shirts, small chested, and narrow in the middle. My concern is that my shoulders might be a little too broad for a girls size shirt. Unfortunately, I've only ever found size 16s in stores but apparently size 18 does exist online from SmartPak.

Anyone ever worn a size 18 kids shirt? Could you tell me what your shape is like?

Thanks!

Phoebe
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:24 PM
yup I tried it - I'm usually a small in women's clothing (32 or 34 bust size), not big up top at all - tried a girls 18 and the shoulders were a little snug but the biggest problem were the sleeves -- too short - and there was not a lot of tail to tuck in -- enough but I like a little more -- so it worked but just barely and I decided I just wasn't comfortable enough -- darn it since girls shirts are so much cheaper -- I'm pretty sure it was an Essex that I tried -- I wonder if other makes might be a little larger - seems like their's are pretty fitted

PonyPenny
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:29 PM
The thing I have found with the girls vs. women's sized dress shirts is that the girls shirts are too short in the sleeves and too short in the tails. This is a bummer as my daughter can easily wear the girls size shirts in the bust and waist.

HappyHorselover
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:53 PM
The thing I have found with the girls vs. women's sized dress shirts is that the girls shirts are too short in the sleeves and too short in the tails.

Yep, this is what I've found. I tried it, but it wasn't quite right.

ponymom64
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:28 PM
My DD can wear both a girls 18 and a ladies 32. She is broad shouldered but petite, so hasn't had problems with length. I've found that the ladies are more tapered through the body

Darkstar
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:08 AM
I'm quite short, but a petite adult - and I can get away with wearing both a 16 (a bit snug) and the 18 (just fine). I guess I must have short arms, because I didn't find the sleeves to be too short.

I'd maybe order one, try it, and if it doesn't work - send it back. It is a lot cheaper than the adult sizing so it's worth a shot.

forward ride
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:48 PM
My DD can wear both a girls 18 and a ladies 32. She is broad shouldered but petite, so hasn't had problems with length. I've found that the ladies are more tapered through the body

i am a 32 and can do the 18, but the shoulders are a bit less perfect than a 32. the biggest problem for me is that the neck is tight. i can do it, but it's uncomfortable. it's also uncomfortable paying more for the same shirt and i do ride jumpers, so i only need to button my collar for the classics. also, have recently used a collar from 32 shirt and that helped.