PDA

View Full Version : Blossom came home

wireweiners
Mar. 28, 2011, 06:19 PM
Recently my dad sold the last of his mama cows to a person who is leasing the ranch across the road. Among those cows was a young cow that my daughter had raised on a bottle since she was abandoned by her mother. My then 10 year old daughter got up every morning at 5am to give Blossom her bottle before school and then went out every evening before homework to give her her evening bottle. It was understood that Blossom was her cow. So when my dad decided to sell the other cows, he asked what she wanted to do about Blossom. My daughter wanted to keep her. But my dad sold her anyway. He promised my daughter the money from the sale but that didn't happen either.

The buyer kept the cows in a corral for a few weeks and then put them in his pasture. A very well fenced pasture, I might add. Sunday, we were going to feed the horses and I noticed a white cow in the pasture. It was Blossom! I don't know how she got out of the guy's pasture but she came home. I am going to try to buy her back from the guy. Wish me luck.

Kachina
Mar. 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
I've read that cows are very loyal if they have a lot of people contact. I hope that you can keep that sweet girl!

Puddin Pie
Mar. 28, 2011, 06:28 PM
That is so sweet. Reminds me of the James Herriott story with the same named cow and the same general idea. Good luck.

alto
Mar. 28, 2011, 06:31 PM
Cows can jump pretty well when they are motivated to do so :yes:

ladybugred
Mar. 28, 2011, 06:31 PM
Good luck!!

LBR

BeastieSlave
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
Good luck! I hope Blossom gets to stay home....

Applesandsugar
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:30 PM
awww! She is meant to be yours. Sadly, offer just above the meat price. I hate to think of it that way. But she wants to be yours.

chemteach
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hurrah for Blossom. Hope you can buy her back.

WoofNWhinny*
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:38 PM
It was understood that Blossom was her cow. So when my dad decided to sell the other cows, he asked what she wanted to do about Blossom. My daughter wanted to keep her. But my dad sold her anyway. He promised my daughter the money from the sale but that didn't happen either.

WHY in the world did your Dad sell your daughter's cow in the first place?!???:eek::eek::no::mad: If he was planning to sell Blossom, why did he ask your daughter? If he was honoring his granddaughter's request and keeping the cow, what happened, did the cow get mixed in with the rest of the herd and sold accidently???

:eek::confused:

Somermist
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:41 PM
Aww, good luck. Hope you can keep her.:cool:

fivehorses
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:57 PM
I would offer a price, but to be honest with you, if he doesn't take it, I would mention that the cow was sold to him illegally since it was your daughter's cow, and as a minor it is your cow and you will take legal action. First one being an injunction that he can't remove the cow.

then, I would hide the cow somewhere. Oh, I so hope you keep Blossom.

I am not sure how legal standing any of the above is, but I'd play nice, and if the guy didn't respond, well, I'd work on his heartstrings with your daughter, and then I'd get nasty...and be willing to follow up on it.

alto
Apr. 2, 2011, 12:45 AM
Does the guy even "know" Blossom from any other cow? will he just assume that his cow disappeared, end of story?

DiablosHalo
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:50 AM
Actually - the cow belonged to her dad. Her daughter only cared for the cow and "thought" of it as hers. Legally it's the dad's cow. Shame on dad for taking the cow from the girl. Double shame for asking the girl and still selling the cow.

Hopefully the new owners across the street will have a conscience and let the girl have the cow. Especially now that it found it's way "home" already!

HydroPHILE
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:14 AM
Cows can jump pretty well when they are motivated to do so :yes:

On the cattle ranch I worked in 2001-2002, there was a Red Limo cow nicknamed "Wild Mama." She would put some Grand Prix show jumpers to shame. She could successfully clear 6 feet without even taking a running start.

She was a psycho cow (well she was nicknamed "Wild Mama" for a reason!) that would prance around the pastures with her head high up in the air snorting and blowing. She was a real PITA to doctor every year as she would keep jumping out of the doctoring area.