PDA

View Full Version : Barn search in NE Mass and Southern NH

Alternatetheory
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:05 PM
Please forgive the alter, I know my current BO reads these, and I'd rather handle something like this in person rather than through COTH.

I'm looking to move my horse. I've gotten frustrated in my current situation and I think it's time to go. I'm looking to hear what people have to say about Scarlet Hill and Shepley Hill, since both are convenient in terms of drive time. Specifically I'd like to hear about the instructors.

I'm in Littleton. Are there other barns in the area that I just haven't heard of? Any hidden gems that I should check out?

I'm looking for a place with training for a nervous adult that does the low level stuff. I'd like to go to sanctioned events. Bonus points for other fun activities and easy access to hacking.

silver pine
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
I have not boarded at either facility but I know both Meredith and Denise at Scarlett Hill and you could not ask for a better facility or people. I know they have a strong kids program and people have varying opinions on barns with kids. I believe both Denise and Meredith do a good job of meeting their clients where they are at and working on goals together- that's what I hear anyway. They have tons of clinics and schooling shows also.

I board at Davis Farm in Bedford. www.edfarm.com I'm not sure if we have stalls available- we have some horses down south right now, but it's an outstanding facility and the training is top notch. Stephie Baer is coming for a clinic on Sunday so we are an active eventing and dressage barn.

Good luck

Lisa Cook
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'm looking to hear what people have to say about Scarlet Hill and Shepley Hill, since both are convenient in terms of drive time. Specifically I'd like to hear about the instructors.

The property where Shepley Hill at Puritan Hill is residing has been sold & will be developed into a college campus...the new owners are saying that the property will retain the horses, but if you or your horse is the type to be bothered by construction, keep that in mind, as several buildings will go up, and a church that is currently on main street will be moved there.

I've trailered over to Scarlet Hill many times to ride and the property is just lovely. Denise & Meredith both teach for our pony club and are both very positive, upbeat, encouraging instructors.

CookiePony
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:17 PM
Lainey Johnson is at Highland Hill (http://www.laineyjohnson.com/highlandhillfarm.html), and is very good at building confidence. You an also check with her about when she might teach at other barns in the area.

CANTEREOIN
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:13 AM
Lainey Johnson is at Highland Hill (http://www.laineyjohnson.com/highlandhillfarm.html), and is very good at building confidence. You an also check with her about when she might teach at other barns in the area.

I ride with Lainey and with Stephie Baer. Love the folks at Davis Farm and really think that Scarlet Hill does a great job and the facilities are awesome. Let me break a bit of this down:

Highland Hill - Berlin MA - great barn, great care - Lainy Johnson teaches there. Might be a hike... Board is $850-$900 the last time I checked.

Davis Farm - Billerica... I'll let Silverpine fill you in.

Scarlet Hill - monthly board - $800-850 again, last time I checked. There is a lesson requirement... one or two a week.

Hope that helps some.

goodmorning
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:48 AM
Is Beth Murphy, of Mast Hill Farm, a possibility? From my discussions with her, limited viewing of both herself & her students riding, and an endorsement from a several-time Olypian on her horsemanship, riding, and coaching skills - she seems worth looking into ;) Very friendly & knowledgable family, it seems.