PDA

View Full Version : Phillip and Bobby withdraw application

Itsabeautifullife
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:54 PM
http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/03/phillip-and-bobby-withdraw-their-application.html

Thoughts on their decision and where it will proceed from here?

atheventer85
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:04 PM
As much as I would love them to have a shot at coaching, the USEF obviously has had it's mind made up since day 1. Bobby and Phillip would make a phenomenal team, however, it's obviously not meant to be.

Robin@DHH
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
I still am wondering how long the tenure of a coach for
USEF is. I can see that whoever it picked will likely serve
through the 2016 Olympics, but what happens beyond that?

OverandOnward
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
Phillip's and Bobby's ideas are as valuable now as they were in the EN interview back in Feb. Given their obvious wish to act in the best interests of the team, if whoever is selected wants to tap into those ideas, even ask Phillip and Bobby to do some work on them, no doubt both would be happy to oblige.

The job that we're proposing that we can do is going to encompass the whole sport, not just coaching a team as such, but we're going to be trying to bring along a big pool of four star riders ultimately, and having a pipeline of riders, horses, and owners, and encompassing the whole spectrum which will ultimately make this country a great eventing nation. Phillip Dutton, in the interview published Feb. 25 in EN

We both want to fundamentally change the ways in which this country is bringing along and selecting teams.Bobby Costello, in the same interview

http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/02/phillip-dutton-bobby-costello.html

The most optimistic view is that this turn of events is a greater blessing than their selection would have been. Perhaps now they are freer to work toward these larger goals, not tied to the activities of producing the team itself.

Phillip and Bobby have acted with team spirit and grace, even if many would have liked to see them stay in the running. I would like to think that their potential leadership contributions are far from over.

Whatabeautifullife
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:05 AM
I think it would be of great benefit to the sport if, like OverandOnward said, whoever took the job utilized some of the ideas of this great pair of candidates. It is undeniable that their systems work and have produced great results. It is not just this job that needs change, but many other aspects of eventing in the United States as well, so perhaps Phillip and Bobby would be able to assist in restructuring the program without their time absorbed with the job of Chef and Technical Advisor.
I commend them for withdrawing tactfully and with class, and I believe their true dedication to furthering the sport was shown in their desire to unify, not divide, the eventing population.