PDA

View Full Version : Seeding a new pasture

Bluehorsesjp
Mar. 28, 2011, 04:33 PM
Like the title says I have a band new pasture that will be seeded this April as soon as the weather permits.
It is irrigated, but we are in Colorado so basically high desert.

I was wondering how long I will have to keep horses off of it to allow the grass to grow and establish itself.

Also is "new" grass richer and higher in sugar compared to established pasture?

We will be using a dry land pasture mix recommended for our area.

HPFarmette
Mar. 28, 2011, 05:30 PM
We try for a minimum of six months on a brand new pasture to let the grass develop some roots. One year is better. But I'm in the northeast, I don't know what your soil and climate may imply for where you are....
As far as "new" grass, I'm not sure but I believe the sugar content IS higher, thus we are cautious about letting them out on early spring grass in large quantities (founder).

Bluehorsesjp
Mar. 28, 2011, 05:34 PM
So basically we need to keep the horses off for 6 months to a year. Until we have an established root system.
Well that is really not what I wanted to hear. :(

mjhco
Mar. 28, 2011, 05:38 PM
Contact your local Cooperative Extension Service Office to get recommendations for your specific area. In Colorado it varies greatly.

JCS
Mar. 28, 2011, 05:40 PM
So basically we need to keep the horses off for 6 months to a year. Until we have an established root system.
Well that is really not what I wanted to hear. :(

I have no personal experience, but I have always heard one to two years is best. If you let the horses on it too soon, they will just destroy it. I know, it sucks! We have a new pasture that needs to have topsoil added and needs to be seeded as well, and I've hesitated because it's going to suck to have to keep the horses off it. Right now it's just subsoil and rocks. Bleh.

JumpingForJoy
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:39 PM
Contact your local Cooperative Extension Service Office to get recommendations for your specific area. In Colorado it varies greatly.

I live in Colorado too and I agree with mjhco's advice as it does vary depending on where you live. I live in No. Co and I just had one of my pastures reseeded. I was told that I will need to keep my horses off of it the entire year to get the grass established. However, I have non-irrigated pasture.